PDA

View Full Version : I Fixed my Digital Cluster!!!

dymz999
07-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Wow wicked stuff. I went to autodream and bought a digital cluster they had there that was messed and didn't work. So i took it apart and soldered a couple new capacitors on to it. Swapped it onto my digital cluster and guess what a Now functional cluster.

I took the the digital speedometer to this electronics shopped and they did some tests to determine the faulty components. In reality a $6 fix guys! Makes me happy. Now i just hope i didn't get a photo radar ticket when i was on mcknight when i went to auto dream to pick the cluster up, shitzy!

On a side note, i'm gonna use the spare cluster part to build a customized gauge cluster. Aftermarket speedo, water temp gauge, oil press gauge, boost gauge all in the cluster. EZ stuff!!!

schurchill39
07-16-2005, 10:02 PM
man that will be nice, post some pictures when your done

1mns13
07-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I may try the same. I have one I'd love to sell. And would sell better if working.

TypeS
07-16-2005, 10:15 PM
i was thinking of doing something similar, with a 1/4" sheet of carbon fibre and aftermarket speedo/tach and other gauges. ive been really thinking of it lately i might just do it

dymz999
07-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Well i'm gonna make mine out of 1/8" aluminum and try to find gauge that are in "km/h" aka JDM gauges for it. After which i'll likely sell my digital one or well i dunno.

For anyone that needs their digital gauge to be fixed I can totally show you how to do it or if you aren't a soldering pro I can do it for you for free. It took me a total of 35 minutes to do this including taking the gauge cluster out and everything. For the record it is not the crappy soldering joints that made the power circuit board stop functioning but rather the shitty capacitors they use on them, i mean they are quite crappy.

TypeS
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
right on man, im sure digital cluster owners all over the world would thank you for finding another possible cause!
Who makes aftermarket KM/H gauges anyway? and what kind of price range for the gauges?

dymz999
07-17-2005, 12:37 PM
jdm speedo gauge would be like hks,greddy/trust, maybe defi and some companies like that. I'll be poking around for it.

AND yes it does own that they are fixable. Until now people would either pay nissan $300 for a new one or swap it for the analog cluster. I'm going to make a detailed webpage on how to do it with some good pictures. Essentially though the actual digital speedo face does not get damaged. It is the damn power board that snaps on to it that gets fried. Any electrical shop could probably fix it for like 20 bucks if your soldering skills ain't hot.

Not that it matters but i had the speed tested just yesterday and the speedometer test came out with 0% error so they are accurate.

What i'm going to do though is keep the digital speedo and then cut the holes for a medium sized tach and the rest of the gauge i want. I think it will look super pimp. Afterall i have a second completely functioning digital gauge cluster now thanks to the boys at autodream!!

snowboard
07-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Damn, i took my cluster and car into auto dream and since i had the dash removed they tried different clusters and none worked? so i dont think i have the same problem as you. i wish, i'd love to fix it haha, i have it goin into the nissan dealer on tuesday cause i just cant figure it out and auto dream is taking too long with the parts they said they would get me.