PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions

mshaw
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi
Im a new owner of a silvia and i am just wondering, when i got it insured i got it insured as a 240, does everyone else have it insured under that too? i know it is exactly the same as a 240 over here but i was just wondering.

Also i have noticed that my speedometer is kinda weird, when i am driving 40 km i keep with traffic in a 50 and when im on anderson i do just under 70 and keep with traffic too, is this the same with anybody else who owns a silvia or is it just mine

Thanks

schurchill39
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Uh you have to insure under a silvia i am almost positive. 240sx arent right hand drive and have a different engine dude. check into it

mshaw
07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah i know, thats what i said but AMA didnt have it in there computer as a silvia

braden883314
07-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by mshaw
Hi
Im a new owner of a silvia and i am just wondering, when i got it insured i got it insured as a 240, does everyone else have it insured under that too? i know it is exactly the same as a 240 over here but i was just wondering.

Also i have noticed that my speedometer is kinda weird, when i am driving 40 km i keep with traffic in a 50 and when im on anderson i do just under 70 and keep with traffic too, is this the same with anybody else who owns a silvia or is it just mine

Thanks

You should insure it as a silvia, search around, tell them its the same chassis as a 240sx, i go through Blue Cirlce Insurance.
OH did u buy Import Concern's Silvia with the SR swap, if so i can tell u right now its because it has a speedo swap and the 17" wheels will change that to, on the plus side, lower Km's will show up on your odometer, you can get it fixed at Mr. Speedometer probely, even tho they specialize in american cars. Me and Christian saw how off it was, i would be in my car and we'd compare while driving.

Originally posted by schurchill39
Uh you have to insure under a silvia i am almost positive. 240sx arent right hand drive and have a different engine dude. check into it

yeah.

yeah i know, thats what i said but AMA didnt have it in there computer as a silvia

They wont have it, u will be able to insure it tho.

~Braden

On a side note, Welcome, come out to meets, PM me for more details.

mshaw
07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
thanks a lot man, i am very interested in that, i will let you know

and i should have it insured as a silvia just to double check, i guess i will have to look around then

TypeS
07-17-2005, 05:12 PM
yea get it insured as a silvia, my insurance company (shitty one) had a fuss about it but in the end i told them to just write it down and quit complaining, just because the chassis code doesnt fit in they're 17 digit space doesnt mean anything....its still a # assigned from the factory to identify various aspects of the car and give it an origional identity....end of story:D

then they still screwed it up too, instead of S13-094... they put 513-094.. lol i hate my insurance company.

oh, and way to go on the sexiest car ive ever had the pleasure of seeing/driving....your car is everything i want mine to be.....but now that your car is here i have to change my plans because we dont want 2 looking identical now do we:angel:

looking forward to meeting you at some meets soon:clap:

R34-crazy
07-17-2005, 05:22 PM
most insurance company's will insure cars not produced here in north america under a different name. When I had my skyline it was insured as a maxima.. kinda wierd but i guess thats how they will do it untill there are a lot more jdm cars rippin around.

mshaw
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
ok, so i guess then i should just call my insurance company cause im gettin mixed answers, i hope i can just leave it as a 240sx, did u have to pay more for sayin it was a silvia or was it just the same Type S?

braden883314
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by R34-crazy
most insurance company's will insure cars not produced here in north america under a different name. When I had my skyline it was insured as a maxima.. kinda wierd but i guess thats how they will do it untill there are a lot more jdm cars rippin around.

Yeah some insurance companys will do that, it would probley be better if the car on you insureance card was the same as the one u are driving, just incase of mishaps right? get pulled over cops looks at your insurance and says a maxima, but it says skyline on the back, now the serial # would match but just to save tha hassle right?

~Braden

mshaw
07-17-2005, 05:32 PM
yeah that makes sense, thanks for all the help lads

braden883314
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
ok, so i guess then i should just call my insurance company cause im gettin mixed answers, i hope i can just leave it as a 240sx, did u have to pay more for sayin it was a silvia or was it just the same Type S?

with the new legislation on insurance, basic insureance is the same on any car, wheither is a honda or a lambo, same price, its collision that makes the difference. at least so i was told by my company.

~Braden

TypeS
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
they used the 240sx statistics to determine my premiums i think

schurchill39
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by braden883314

with the new legislation on insurance, basic insureance is the same on any car, wheither is a honda or a lambo, same price, its collision that makes the difference. at least so i was told by my company.

~Braden

Haha when i was shopping around for insurance getting quotes i used that actual example. "So if i had a lambourgini gallardo it would be no different from a civic" the guy freaked out and was like "What the hell you drive a lambo and your only gunna put PLPD on it are you stupid" haha it was pretty funny. I was like "no dude i'm 16 it was only a question"

mshaw
07-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39

Haha when i was shopping around for insurance getting quotes i used that actual example. "So if i had a lambourgini gallardo it would be no different from a civic" the guy freaked out and was like "What the hell you drive a lambo and your only gunna put PLPD on it are you stupid" haha it was pretty funny. I was like "no dude i'm 16 it was only a question"

haha thats funny, im gonna go in and talk to my insurance company today, thanks for the input

DENZILDON
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Well it still depends on you past history...tickets, collisions, etc.

Topher got his insurance for 130 or 140 dollars I think. But he needs to get an appraisal to get a comprehensive insurance.

mshaw
07-18-2005, 11:19 AM
yeah i went in and got it figured out this morning, its all good now