PDA

View Full Version : Computer Cooling Question

AznDragon2004
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Should I have one fan for intaking air and one fan for exhaust or should both fans be exhausting??

Also how would I connect a 3 pin fan to a molex connector without buying a adapter? What I want to do is cut off the connector of fan and molex of power supply and just attach the wires but i'm not sure which wires?

So i'm just wondering if anyone here knows?

Khyron
07-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Front intake, rear exhaust unless you have a side port in which case that's your exhaust. The idea is to get the hot air out of the case.

You can cut the wires, but to actually get them to stick takes some work because the pins are so close the wires often touch. The adapter is like 3 bucks isnt it?

Khyron

GTS Jeff
07-20-2005, 11:18 PM
The best setup is to have 2 intake at the front and bottom of the case, and then let the PSU fan do the exhaust work. Make sure to have filters on your intake fans.

This way, your case will remain dust free AND be well ventilated.

AznDragon2004
07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Front intake, rear exhaust unless you have a side port in which case that's your exhaust. The idea is to get the hot air out of the case.

You can cut the wires, but to actually get them to stick takes some work because the pins are so close the wires often touch. The adapter is like 3 bucks isnt it?

Khyron

Where can i buy the adapter besides memory express?

AznDragon2004
07-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
The best setup is to have 2 intake at the front and bottom of the case, and then let the PSU fan do the exhaust work. Make sure to have filters on your intake fans.

This way, your case will remain dust free AND be well ventilated.

Where can i buy these filters from?

Khyron
07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
You should just get a better case, like a Lan Li or something, mine has two mounts for fans on the front with a removable filter, and then the HDs sit on their sides right behind the fans (for cooling) and then 1 fan at the rear for exhaust.

Some of my cheaper cases just have a mount for one fan at the front (some don't even have that) and there's no place for a filter at all.

A case is like a monitor - it can last for 3+ mb/proc upgrades so don't skimp on it IMO. Quick release thumb screws on everything rocks as well.

Khyron

GTS Jeff
07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by AznDragon2004

Where can i buy these filters from? Just any random air filter from Home Depot or something...Cut it to fit.

If you can eliminate dust from your case, it'll do wonders for any overheating problems.

MerfBall
07-21-2005, 11:12 AM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

intel's recommendations for chassis cooling are similar. If you really want a cooler chassis, get an aluminum case, power supply with dual fans (pretty common). Front intake, rear exhaust, use 80mm or larger fans. The key is to get proper airflow through the case.

AznDragon2004
07-21-2005, 02:07 PM
ok.

anyone here know how can i connect 3 pin fan to molex without buying adapter?

AznDragon2004
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
I found this on the compusmart website.

http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?SupplierPartNo=054462

will that work or do i need something that converts molex to 3 pin?

here is the molex to 3 pin but i don't want to spend $15 on something like this.

http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?SupplierPartNo=054903

So i'm just wondering if the first one will work just as good?

Khyron
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
The first one is just a splitter to run 2 fans off one small plug, won't help you with your big plug fan.

If the adapter really is that much, I'd just buy another fan or use the big power plug and not have the monitoring. I could have sworn they were cheap as hell, but maybe they are a lot less common now.

Khyron

AznDragon2004
07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
The first one is just a splitter to run 2 fans off one small plug, won't help you with your big plug fan.

If the adapter really is that much, I'd just buy another fan or use the big power plug and not have the monitoring. I could have sworn they were cheap as hell, but maybe they are a lot less common now.

Khyron

Sorry but i might have confused you but the fan i got is a 3pin fan so the first one will work?