PDA

View Full Version : Is your car remote starter nescessary?

SilverRex
01-26-2003, 01:04 AM
How many of you actually installed one? I use to have one on my celica GT.. maybe I got a defective one.. kuz even at a range of say 20 metres it still wouldnt start. so I had to basically walk up to the car.. (that kinda kills the purpose of the starter)

right now I dun have one on my subaru so should I get one?
I know its great during winter cold and all but with 250 dollars I can get some other stuff :)

OPGForce
01-26-2003, 01:13 AM
My "Compustar" works great in the winter (.25 mile range). The new ones have 1.25 mile range.

szw
01-26-2003, 01:40 AM
I don't have one...a little cold sometimes, but I don't mind it. Its all the exercise I get!

sexualbanana
01-26-2003, 01:56 AM
my heater sux ass so the more time it has to warm up the better.

max_boost
01-26-2003, 02:24 AM
I live and die with my remote starter.....especially that long walk from campus to the parking lot! The car is already warm by the time I get there! And can't forget about them cold mornings :D

Weapon_R
01-26-2003, 06:29 AM
If you want a kickass starter, email 12V on this board. I've got a couple done from him for family, they all work great.

His DSE combo alarm and starter has a 2000ft range, and i'm getting one installed tomorrow for dirt cheap!

And yes, both of my parents cars have em, and they live and die by them. IMO they are worth every penny.

CanadaCivicSIR
01-26-2003, 03:36 PM
I have the new Viper 790 Pager Alarm/Starter Combo, I love it, works awesome more then 3 km range and tells you exactly what your alarm is doing.

For ex: car started, exhaust smoke shows on the remote.

ecstasy_civic
01-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If you want a kickass starter, email 12V on this board. I've got a couple done from him for family, they all work great.

His DSE combo alarm and starter has a 2000ft range, and i'm getting one installed tomorrow for dirt cheap!

And yes, both of my parents cars have em, and they live and die by them. IMO they are worth every penny.

i got mine installed on fri. works awesome, worth every penny plus i got power doorlocks put in too:rofl:

Mikko
01-26-2003, 05:37 PM
:eek: What's this? A remote control that starts up the engine and heating? 400 meter range? Anyone care to explain it more? Never seen one. I read about something like that for the highest end Mercedes cars some years ago.

Stratus_Power
01-26-2003, 05:50 PM
why are you so amused :D its just a remote car starter that you can use to start your car from your house or far away.. cost as little as 100 bucks CAN for some crapp y one

Blue Devil 2
01-26-2003, 05:54 PM
I enjoy mine in the summer when I use it for air conditioning purposes.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Oh what a waste. I've never been in cars with AC really :tongue: Family never owned one. It builds character! haha.. and as for winter, I don't count on the heater. Just dress appropriately. Gloves and the bunch.

Voted now.. useless, don't want it.

Phats
01-26-2003, 10:26 PM
but really, isn't it bad to warm your car up for more than about a minute. I heard that because when the car is idling, it isn't a complete burn and you get a build up of carbon. Not sure but this is what I heard, however from a fairly reliable source. Anyway, just my thought

missblondie
01-26-2003, 10:48 PM
i could never live w/ out my compustar... especially after the cold spell we just had... but each to thier own i guess.

SilverRex
01-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by acuraxx
i could never live w/ out my compustar... especially after the cold spell we just had... but each to thier own i guess.

so one one hand you have food and shelter and on the other hand your compustar.. and you can only pick one.. which one do you think you will pick =]

HRD2PLZ
01-27-2003, 01:19 PM
I have had remote starters in my last few cars, I suppose I could live without them (I park in a garage) but the convenience is well worth the cost IMO. I could part with my compustar and just go for a starter. Cold leather sucks ass to sit on (when the heaters haven't warmed up yet) so its very convenient for me to have remote start :dunno: Its personal preference, some people like them and others don't.

Mikko
01-27-2003, 01:27 PM
The Jetsons

Meet George Jetson.
His Boy Elroy.
Daughter Judy.
Jane his wife.

boi-alien
01-27-2003, 02:01 PM
i like my compustar, it's nice to be able to start the car from mckimmie library and walk to a nice warm car in lot 11 or art parkade

egmike
01-27-2003, 05:01 PM
I would never go back to not having a car starter, if you don't park in a garage at night it is definitely a must!!