PDA

View Full Version : ticket question

calgarygts
07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey all, I got a speeding ticket between Red Deer and Rocky Mountain House a few weeks ago and the court date is coming up (in one week). I have no problems with the ticket as I deserved it but wanted to know if anybody knows how I might go about trying to fight the points on this ticket from being put on my record. I've finally gotten to a point where I have a good record and I don't want one screw up to put me in the doghouse for another three years. Any suggestions/ideas/experiences? I know that I can't take it to the justice here (already tried), but have to do this in red deer, which I have no problem doing.
Thanks for any help.

QuasarCav
07-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Most I've seen knocked off is 2 points.

calgarygts
07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way - I don't really care about the points all I want is for this ticket not to show up on my record for insurance purposes. Is it points that they look at? Can someone who knows how this works please let me know?

mike0989
07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
How fast were you going?

calgarygts
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I got caught doing 123 in a 100 zone (which kinda sucks because i was passing at the time but whatever, I got it)

QuasarCav
07-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Short of the ticket being thrown out I cant see a way that It wont be on your record. The insurance company uses the point system to determine what if any impact it will hvae on your premium.

Ticket=Points
Points= Bad record
Bad record= Increase

So the less points you have (refer to first post) the less increase you will see.

calgarygts
07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go to court and ask for a point reduction, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

frostyda9
07-18-2005, 09:28 PM
calgarygts I'm in the same situation. I've gone from $3300/year PLPD to $775 full coverage. It literally took me years of consciously trying to be extra careful to do it. Then, on Sunday I got a shitty ticket, 2-3 points and a $172 fine. I'm going to call Pointts and see what they say, and if all else fails go down in person and try to plea. It can't hurt.

calgarygts
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I know exactly how you feel, I've been consciously trying to drive better and it's worked. Then I got this ticket while passing someone, which I think sucks, and right when one of my last tickets expires this one goes on my record! I suggest going to talk to a justice of the peace before the court date if you're going to plea anyways.

mike0989
07-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Go to the court talk to the crown and often times they can throw out the demerits and give you a ticket for being the registered owner (same as photo radar) so no demerits...but that all depends on how the crown is..ive got two done like that one was 100 in an 80 and another was 65 in a 50 both no points just paid the fine.