PDA

View Full Version : Unwelcomed or not?

2.2vtec
07-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Ok here is the situation i'm in.. I just got a new job at the bank being a financial service rep(personal banker). Part of the job is that I attend a training program where I'm in the branch for 4 days with a "mentor", someone i'm supposed to shawdow, and 1 day at the training center. Anyways when I first get into the branch where i'm supposed to be training, the manager writes a note through our intranet saying that she "owes this girl a favour cause she is letting me shawdow her" I found that rude and it made me feel unwelcomed. They don't train me at all at this branch and they just leave me in an office doing nothing...I've talked to other people in the training program and they say they are receiving alot of first hand experieces with their mentor! I tried talking to HR rep to switch but she told me that I should talk to my mentor, but I think that will create tension. Overall I feel really uncomfortable at this branch and feel sick when i'm there. What should I do? quit? talk to the mentor? I"m not getting the training that I should if I stay there....Any sugguestions???!!

2.2vtec
07-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Ok here is the situation i'm in.. I just got a new job at the bank being a financial service rep(personal banker). Part of the job is that I attend a training program where I'm in the branch for 4 days with a "mentor", someone i'm supposed to shawdow, and 1 day at the training center. Anyways when I first get into the branch where i'm supposed to be training the manager writes a note through our intranet saying that she "owes this girl a favour cause she is letting me shawdow her" I found that rude and it made me feel unwelcomed. They don't train me at all at this branch and they just leave me in an office doing nothing...I've talked to other people in the training program and they say they are receiving alot of first hand experieces with their mentor! I tried talking to HR rep to switch but she told me that I should talk to my mentor, but I think that will create tension. Overall I feel really uncomfortable at this branch and feel sick when i'm there. What should I do? quit? talk to the mentor? I"m not getting the training that I should if I stay there....Any sugguestions???!!

...and also there was a time where I was in the office with my mentor and she got a phone call and started talking in another language..which is fine, it was obviously his friend but then cut the lesson short and told me to leave because he had to "promise" a loan request! ...

2000_SI
07-16-2005, 12:58 PM
What bank do you work at?

abyss
07-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe talk to the mentor and ask if you can be switched to another branch. Make up whatever reason you feel is neccessary, I want to be closer to my house yadda yadda. See what the reaction is and then decide.

01RedDX
07-16-2005, 01:09 PM

Obscura
07-16-2005, 01:12 PM
The only person that is going to have a negative outcome by the lack of training is you. If you can't complete a future task because of a lact of knowledge I doubt the bank will care that so and so didn't do their job. You're there for a purpose and it's up to you to make sure that it gets done.

:dunno:

GTS Jeff
07-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Wahhh Wahhh welcome to the real world, bitch boy. You will encounter tons of people like this, so learn to deal with it early on.

Try talking to the manager first. You're right to not talk to the mentor cuz they'll just resent you more and make things worse. If that doesn't succeed, talk to the HR rep again; it's their job to make sure you're properly trained.

HTH.

crazyning
07-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Get one of your peers to email you what they've learned in the training program, and foward that email to your mentor. In the email fowarded to your mentor, pose the following question:

Do you have a timeline of when I would be learning this? It sounds like something that is pivotal for myself to perform the job in a manner that would be considered respectable.

Send a carbon copy of that email to your HR rep and your mentor's superior.

Give it a week, if nothing happens and you still feel unwelcomed, I'd say that would be the point to quit.

Of course, everybody has to pay their dues when starting a career. Not many people are going to get their ideal job when they first start.

Kona9
07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm Kona9's room-mate and I manage a branch in Calgary. There are a lot of correct opinions throughout this thread. The 'Bank' has the responsibility of providing the resources with which for you to train, but its ultimately your duty to extract as much as you can out of the opportunity...its your training...you own it.

Having said that, you need to do something about sitting in your office and doing nothing... you are not doing yourself or your company justice. You need to talk to the branch manager and express your concerns over your lack of engagement in the branch. "Do I need to be more proactive with your mentor?...what should my training look like?... what can I do to improve my training situation?"...basically you need to establish some expectations of you, your manager, and your mentor.

Remember to document this conversation. If things don't improve after having this very candid conversation with your manager, you need to be able to provide hard facts to your HR department if you decide to request a branch transfer. You need to be able to establish that you did everything in your power to change the status quo. It's your word against the word of a tenured, established manager, which speaks for your need to be thorough.

And don't take the "I owe you one" thing personally. You have to remember that these personal bankers have sales targets and those targets don't get smaller or easier to achieve when they have to train. Just be as accomodating, cooperative, and appreciative as you can be. You get alot more out of people when you show appreciation for their time and knowledge. Good Luck man!!

D. Dub
07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Take responsibility for yourself and your learning.

Don't just sit at a desk doing nothing and complaining about your mentor.

Show some initiative!!! :thumbsup:

2.2vtec
07-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm being proactive by learning bymyself but I don't think I'm getting out what I"m suppose to be out of the training program...I set my expectations too high..

ex1z7
07-17-2005, 02:07 AM
If you feel like you're not going to be able to do your job.. Don't. Don't "quit" just sit at your desk and play games and sleep. You'll get a cheque before you get fired for not knowing anything. That is, if you don't really want the job..