PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Outlook express for Shaw account

redevil
07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
I need help to set up my Outlook Express with my shawmail account. I can't seem to set it up and it keeps coming up with
"The host 'shawmail' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'shawmail', Server: 'shawmail', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I have set the the incoming and outgoing servers as shaw mail

Please help

Ariane

Thaco
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
put your shaw username in the account field./

benyl
07-20-2005, 10:48 PM
do you have a router? If so, you need the full DNS name for your mail servers.

Call Shaw, they are quick to answer and helpful. Either that, or look at their online FAQ.

Khyron
07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
shawmail is right assuming you're using their dns - if everything is set to automatic. I'm on an internal lan etc and their aliases work fine.

Start->run-> type in cmd, hit enter, then "ping shawmail" no quotes. If it resolves, fine if not, you have bigger issues.

The fully qualified name is shawmail.cg.shawcable.net, try that as your in and out servers as a last resort.

Khyron

Seanith
07-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
shawmail is right assuming you're using their dns - if everything is set to automatic. I'm on an internal lan etc and their aliases work fine.

Start->run-> type in cmd, hit enter, then "ping shawmail" no quotes. If it resolves, fine if not, you have bigger issues.

The fully qualified name is shawmail.cg.shawcable.net, try that as your in and out servers as a last resort.

Khyron

You just got my shawmail to work again :rofl:

Thanks so much! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

AllGoNoShow
07-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Behind routers seems to screw up the DNS servers on some of the computers, and others not.

I use shawmail.cg.shawcable.net on my house
shawmail.wp.shawcable.net in Winnipeg, and ed obveously for edmonton. Works well.

redevil
07-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
put your shaw username in the account field./

I have done that.

Originally posted by Khyron

Khyron

This comes up when I try that
"C:\Documents and Settings>ping shawmail
Ping request could not find host shawmail. Please check the name and try again"

Could it be cuz my ISP is from Telus, but my webmail is with Shaw or that does not matter?

Xtrema
07-21-2005, 12:45 AM
shawmail's fqdn for Calgary.

shawmail.cg.shawcable.net

redevil
07-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
shawmail's fqdn for Calgary.

shawmail.cg.shawcable.net

what does this mean? I'm not that familiar with it

turbotrip
07-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by redevil

what does this mean? I'm not that familiar with it

put that where it asks for incomming and outgoing mail servers for your POP3 account

AllGoNoShow
07-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by redevil

I have done that.

This comes up when I try that
"C:\Documents and Settings>ping shawmail
Ping request could not find host shawmail. Please check the name and try again"

Could it be cuz my ISP is from Telus, but my webmail is with Shaw or that does not matter?

Yes, that matters.

Shawmail is a local domain that is apart of the shaw network ONLY, only Shaw users can DNS that and get something out of it. If you switch to another ISP, they don't have that in their DNS database.

Use shawmail.cg.shawcable.net and you will have no problems.

beyondmooch
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
If you are using a Telus connection, you will not be able to PoP(access) into Shaws mail server, this applies to fully qualified domain name (shawmail.cg.shawcable.net) as well. The only exception would be if you have a business email account (premium price).