PDA

View Full Version : shiftknob face.

Skyline_Addict
07-21-2005, 09:45 PM
here's (one of) my shiftknob.

http://www.ipsracing.com/images/product_spoon_shiftknob.jpg

unfortunately the shiftknob face (it's a sticker) is kind of off center when i screw on the shiftknob all the way. is there anyway i can remove the sticker easily without scratching it or using sharp objects? submerging it in some sort of solution which won't deteriorate the metal or the sticker?
want to get it off so i can put it on straight. thanks.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Try using a blowdryer/heat gun to loosen the adhesive. Then use a flat-bladed screwdriver with the end covered in electrical tape to lift up the sticker without scratching it.

Skyline_Addict
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
mmm i tried heating it, but that didn't work too well. the reason why it's hard to get a screw driver, or something flat and sharpe under the sticker is because the place where you place the sticker is sorta caved in to accustom the sticker nicely into the face, so it gets really hard to dig in under it.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Hmm, I guess the only other thin I can think of would be to force it off with something really thin, like a putty knife, but then you risk scratching or breaking the emblem.

What did you use to heat it up? It's probably held on with some very strong adhesive, your standard-issue blow dryer may not be powerful enough.

Skyline_Addict
07-21-2005, 11:49 PM
yeah. i used a blow dryer. i think the only way to get it off "safely" is to use a method where you don't have to touch it with anything sharp. hopefully there are some sorta solutions out there that dissolve glue (and nothing else on the shiftknob, naturally) that i could just dump it in for an hour or something. :(

sabad66
07-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Just keep turning until it's centered.

Skyline_Addict
07-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Just keep turning until it's centered.

tried that. :nut: it wouldn't go all the way with the strength of god on my side. and obviously keeping it looser so that it's centered (temporarily) isn't much better.

A2VR6
07-22-2005, 02:14 AM
hmm my idea is to put a washer near the bottom of the threads on the leaver so then there are less threads... just keep adding 3/8" washers until you get your shift knob centered... I hope that makes sense.... then you can cover the washer up with the shift boot. I think the problem is that the threads go down too far.

Skyline_Addict
07-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
hmm my idea is to put a washer near the bottom of the threads on the leaver so then there are less threads... just keep adding 3/8" washers until you get your shift knob centered... I hope that makes sense.... then you can cover the washer up with the shift boot. I think the problem is that the threads go down too far.

good idea! :thumbsup: