PDA

View Full Version : Rerouting my battery to the trunk?

XylathaneGTR
07-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Well, i have a situation at hand.
My intercooler piping goes right through the stock battery tray, so i have a much smaller battery in my car. (Slightly longer than the length of my hand, slightly wider than hand.)
For normal starting duties, this battery works fine, but i don't have a lot of confidence in it for days that arn't so nice.
So, since there is absolutly no room in my engine bay for the battery, the next logical choice is trunk.

My (ideal) plan would be to buy a fullsize battery, and build and move it to the rear left side of the trunk, in that little 'cubbyhole' behind the wheel well. Also, building some sort of secure way to hold the battery in place and seal it off from the rest of the trunk, to prevent any thing from touching/hitting it at any point in time.

Now my question:
Can this be "somewhat easily" done, or is it quite the challange?
The few people that i've talked to about it (just friends right now, i've just been tossing the idea around over the past few days) say this is a harder thing to do. Is it really?

I've attached pictures to help clarify what i mean.
Thanks, all input is really appreciated.
-Darren.

A shot of my current situation, for reference.
http://members.shaw.ca/xylathanegtr/new031.jpg

An MSPaint explanation of what i'm thinking of. sorry for dirty trunk/shitty pictures.
Red = Battery.
Blue = Battery Connections.
Green = Some sort of removeable box?
http://members.shaw.ca/xylathanegtr/new30a.JPG

Any Ideas/help/pointers anyone?

jdmakkord
07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Or pick up a slim optima deep cycle dry cell for under the hood.

b_t
07-18-2005, 08:43 AM
if you move it to the trunk you need to buy a battery box, Summit Racing will have an entire kit of everything you need.

JAYMEZ
07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I moved my battery to behind my seat , its actually pretty damn easy to do , and I wouldnt be suprised that they have a battery relocation for your car... Im not sure if it will work , but RX-7s have a bettery relocation kit and I wouldnt be suprised if it worked for your car .

XylathaneGTR
07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
I'll keep everything updated on how it goes.
Where is Summit Racing?
Also, Where would i be able to find this RX7 kit?

Hollywood
07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Do a search with my name, I think I gave a bunch of info on it when i did it to my 240.

XylathaneGTR
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Do a search with my name, I think I gave a bunch of info on it when i did it to my 240.

illeagle
07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
buy a battery box from auto value.. i got mine for $15.00.. it's vented, and black plastic...

Mine is done on my car, and if you plan on running your car at race city, your gonna need to install a battery kill switch,

i also suggest adding a grounding kit. When i relocated my battery, i was having troubles starting up the motor once i turned it off after driving it for a while..more ground points fixed it.