PDA

View Full Version : Retail/Fast Food Jobs

soontobeped
07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I am probably going to get a part time retail job to fill some extra time up, so I am curious how many of you have had these and your opinions? Just looking for something basic where I will not get too attached. Not looking to learn anything heh.

From everything I have read and heard, FS and Canadian Tire are out. Would like to work in a food court or such. . .
Anyone ever work at. . .
Wendy's?
McD's?
Starbucks?
Sunterra?
Jugo?
DQ?
Tim Hortons?
et cetera. . .

Just curious, thanks for any feedback.

hockeybronx
07-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Well for myself that list doesn't really have the ideal places to work. I know you said you "aren't really looking to learn anything" but why don't you work somewhere that coincides with your interests?

For example if you like golf work at Golf Town, or Nevada Bobs, if you like sports in general work at Sport Check or Sport Mart, even Home Depot would be a decent place to work.

The jobs you listed will lose their novelty (if they have any) real quick.

Just my $0.02

Skyline_Addict
07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Well for myself that list doesn't really have the ideal places to work. I know you said you "aren't really looking to learn anything" but why don't you work somewhere that coincides with your interests?

For example if you like golf work at Golf Town, or Nevada Bobs, if you like sports in general work at Sport Check or Sport Mart, even Home Depot would be a decent place to work.

The jobs you listed will lose their novelty (if they have any) real quick.

Just my $0.02

he's right. you won't last long at a job you don't like, especially when you don't really need a reason to work there! find something you like, atleast, or something you could see yourself doing!

you sound way too casual to be working at places like this, imo.
you'll end up quitting in a week.

Davetronz
07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Yea, you will probably want to stab yourself at those jobs listed above in no time...

I agree with hockeybronx, get a job that you like and that you are interested in...

Hell it looks better on a resume too.

soontobeped
07-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the input. ;) I currently have a job. . .just need a filler job for extra hours. The big thing is limited transportation and experience. Sounds silly, but I think if I go for a "good" place, then it will take me a long time to get a job. I just need the money right now so want something easy to get and easy to leave. Even I think that sounds stupid, but. . .

Team_Mclaren
07-23-2005, 12:03 AM
If you are only looking to fill time and earn a little extra on the side, a fast food place or retail isnt "THAT" bad. But they are right about doing something that you have interest in. Time goes by slow when you are doing something you hate and for sure you will quit in no time.

Also, how old are you? I worked at MCD for more than a few years since when I was 15. It wasnt such a horrible job as some might suggest. You get to meet some people, know a bit on how a fast food place (an actual business) is ran and stuff. And the extra money for when I was 15 was definity helpful. It was a good starting position and something to show for on your resume.

soontobeped
07-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, have not had a job yet that I did not want to quit the first day. ;) Have never quit, though. Need to make money so I can save up and go to school. I am 23. . .I know that is sad. Just have had little experience and in nothing worthwhile. In terms of something I enjoy, that would probably be movies/theatres but those jobs tend to be night jobs and I already have an evening job.

kaput
07-23-2005, 09:24 AM

soontobeped
07-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I really understand where you guys are coming from, and if I was on the other side I would probably be saying the same thing. However, right now my credit is absolutely dead, I am getting a place of my own (not by choice) and have to worry about all the bills, rent, and such. I am sure I can live for a year or so without furniture or new clothes or such, but if I do not get another job I will have to try to live another year without food and toilet paper lol. Financially, I can not go to school right now and I can not get a loan. Yeah $7/hour is a lot less than what I could get if I had skills, but right now $7/hour is a whole lot more than nothing. Unfortunately, my "experience" puts me between a rock and a hard place. . .telesales/marketing and amusement park. Too far from any amusement park to work (no car) and the telemarketing jobs here are either night jobs or turned me down. :drama: :nut: Really, though, I have been looking at jobs that interest me and that I am "qualified" for since April, and it has gotten me no where.

Okay, how about I steer away from the retail/fast food aspect. What about something like a prep cook? Do restaurants usually hire such a role without experience. At least there I would be learning something and could eventually move up.

01RedDX
07-23-2005, 02:57 PM

kaput
07-23-2005, 03:01 PM

hockeybronx
07-23-2005, 06:16 PM
"Soontobeped" check your PM

Official Hoser
07-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I worked as a photographer/sales associate at Sears Portrait Studio a few years ago. The pay wasn't the greatest (marginally better than a fast food place), and the job also wasn't the greatest (90% of customers are people with little kids).

However, they required NO experience, there was a high demand for workers so it was easy to get hired, and the hours were good (mostly daytime, nothing past about 8pm). Most people who worked there were students. The first couple of weeks were spent training, which you got paid for. You don't have to know anything about photography or be good at technical stuff.

And it's on the c-train (Lions Park) if you require easy transportation.

Having said that, it was also one of the shittiest jobs I ever had. The appointments were often booked back-to-back and it was hard to stay on schedule, and I just don't like kids (or parents) that much. Still, I would go back if I was desperate for money.

You also get about 10-15% discount at Sears. Yay.