PDA

View Full Version : VTEC head??

Ferio_vti
01-26-2003, 11:13 PM
I had it on a CRX SI with a vtec head(you can tell in the pics by the way the vtec solenoid and the way the spark plugs are point forward on the head rather then in the rear of the head).

WTF is this guy talking about??? Sound's like:bullshit: to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401272838&category=33742

van
01-26-2003, 11:29 PM
a maybe 92-93 civic si header? damn i dont remember what it is exactly..rickdatuner was telling me about it?

boi-alien
01-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
a maybe 92-93 civic si header? damn i dont remember what it is exactly..rickdatuner was telling me about it?
he's asking about something completely different

feri_vti: i've read in a few places that it is possible to use the crx block and put a newer d16 sohc vtec head on. they're both d-series motors so i don't see a real problem doing that, and it should work. the valve cover does look like a d16 sohc vtec head. so he might not be lying. i'm not 100% sure on this though.

Ferio_vti
01-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by crxboi

he's asking about something completely different

feri_vti: i've read in a few places that it is possible to use the crx block and put a newer d16 sohc vtec head on. they're both d-series motors so i don't see a real problem doing that, and it should work. the valve cover does look like a d16 sohc vtec head. so he might not be lying. i'm not 100% sure on this though.

Yah, I understand the head/block swap, like on a LS/Vtec job.
Okay, so explaining how the plug/wire setup is different is legit, that's only way to tell a vtec vs a non-vtec head then??

egmike
01-27-2003, 05:17 PM
It is called a mini me swap, and actually the valve cover is different, on D16a6 the plugs are closer to the intake manifold and on the d16z6 , d16y8 the plugs/wires are closer to the exhast side of the head.
Here is the Z6 head:

You can also tell it is vtec by the solenoid, it will be on the backside of the head on the #4 cylinder

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/images/head.jpg

And here is a D16A6 or older head

Ferio_vti
01-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MR8
It is called a mini me swap, and actually the valve cover is different, on D16a6 the plugs are closer to the intake manifold and on the d16z6 , d16y8 the plugs/wires are closer to the exhast side of the head.
Here is the Z6 head:

You can also tell it is vtec by the solenoid, it will be on the backside of the head on the #4 cylinder

And here is a D16A6 or older head

Okey, but what about D16Y7 and D16Y8 heads, they look pretty much the same?? How can you tell the diff?? Valve covers on 1996+ don't say Vtec on them.

CanadaCivicSIR
01-27-2003, 07:07 PM
On a D16Y8

Look for the vtec solenoid on the left side of the head, has a green/yellow wire going to it

Ferio_vti
01-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CanadaCivicSIR
On a D16Y8

Look for the vtec solenoid on the left side of the head, has a green/yellow wire going to it

Thanks!!