PDA

View Full Version : TV Repair

ronaldo
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
my tv doesnt turn on anymore, whenever you press the power button u can hear it click trying to turn on but then it just shuts off right away, nothing even comes up on the screen....anyone know any good & cheap places to get this fixed. its a perfectly good tv and id hate to throw it out. or if anyone knows how to fix it or could assist me in fixing it i would really appreciate it. thanks....

01RedDX
07-18-2005, 05:31 PM

eblend
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
is it a toshiba by any chance?

ronaldo
07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
no liquids spilt on it or anything...was working perfectly fine till yesterday when i tried to turn it on

Krayzie
07-19-2005, 02:11 PM
we had the same problem occur to our tv a little while back
we called up some asian guy who lived near my house and he fixed it for around 140 (i think it was)
he also charges like 45 dollars to come in and take a look at it, but he didnt charge us that because he lived so close to our house

anyways i dont know his number at the moment but if that price seems good to you let me know
ill get that number for you

rahim
07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
same thing happened to my hitachi, took it to Vistec, cost $90 that was more then a year ago, still works great

ronaldo
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
shit thats pretty expensive...if its gonna cost me that much i dont know if its worth getting it fixed or just picking up a new one:dunno:

when you guys got the tv fixed did they say what the problem was?? maybe i could read up n do it myself??:confused:

Xtrema
07-20-2005, 02:46 PM
32"+ May make sense to spend a few bucks.

Anything smaller, don't bother.

Krayzie
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
32"+ May make sense to spend a few bucks.

Anything smaller, don't bother.

exactly, our tv was 36" so it made sense to get it fixed

but ya man i dont think you would be able to do it your self
he unsoldered some parts replaced them and then soldered them back
soldering isnt the hard part, its knowing what parts to unsolder and replace

Charon
07-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I managed to fix a 42" that I picked up for free. It was the horizontal refresh transistor and another problem that came up was three transistors with cold solder joints on the vertical hold circit. Before I attempted tv repair I did ALOT of research. There are many tv repair guides on the internet just google for them they are very long and contain lots of information.
I also posted in the sci.electronics.repair group with a VERY detailed description about what was going wrong with the tv. I had posted before with a meager desciption and got nothing. But a tech awnsered and had a DB of some kind and came up with the exact problem I was having with the same model of TV. And followed the instructions, which by the way you would have had to know which parts of the tv electronics did what to know what they were talking about. Now the tv works fine.

Unless you have an electronics degree allready or ALOT of time it is not really worth it. But you will learn alot.

ronaldo
07-22-2005, 02:35 AM
lol u willin to take a look at my tv for me??:D

Charon
07-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Took me a few months of tinkering/learning just to figure out the other one. And I still concider myself lucky I was able to find the problem. Try it out you will learn alot. If the tv is that important and you cannot afford to get it fixed its great once you are able to do it yourself. I dont even have time to do that for myself anymore.

scrolanky
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the it is the High voltage transformer that is gone...probably around $100 with labor.

Charon
07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Could be the HV or something near it. If you hear more then one click may be one of the protection circuits giving up. Its also possible there is enough dust to short the HV Power supply. And a cleaning could fix it, well it wouldnt hurt. Well any kind of short near the HV will cause this as well.