PDA

View Full Version : Accident

Lee_8
07-23-2005, 01:32 AM
My GF has recently gotten into an accident which was her fault. The damage was minor to car she had hit. Also she has already filed the accident report with the police. I am just wondering if it is too late to negotiate with the person to avoid getting insurance involved. Furthermore what should she ask them to do to avoid them from suing in the future after she has paid for the damage out of her own pocket. Any information would be great thank you very much for your time and help.

schurchill39
07-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Well i am pretty sure that after you filed the police complaint it will go through insurance. Please some one correct me if am wrong but i am pretty sure. Also you didnt need to contact the police if there was under 1000 worth of damage but personally i think she did the right thing by contacting them

ninspeed
07-23-2005, 08:11 AM
^^^ your wrong... If a police report has been filed, you dont need to go file a claim. Contact the peron, and see how much damage is done to the car, you may have to file a claim. Alot of people dont know how quick 1000$ adds up in an accident. If you can afford to pay out, check with your insurance first how much your rates will go up... sometimes its not too much if its first accident.

At the end of all this, remember, a vebal contract is worth shit unless recorded, so have the Third Party sign something

SiG Baby
07-23-2005, 08:45 AM
^:werd: . You can even call your insurance broker and they will advise you on how to proceed not going thru insurance and the repercussions. Cops don't care what you do, and neither does insurance as long as you have willed out the report.

mroseneder
07-23-2005, 08:51 AM
I work at the police department. Police do not forward the claim to the insurance company automatically - it is the responsibility of those involved. By all means you can communicate with the other party to make sure the claim does not go through insurance. Even if the collision was reported, your rates should not go up unless there is a claim.

Good luck. If you have other questions, PM me.

Lee_8
07-23-2005, 09:19 AM
I really appreciate everyones help here thank you very much for the advice. Also i forgot to mention we are from Edmonton i understand that this is a Calgary based site; would our location affect the procedure at all?

CRX-R
07-23-2005, 09:22 AM
no, they are alberta laws