PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler LeBaron turn signals

Zero102
07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey, My G/F's mom owns a 91 LeBaron GTC Convertable, and while she's away I fix all the things that are wrong with the car that piss me off. Already got the headlights and trunk and many other things sorted out, but I'm really stuck on one problem.

The right signal light clicks at double speed, and the front right signal light doesn't work.

My first thought was the bulb, which was indeed burned out. I changed it, no luck. I pull the bulb, and get an oscillating 13.5V on the correct pin, but as soon as I put a light bulb in, I only see about 1 - 1.5V on that pin. Leads me to think there is a bad connection somewhere. I have heard that the relays are famous for going bad, so I swapped the front left and front right turn signal relays, still no go. I thought perhaps it was the socket, so I bought a new one, and swapped it in, no luck.

Is it possible for the turn signal switch to cause this problem? This one really has me stumped (I've done a lot more troubleshooting than I mentioned, but most of it got me nowhere).

Thaco
07-22-2005, 04:58 PM
well its not really odd to see the voltage go from 13v to 1-1.5 considering the bulb probably consumes 12v... strange situation though

Zero102
07-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Sorry, across the bulb I only see 1 - 1.5V.
I also see ~0.2V between the ground wire at the bulb and the ground on the battery when this happens, so I presume it's not a bad ground?...

Zero102
07-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Gah, I pulled the turn-signal switch, and it's a single-pole switch... not the problem :(

I've been told there is a 'turn signal module' buried somewhere in the dash.... could this be the culprit? I wasn't even aware that turn signals could be so complicated.

big mooe
07-23-2005, 08:04 PM
yea same thing with my moms cavalier cant figure it out!

Jatt87
07-23-2005, 08:18 PM
did u change the flasher

Zero102
07-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Didn't change the flasher, and here's why: It's a 4-pin flasher, which means it has one pin for power in, one pin for ground, and 2 outputs. It toggles between the 2 outputs. (Or maybe it's a 3 pin? either way...), so if it was the flasher, it would affect both sides, and it would also affect both front and rear turn signals. I checked the output of the flasher, and it's just fine.

This stupid car is driving me crazy.....