PDA

View Full Version : SOUNDSAROUND Deck install!

old&slow
07-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Was looking for a deck to replace OEM unit in an RSX.
Went to SoundSurround and got a Alpine put in.
Fisrt thing I noticed was that they took out the whole plastic unit and I had no little door thingy. Then I seen that the deck was not flush but suncken.
A little info later and Im made aware that they swap out this part for a universal part that's completely unneccasary.
I had the deck installed by another guy and he put back the original oem part that required only the deck change.

Now the ugly stuff...I went back to SS and asked for a refund on the part they sold me...about $25 - 30
"Sry no refund on install parts." But I said It didnt need to be installed. "Oh yes that's the RSX part".
I told him it's not an Type S and I didnt need that part.
I said the deck is in there without your part!
He repeated the first line. Then abrubtly turned and walked away without as much as a kiss my ass!
I guess we were done.
Very rude and very much lacking for service.
Never will I deal with a SoundSurround again!!

PorknBeans
07-23-2005, 02:26 PM
that is why you get a deck from visions (never had an issue with them) or install it yourself

Ekliptix
07-23-2005, 02:30 PM
They suck balls. I'm never buying anything there again.

tictactoe2004
07-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Soundsaround

:thumbsup:

They never do refunds, never ever.

old&slow
07-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
Soundsaround

:thumbsup:

They never do refunds, never ever.

Except they sold me a part that wasnt needed...that boarders on fraud! :thumbsdow

7thgenvic
07-23-2005, 03:52 PM
hahhaah sameeee here, when i was 16 and didn't know anything about my car, they sold me RCA's saying i Needed them, even though i was using a factory deck for my subs!

i was stupid back then, but fuck i hate that shop

old&slow
07-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Seems like stupid has no age limit.
I aint seen 16 in a long long time but I dont know much about this kinda stuff and it was easy for them to take me in!
Oddly when I was there trying to get a refund for it I got the feeling that they know how to deal with folks who are not happy. They seemed to be quite versed in how folks react.
I felt I was being "handled" by a lot of experience!

Which goes to show they must have to deal with that kinda thing lots! Maybe thats why they havta asdvertise so hard.
Maybe folks are reluctant to go there!?!

brodmeister
07-23-2005, 07:52 PM
i say we rebel and take down sound sarround! :guns:

old&slow
07-23-2005, 08:04 PM
We could do a drive by!:nut:

dooman24
07-23-2005, 08:08 PM
HAHA get some signs and walk in circle around the front door! haha scare the customers away.. hah then get on TV trash talk them.. haha

mshaw
07-23-2005, 08:22 PM
thanks for the info old&slow, im lookin for a deck right now and im for sure not gonna go there now, thanks for the heads up

Seanith
07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah those guys are brutal. Is this the Macleod Trail location? :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
07-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Shoulda done a search on them before you went there...sometimes saving $15 on a deck will cost you a whole lot more later.

old&slow
07-24-2005, 08:37 AM
It was the NE location Seanith.

It was a friend who brought me there!
He had dealings with them but I guess he never had to "deal" with any issues.
I know nothing about audio. But I learned a few things about service.

They are real assholes...thats for sure!

Evro
07-24-2005, 09:08 PM
ya thnx for the info, i was just thinkin a droppin by sound sorround, so what you guys recommend - visions?

coujoe
07-24-2005, 10:36 PM
yea.. i think vision does better job, at least i am happier with my new deck on my integra

brodmeister
07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
VIVA LA VISIONS!

VIVA LA VISIONS!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Down With A&B And SoundSarround! :drama: :guns: :guns:

lastprodigy
07-25-2005, 05:23 PM
i guess different ppl have different experiences evverywhere, some hate some shops while som rave about them...I, personally have had no problems and am 100% happy with soundsaround south's work on my car which included alot of custom work and tv....dvd install etc

old&slow
07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Most places are easy to deal with when u have no issues.
What makes them different is the way they treat u when u have a problem.
I guess to them the $25 part was worth more than my future business. They and all that work there can goto hell.:closed:

old&slow
07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I should mention that I have a 5 to 6 thousand dollar home threatre system in mind for a new house just a year or 2 down the road. I plan a complete media room with overhead projector and built in wiring and floor plan.

Fuck Soundsurrond then!

Ed the SOHC
07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
I bought a car starter as a xmas gift from them once...it was suppose to be in "next week"... it came closer and closer to xmas and finally it was so close to xmas that there was no way they would be able to install it on time. I asked for a refund of my FULL deposit from them and they said "we don't give refunds, blah, blah, blah..." We argued for awhile and agreed that I was right but they wouldn't refund me there and then. I had to wait for a cheque from head office (bastards!)

old&slow
07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Man I shouldn't been so impulsive when I got that deck...:banghead:

Mckenzie
07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Well that sucks to hear man....I went through a big ball of stress with them a couple years back and I ended up writing letters to the regional manager and the store manager about the service and attitude of the employees there. It was handled by a manager named James Alexander who rudly avoided and lied to me for 6 months about when and where my $45 would be coming to replace a peice of trim that was broken for a part they screwed up.

Oh and PS, if you are planning on buying a home theater system Mr Alexander is the head of all installs and will most likely be the person giving you the install consult. They guy is full of shit and the organization is a ripoff. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow for soundsaround

Black_ZX2
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I've been screwed a couple of times by Soundsaround (I gave them another chance and I was wrong) so now the wife doesn't even let me look there anymore. It's funny though. Although it seems everyone hates them, they still manage to stay in business and do very well.:dunno:

old&slow
07-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Black_ZX2
. It's funny though. Although it seems everyone hates them, they still manage to stay in business and do very well.:dunno:

There's always another sucker around the corner.
I can hear them laugh about it now!

07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
I also had a bad experince with soundsurround, I just pretty much "window shopping" for some subs. I had no intension to buy subs then, I was asking questions getting a little information. When the guy asked me if i wanted them installed today or if i want to make an appointment I told laughed and said Oh no i was just looking around and trying to get some information before i bought anything, the guys attitude changed just like that, and he said "well i guess this was all a waste of time, I thought you said you were buying them, i had other customers waiting, but I just wasted all this time with you!" I had no idea what to say to that. So I was sjust like uh alright and walked away. The next day I came back in and one of his co-workers came up to me and said "hey! you were looking at those subs and box yesterday werent you!" so i was like yea but i was just checking them out, he goes how much was he offering them to you for? I thought I would try my luck "$275" he looks at me "really? thats cheap, oh but these are the refurbished ones tho!, did you come back to get them" I bought 2 brand new 12' Jl's in a ported box, all brand new never opened for $275. I thought that was suffcicent punishment for the way he treat me.

As for visions, i feel that they are a well run store with good customer service, when i was looking there the sales man asked me what I wanted and gave me the best information for what i needed.

old&slow
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
A freind I work with had this story:

He and his buddy walk into SS. They see noone in the store and thought it was odd but continued to browse around. After a few minutes they heard a voice but could not tell where it was coming from.
The voice says something along this line:
"Oh sure, Come into the store with only 20 minutes left and not planning to buy anything anyway but just wasting everyone's time".

They had no idea what woulda happend if they had showed themselves. My buddy at work is quite a scapper and after about 5 minutes of calling them out and cursing them they left the store. Needless to say he never went back.

These guys are royal losers!

Lo)2enz0
07-27-2005, 05:38 PM
here's my little imput:

all of those shops are shitty unless you know someone there because you know that they will bitch at the person who fucked up for you. And you also know all of the little secrets that they do to people. I will never get any sort of car audio from a store again. They always think they know more about my car than me. God the guy was convinced that I could fit 6.9's in the back of my car when I couldn't, maybe 5x7's. But in sound systems are a waste of money, hell my cd player with the cassette adapter in my golf sounds better than some peoples systems.

pinoyhero
07-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by old&slow

Except they sold me a part that wasnt needed...that boarders on fraud! :thumbsdow

Well its only 25 bucks and they probably have some small print disclaimer but try taking it up with the BBB if you want to follow through with your vendetta

rmk
07-28-2005, 08:22 AM
:werd: :werd: these guys are still in business? after a few painful mishaps at both the ne and sw locations with the salespeople and managers, i thought i'd give them the benefit of the doubt and went back two weeks ago to look for some more audio gear and they still haven't pulled their heads out of their asses. i'm not going to ever spend money somehwhere where i have to bow down and kiss -their- asses. oh well, we then drove down to visions and spent some money there. damn, i couldn't imagine letting those twats touch anything in my cars. :drama:

firoz at the sw location is a straight shooter though, i like dealing with that guy when he is there.

GSR Zero
07-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I only deal with Soundaround once a year during their Big Four sale. But one year I made the mistake of buying a CD changer and paying their "special install rate". It was the worse install I have ever seen. :thumbsdow

But I will still go to their yearly sale to check things out.

Nissanaddict
07-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I buy everything through Firoz, and have never had any problems. I do my own installs, to his dismay, but I come back, and bring others. He knows what he's talking about. My friend got an amp and speakers installed in his truck with no problems there. They did a real nice install. I give them a :thumbsup: for sure. If he sees you twice, you'll be getting good discounts too.

mr.loco
07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
do u guys have a&b sound?

sputnik
07-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Quit buying cheap decks installed by the monkeys at Soundsaround. You guys all pretend to be ballers with your $30,000 cars (i.e. $500/month leases) and then you cheap out and waste your time with garbage audio retailers.

Audio Concepts Mobile is the place to go.

old&slow
07-28-2005, 04:40 PM
A cheap deck is all I can afford...There are Stainless steel Race Headers and Stainless Exhaust to buy...Decks have to be cheap!!!:D

skyline19
08-01-2005, 10:47 PM
sweet mother of god i was planning to go to SS this weekend!:eek:

and to buy a deck!!!:eek: :eek:

and to get it installed!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

going to visions now :bigpimp:

or that Audio Concepts Moblie sounds good.:bigpimp: :bigpimp:

rinny
08-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
If he sees you twice, you'll be getting good discounts too.

No you wont. You'll be getting the same discounts everyone else would get if they walked in and talked price, or went to a different store for the same item.

Been there, done that.

Markup on car electronics is so stupidly high so those who sell can make it seem like a great discount, but its about the same anywhere you go.

Thats the thing about Firoz, he makes it seem like your all buddy buddy, but all he wants is your dollar. Good salesman technique I must admit.

old&slow
08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I have another vehicle to buy a deck for now...It wont be from SS tho...

tictactoe2004
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Thats the thing about Firoz, he makes it seem like your all buddy buddy, but all he wants is your dollar. Good salesman technique I must admit.

:werd: That's the difference between a good salesman and a shitty one... either way they bone you, the good ones just use lube so it doesnt feel like a raping.

lol

Sorrik
08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Not cool , I had a buddy that worked at Soundsaround as an installer, he was there a week before he quit. He said that he could not believe the level of unprofessionalizim :thumbsdow . Apparently installers get paid commision at SS so the more they "up sell" the more they make. He said that one of the other installers told him that the guy had braced some dudes deck with a piece of wood A PIECE OF FRICKEN WOOD and called it a "custom install" $20 for parts. ASS CLOWNS ... I will never give SS any business :banghead:

GSR Zero
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
^^^ Actually that remind me about something. When I was getting my disk changer installed at Soundsaround I was talking with the installer. He asked me where I got my deck and speakers installed. I told him Audio Concepts. He was really impressed with the Quality (heh that kind of quality doesn't show up at his shop). He also mentioned that he was trying to get a job at Audio Concepts. Not a good thing when the guy said this openly to me in his own install shop.

Nissanaddict
08-03-2005, 12:32 PM

No you wont. You'll be getting the same discounts everyone else would get if they walked in and talked price, or went to a different store for the same item.

Been there, done that.

Markup on car electronics is so stupidly high so those who sell can make it seem like a great discount, but its about the same anywhere you go.

Hmm, funny. I've actually gone to other places and tried to see if these people would go as low as Firoz would (for stuff I already had). Visions failed, and A&B sound Shawnessy failed. I did both for my sub and my amp seperately. So make your own conclusions. Shop around, but my recommendation sits with soundsaround. Plus, the guy has never sold me any piece of equipment that's junk. All quality stuff.

googe
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
bring in a copy of the alberta fair trade act. it forbids charging for items you have no use for and such.

CLiVE
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
After having a deck installed in my stealth at Soundsaround I refuse to buy anything there (and haven't in 2 yrs).

Had electrical problems, airbag light, climate control was out, interior lights no longer worked, etc. etc. Fought with them for months, and finally had to take it in to the dealer and pay $400 for repairs.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

rahim
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
^^^ what was wrong with the car?

derek123
08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
The "no return" policy should be setting off warning bells, no ?

Some of you seem to enjoy learning the hard way. :dunno:

infected
08-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow, I was window shopping and thought SS seemed like a good store... guess not.
Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

ringmaster
08-20-2005, 07:18 PM
I find what works when going to a commision driven nut house like SS is to tell them what you are going to pay for a certain peice of gear. They will go to their computer behind the desk for like 15 mins and play solitare or go on msn and when they come back they will tell you that there is no markup on electronics and they cant give deals. Then you must laugh and proceed to leave the store. at this time the salesman will panic and "throw in" somting for you or just plain out give you a huge discount on the peice you were looking at. :thumbsup: works every time

max_boost
08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Quit buying cheap decks installed by the monkeys at Soundsaround. You guys all pretend to be ballers with your $30,000 cars (i.e. $500/month leases) and then you cheap out and waste your time with garbage audio retailers.

Not sure what the pretend to be ballers comment has to do with anything. :rofl:

A few years back when I was all crazy about car stereo and would go through a few setups per year, I had bad installs with stereos & alarms from the following places, RPM Racing, AutoDream (prior to the current owner), Visions and Audio Concept Mobiles. Believe it or not it was Soundsaround that corrected everything. Adam and Kenny who were the install guys at the Macleod and 32nd location were great. I know Kenny has moved on (last check 3 years ago he was at A&B Sound) and not sure where Adam is. What I'm trying to say is, if I were to get anything done to my cars, I will hunt either of those guys down. I know they do outstanding work and I will have my peace of mind regardless of what store I have to buy the goods from.

natejj
08-22-2005, 11:55 PM
I am glad i read all this... I think i would just get some Beyond members to install sound stuff for me, in return for beer or something... sounds like the best way to do it to me!

Nissanaddict
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
That's probably best. I install all my (and other peoples) car audio, and haven't had any problems yet, and have done bout 10 or so in the last 2 years. Haven't gotten a complaint yet.

natejj
08-23-2005, 12:15 AM
On another note....

I never realized the power of word of mouth... can you imagine how many of us are not going to use soundsaround now? They just lost like... 10k in future possible business! I bet if they knew why (its not casue of just 1 guy but ya know...) that guy wud be gone SO fast.

MrPid
08-23-2005, 12:48 AM

:werd: You DO get what you pay for....ACM get's it done right the first time without fucking you over.

Ballers? Mmm...were's a little too far north and a little too Redneck for that...

:rofl:

gchan
03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I was just about to spend about $13,000 at SS for home audio and visual equipment for my new home.

I am having second thoughts after reading this thread.

SS prices appear very competitive. For example, a Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV for $2,300 which includes a $300 bracket and installed.

Which other electronics store would you recommend that I check out?

cherpintow
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by gchan
I was just about to spend about $13,000 at SS for home audio and visual equipment for my new home.

SS prices appear very competitive. For example, a Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV for $2,300 which includes a $300 bracket and installed.

I realize this is an old thread but I'm gonna go ahead and also say not to deal with soundsaround. For me it was the crowfoot location. We bought a big screen there, the salesperson shook hands on a deal and everything was final. We walked over to the counter and he completely went back on the deal. We should have left right then but we had gone through all the motions so we ended up buying it.

handsomebassman
03-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I think i am one of the only people here to have good experiences with SS. lol. I mean, i only buy stuff off of my Jeep buddy who works there, but even when i came in to talk to him on a day he wasnt working, i got harrassed to listen to shit, and what day of the week i was avaliable to install the products that i dont want.

And, yes, the markups are rediculous. Personally, if you can do installs yourself, the internet is a great resource to buy your products.

gchan
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by cherpintow

I realize this is an old thread but I'm gonna go ahead and also say not to deal with soundsaround. For me it was the crowfoot location. We bought a big screen there, the salesperson shook hands on a deal and everything was final. We walked over to the counter and he completely went back on the deal. We should have left right then but we had gone through all the motions so we ended up buying it.

We will require installation services so is there any other electronics store that you would recommend since the prices at SS are reasonable.

I just checked Futureshop and it does not appear they can match SS prices.

canadian_hustla
03-02-2006, 01:12 AM
I realize this is an old thread but I'm gonna go ahead and also say not to deal with soundsaround. For me it was the crowfoot location

they are horrible. I had a sub/amp/deck install done a month ago, anyways all said and done it cost me $130 bucks. The deck install was ok, but the amp and sub box aren't screwed down to anything, and my capacitor that is connected to the amp has been connected, but not screwed down either. So it basically rolls around.

They also made short work of my plastic sub rings that go over the holes in the box around the sub, the plastic ring is scratched and sanded down and uneven.. it looks like shit

never again

xin
03-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I think when they do an install they charge you for 'basic' install only, any extra work/parts they will charge you extra or won't touch at all. I remember a few years back I had mid components put in my door but the magnet was too deep so they had to fabricate an extra pod/spacer for them, charged my $100 for that and only half-assed the job. I also had them put some Brown Bread (Insulation material) in the doors and they merely just slapped it on. I only found out when I pulled the panels off to replace a electric window motor. Wires weren't tucked in, they broke 3 clips inside the doors, and they just cut the stock wiring and left it at the bottom of the door. Worst install ever.

ZX-6RRRRRRRRRRR
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Not sure what the pretend to be ballers comment has to do with anything. :rofl:

A few years back when I was all crazy about car stereo and would go through a few setups per year, I had bad installs with stereos & alarms from the following places, RPM Racing, AutoDream (prior to the current owner), Visions and Audio Concept Mobiles. Believe it or not it was Soundsaround that corrected everything. Adam and Kenny who were the install guys at the Macleod and 32nd location were great. I know Kenny has moved on (last check 3 years ago he was at A&B Sound) and not sure where Adam is. What I'm trying to say is, if I were to get anything done to my cars, I will hunt either of those guys down. I know they do outstanding work and I will have my peace of mind regardless of what store I have to buy the goods from.

Thanks for the praise man... I'm Adam btw. I left Soundsaround back in 2001 to go back to school. I'm now working for General Dynamics Canada as a Hardware Engineering Technologist. Kenny and I are great friends, he is now working as a scaffolder (the money is practically tripled)... We took pride in the work we did and we loved the industry... The unfortunate thing about installing is that you enter the industry loving car audio and everything that surrounds it.. after working with it for years it becomes boring.. you lose interest in "new product" its no longer a hobbie but a job. I left for these reasons.. I still do work for friends here and there tho.

As for ppl having issues with installers.. it is a hit and miss situation. Great installers are hard to find.. we are out numbered atleast 1 to every 10. Ask if someone is MECP certified.. Kenny took the courses and I am still a First Class Certified MECP Installer. If you take the course and spend the money taking it you become a valuable asset to the industry. I can literally say that there is less than a dozen fully vertified MECP installers in Calgary at this time... I'm not saying you HAVE to be a certified installer to do a good job.. there are a few great guys out there that I've worked with that aren't.

The main problem is that there are too many "noob installers" cause most shops don't show enough respect to the "good" installers to keep them around.. The saying is "what you pay is what you get" but what retailers miss is that "if they don't pay your good installers.... customers don't get what they pay for"

There's only so much abuse a good installer will take.. before he smartens up and rolls his tool box outta the shop.

I don't mind doing side jobs once in a while depending on what it is.. email me at [email protected] and I'll let you know if I am up to doing it.

fresh
03-04-2006, 09:47 PM
ha ha ha, this thread is great. yea SS blows ive dealt with thier shitty service and the ass hole manager at the 32ave store in the NE.

arian_ma
03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Evro
ya thnx for the info, i was just thinkin a droppin by sound sorround, so what you guys recommend - visions?

You could go to BestBuy...
They did fuck up with me, but like everyone says, stores are good as long as you have no problems.
When they fucked up my car (Not the audio install, they didn't pull e-brake and my car rolled back and hit another car), they made sure to take care of it and did everything I wanted to. It did take them a while (3 weeks) but in the end I got everything I asked for.

:dunno:

oh and the audio install worked well and was very clean.

edit: shit me this was like a year old :banghead:

tulit
03-06-2006, 04:53 PM
The secret to shopping at places like this (and I include Visions here too), don't go in unless you know EXACTLY what you want to buy. Soundsaround in my experience will almost always give the lowest price in the city, but they will try to screw you anyway they can (hence why knowing what you're in for is essential). Go in with the exact item/model you want, get the price you want, walk out and get someone decent to do the install. Don't go to browse ;)

carter_prelude
03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by PorknBeans
that is why you get a deck from visions (never had an issue with them) or install it yourself

werd. Visions kicks ass, they hooked me up good for a very good price. Installed it very clean and when i un installed it and put it in my car...it took me like 5 min. to hook the old factory deck up to the old car. I like visions. Deff. buy from them again.

Im my 240sx, i got a CD deck adapter kit that goes in the dash...mines sunken in a bit, not much you can do about it tho i don't think. I could be wrong tho.

dinglenuts
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
i worked at soundsaround 6 years ago, and from my personal experience, the owners and management were nazi's. Sales staff had to unload trucks for free, unlike visions who pays shippers/receivers, and i can't count how many people got azz raped on their purchases, after working there for 1 year i would definately recommend NOT SHOPPING THERE FOR ANYTHING!! In fact, all beyonders should call their local branch and tell them they suck and we won't shop there. Anyways, yah, they have done a lot of crappy stuff to a lot of people, i remember a guy wasn't happy with his dvd player and the manager at crowfoot actually threw it at his car while he drove away. That whole company is shitheads.

and for bargaining knowledge...

car audio markup is approx 50%
hometheatre mark up is approx 30 - 40%
and video mark up is aprox 15-25%

this is pretty much at all shops visions, a&b etc.
Never pay full price.

Weapon_R
03-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by gchan

Just remembrer, if something ever goes wrong with that 13,000 worth of gear, you won't be able to return them. That is enough incentive to stay away from those pricks.

RawB8figure
03-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I just use sounds around to test out product and then buy it somewhere else, a company that cant stand behind there product isnt going to get my business. ie, 15 day exchange no refunds. WTF.

Never bought anything from there since 1999 and never will.

I wonder how they are still in business, everyone I know will never buy from them. I wonder how long they will last...

Mr.DTS
05-19-2006, 12:57 AM
I used to work at SS(cringe) as a home theater installer for about a year. The BS i've seen pulled off on customers and employees is staggering. Working there as an installer was a very negative experience.

Heres a rundown on what i've seen personally:
Salesman
ex 1:Purposly selling cables that the customer don't need at all($400 DVI cables, 100 extra ft of spkr wire).

ex 2:Promising the customer that his system will be "custom installed" until the installer gets to his house and finds out it is impossible to do what the salesman promissed(This happens about 1 out of 3 installs).

ex 3:The salesman will try to give a customer a refurb product without him knowing.(The customer is expecting a brand new product).This happens often.

Tip:Salesman make almost nothing on TVs,about 25%on speakers, and 40-50% on cables.DONT BUY CABLES AT SS they will rip you off, go to a high-end shop like k&W automation, ect..

If your thinking your getting a FREE INSTALL think again, the salesman will work the $100 or 200 or 500 cost of install into the deal by giving you less of a deal on spkrs and cables.

Here are some examples how SS treats their employees:
ex 1:SS will have a projected profit on the BIG4 sale. Last year was 4 million, if they meet this goal everyone in the company gets a $200 bonus, SS claimed they only made 3,995,000, so nobody got a bonus after working 12hrs sat and sun for the sale.Slimeballs!

ex 2:SS wanted their installers to wear jackets engraved in oversized ss logos on them(Free advertising).They made the installers to sign a waiver stating they must buy the jackets at full price to still be employed the next day.

I hope this gives you a clearer picture how SS as a company operates.

Ek9Max
05-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

Hmm, funny. I've actually gone to other places and tried to see if these people would go as low as Firoz would (for stuff I already had). Visions failed, and A&B sound Shawnessy failed. I did both for my sub and my amp seperately. So make your own conclusions. Shop around, but my recommendation sits with soundsaround. Plus, the guy has never sold me any piece of equipment that's junk. All quality stuff.

you have no idea dude.......

Maybe you're one of the lucky ones.

Ek9Max
05-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by ZX-6RRRRRRRRRRR

Thanks for the praise man... I'm Adam btw. I left Soundsaround back in 2001 to go back to school. I'm now working for General Dynamics Canada as a Hardware Engineering Technologist. Kenny and I are great friends, he is now working as a scaffolder (the money is practically tripled)... We took pride in the work we did and we loved the industry... The unfortunate thing about installing is that you enter the industry loving car audio and everything that surrounds it.. after working with it for years it becomes boring.. you lose interest in "new product" its no longer a hobbie but a job. I left for these reasons.. I still do work for friends here and there tho.

As for ppl having issues with installers.. it is a hit and miss situation. Great installers are hard to find.. we are out numbered atleast 1 to every 10. Ask if someone is MECP certified.. Kenny took the courses and I am still a First Class Certified MECP Installer. If you take the course and spend the money taking it you become a valuable asset to the industry. I can literally say that there is less than a dozen fully vertified MECP installers in Calgary at this time... I'm not saying you HAVE to be a certified installer to do a good job.. there are a few great guys out there that I've worked with that aren't.

The main problem is that there are too many "noob installers" cause most shops don't show enough respect to the "good" installers to keep them around.. The saying is "what you pay is what you get" but what retailers miss is that "if they don't pay your good installers.... customers don't get what they pay for"

There's only so much abuse a good installer will take.. before he smartens up and rolls his tool box outta the shop.

I don't mind doing side jobs once in a while depending on what it is.. email me at [email protected] and I'll let you know if I am up to doing it.

You're a hack! LOL

Get those subs I sold you installed yet?

n1zm0
05-29-2006, 06:50 AM

thats not the east indian guy with the blonde hair and the coolest Accord on earth is it?? :rofl: anyways that guy at the SS near the Ford Dealership, I remember when i was 16 (not the most informed person about audio stuff I'll admit) and I wanted a sub which I was going to wire myself, he kept telling me there was only one deck left of which i wanted, 1sub, and only 1 more wiring kit all in stock and it was gonna take another 2 weeks for them to restock.. Then upon calling the store I was told totally different if they were to wire it for me!... SS sux! :rolleyes:

dragonone
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
well my 2 exp. w/ SS was... decent, everything worked as advertised; same with my friend

but hearing these stories again will make me go to other stores for a better exp.

i'm just concluding myself that it's a hit and miss with that store
and ppl seem to complain about SS more than FS or BB lol

JJLuke
05-29-2006, 04:05 PM
if you intended to buy any sort of electronics, you are better off doing your own research on the product. Things change so rapidly in technology and these salespeople have so much product knowledge to beef up on, they either lie or simply don't know.

Ever get the feeling you know more than they do? Well that's because you do!

Info is readily available online. Salespeople are always looking for people who aren't knowledgeable and see it as an opportunity to pump up sales. In FS lingo they call it "juicing up a sale".

moral of the stories here is to keep in mind - in the absence of information, a buyer will always overpay

heavyD
05-29-2006, 04:24 PM

I used to think that also but they did a shit job installing a system & alarm on my delsol. I thought I would give them a try after a crappy soundsaround install on my Civic. They broke some console trim in two places and then tried glueing it together hoping I wouldn't notice. LOL. Their install was average at best & Alarm never worked properly either.

My last two installs have been the best and that's because I did it myself. Installing stereos is some of the simplest mods you can do to your car plus since it's your car you don't have to worry about the guy being hung over or rushed. Soldered & shrink wrapped connections instead of those shitty crimp connectors most shops use when they butcher your stock radion harness & actually taking the time to sand off the paint at grounding areas, etc. There's a reason many of the installers at Visions & Sounsaround are highschool dropouts. LOL.

JJLuke
05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
... and to add to what heavyD just said, your stuff is your stuff. If you do a hundred installs a month, the next one is no different and will not get any more special attention.

Sure doing it yourself takes longer, but you gain a lot of experience and if anything breaks, chances are it will still be less than having it installed at a shop. Plus you care for your car, so you'll handle it and generally be more cautious.