PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the supercars

ronaldo
07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
check this out....found it pretty interesting:

Battle of the Supercars (http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4022225&src=News)

heavyD
07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I just don't find alot super about the Ford GT. The car was in developement for decades and the first year models were plagued by some serious problems. Suspension control arms that were defective, security systems with a mind of it's own, and my favorite the oil leaks due to improperly machined cranks. Fords fix was to sleeve the crankshaft on affected cars. Sleeving is a ghetto method of rebuilding a bottom end so how would you like to be the person who forked over the major $$$$ especially the initial ones that were marked up and know that your performance machine has a bottom end consisting of a sleeved crank.:thumbsdow

Car & Driver has an article titled something like this; "Ford's Super Cars deliver a Super Headache". It's an interesting read on how to botch up a supercar.

69cougar
07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
my favorite the oil leaks due to improperly machined cranks. Fords fix was to sleeve the crankshaft on affected cars. Sleeving is a ghetto method of rebuilding a bottom end so how would you like to be the person who forked over the major $$$$ especially the initial ones that were marked up and know that your performance machine has a bottom end consisting of a sleeved crank.:thumbsdow

What are they suppose to do? Give the guy a new engine? I agree with you it is a lot of money to spend and habe it repaired in that manner but I am sure it is warrantied. I don't know of any manufacturers that would do it any different and give a whole new powerplant.

heavyD
07-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar
What are they suppose to do? Give the guy a new engine? I agree with you it is a lot of money to spend and habe it repaired in that manner but I am sure it is warrantied. I don't know of any manufacturers that would do it any different and give a whole new powerplant.

If I paid $140000 US, I would want a new/the proper crankshaft in my engine wouldn't you? Hell if I paid $50000 I would want that. They wouldn't have to put in a new engine, just the bottom end.

bspot
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
It doesn't matter, Saleen S7 will pwn all. :closed:

EK 2.0
07-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

Honda did on the DC ITR's...and ITR's were had for WAY less than the Ford supercar

Alpine Autowerks
07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Fords fix was to sleeve the crankshaft on affected cars. Sleeving is a ghetto method of rebuilding a bottom end

Using a repair sleeve on a seal flange is an order of magnitude less than a bottom end repair and far preferable. Would you rather have the flat rate boys at a Ford store tap in a new sleeve & seal or have your car down for a month and have the engine hanging from a chain on cherry picker banging up parts, stretching the wiring harness they forgot to take off and never having the engine cover line up again?

69cougar
07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Like the work you do??

Just Kidding!!

:poosie:

Alpine Autowerks
07-20-2005, 09:25 PM
how else do you think I came up with that ? :D

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by bspot
It doesn't matter, Saleen S7 will pwn all. :closed:

Do you know what the funniest thing is about your comment?

Saleen does the lion's share of the Ford GT assembly process, including the engine.

So, really, it was Saleen's manufacturing problem. In fact, Ford is considering giving the GT contract to Roush Performance over the whole debacle.

How do you expect Saleen to make a good $375,000 hypercar when it can't even build a $150,000 one correctly?