PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio Legal in Canada now?

cidley69
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Anyone else notice a huge increase in advertising for sat radio in newspapers lately?

Even mainstream stores are now selling them, not just your little audio botique shops.

Most of you probably heard about the CRTC ok'ing them a while ago. Does that mean they are officially legit as of now, or are they still technically 'grey market'?

Anyone that knows the current scoop, could you fill me in?

I bought one a couple months ago, and it sure is cool. I no longer run out of music in my car. I don't think I have used my CD player since I got it.

Anyone got any thought on this?

:dunno:

Kona9
07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
my truck comes with XM as an aoption in the US. I want it now. I hope I can find more info. I will check with the dealer.

dooman24
07-23-2005, 06:49 PM
sat radio
is that the sign on the deck that sais ((XMS)) or something
how much are they?
and monthly rate?

cidley69
07-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I bought mine from some old couple in Calgary that one it as a prize and didn't know what to do with it. They sold it to me for $150, good deal.

Soundsurround is advertising an xm unit for $180 in edmonton. Lots of places are selling them for $300.

if your deck is compatable i think you just subscribe. i paid just under 2 bills for a years subscription of the US content.

There are tons of commercial free music stations.

My fav channel right now is MAXIM magazine radio. its great.

seer_claw
07-23-2005, 09:36 PM
The CRTC approved the sale of them in Canada about a month ago. A couple of stores up here in Ft Mc are now advertising for it. I would say that its legal in Canada now. :thumbsup:

Thaco
07-24-2005, 12:43 AM
its $12 a month, and all major electronic=s stores in canada will have them before xmas.

djayz
07-24-2005, 01:07 AM
yah theyve been legal for a little bit more than a month now and advertising is out of the roof cuz its a new thing for car audio which rarely happens

cidley69
07-24-2005, 09:51 AM
So are the canadian content channels out yet?

I wonder how the canadian package will compare to the us programming everyone is getting so far.

Shoebox//Racer
07-24-2005, 10:02 AM
anyone have an idea if BBC radio 1 is availabe some how over here? Do any satellite radio companies broadcast it? or do they all have their own stations?

Shoebox//Racer
07-24-2005, 10:09 AM
oh em gee.

I was just curious so i threw it into google at .... wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/chartnews/050621_sirius.shtml

fawking awesome.

modded46
07-24-2005, 11:25 AM
XM & Sirrus that they offer in Canada (coming soon) will have to follow the same guidelines that all other broadcasting has to by the CRTC. All radio stations must ensure that 35% of their popular musical selections are Canadian each week.

Translation = shit

Get the American versions of XM & Sirrus or you just going to get a better sounding Vibe with the same crap played over and over again.

I have XM in both my vehicles and I love it..

cidley69
07-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Sirius (US) is advertising that BBC 1 is on the way, but isn't here yet.

It would be cool if they offered a bundle where you could get the US and Canadian sat subscriptions for less than the cost of buying both separately.

I am paying $13 a month for the Sirius signal, how much is the xm?

dsmturbo
07-24-2005, 12:08 PM
modded46 is correct. If you subscribe here in canada, when available, you will get alot of CDN content...yuck

Grab yourself a fake addy in USA and subscribe thru there. And I do believe it is $12/mn USD

SWX
07-25-2005, 02:02 AM
As of right now Sat radio is NOT legal in Canada but the date is Nov 1st. for the lanch in canada. The service in canada will be the same channels but with canadaian content added in for weather, traffic and that sort of thing, all the music will stay the same. So for those of you buying sat rad now you are going to pay too much and be screwed later when it is lanched in canada becuase your subcribtion will have to stay US and it will be cheaper to have the Canadian one. It is likely the US will want the canadian one.

cidley69
07-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Canadian content weathern and traffic sounds great. You seem pretty optimistic that all the music will stay the same, I doubt it. In order to get the Canadian content percentage on the airwaves they will have to add many more canadian channels. If there are not enough Canadian channels, they would have to remove US ones to get the proper ratio.

By Nov I will have already been enjoying sat radio for half a year. You could always get a unit with US progamming, thn just go month to month for paying. All I saved by buying a year at once was one month free, whoopee.

Jonathan@TCS
07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Right now we sell XM and Sirius (US versions) either one sells for $329 including the car kit. Then you can get the add on kit for your home if you want, and use it in both places. We will be getting the Canadian ones sometime in the fall. From what I understand from my suppliers, the music content will be very similar to the US. The subscription fees are 9.95, and 12.95, or you can pay for a year, or even a lifetime subscribtion.

SWX
07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
Canadian content weathern and traffic sounds great. You seem pretty optimistic that all the music will stay the same, I doubt it. In order to get the Canadian content percentage on the airwaves they will have to add many more canadian channels. If there are not enough Canadian channels, they would have to remove US ones to get the proper ratio.

By Nov I will have already been enjoying sat radio for half a year. You could always get a unit with US progamming, thn just go month to month for paying. All I saved by buying a year at once was one month free, whoopee.

The company i work for deals w/ Dephi and XM Canada so I get info as it's avaliable and right for the horses mouth. As for saveing money the delphi units will be almost $200 cheaper than they are now, atleat the Mify piece and the others will be cheaper as well Canadian pricing is not finished yet. But the service will be cheaper here as well, no exchange. As for the Canadian content, it's only 10 channels, 25% of which will be French.

cidley69
07-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Cool. Thanks for the industry insight! I think it will be great to have Canadian content. I wonder if stuff like Rutherford and CBC will be carried?

Lo)2enz0
07-25-2005, 12:34 PM
they have it at visions.

GoChris
07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
I've had sirius for a few weeks now, its quite nice, ordering hardware from the US was alot cheaper I think also, but I had to send a unit back for warranty and it was a pain.

seer_claw
07-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
Cool. Thanks for the industry insight! I think it will be great to have Canadian content. I wonder if stuff like Rutherford and CBC will be carried?

I believe that CBC is actually one of the providers of satellite radio in Canada. If thats the case the for sure CBC will be on it. :thumbsup:

SWX
07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
As of right now there will be 3 sat providers in Canada that i know of Sirius, XM and the CHUM guy is trying to get one going. CBC will be olny a channel, not a provider to my knowlage. As for buying from the US will probly not be much cheaper if at all once it's officialy here.

AllGoNoShow
07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Car Salon has alot of information on it aswell if you guys are intersted.

I may just be purchasing a US version of Sirius over XM, no Canadian bs and it doesn't cost too much. I mean its liek $600 for a lifetime of Sirius, or its liek $500 for a hgih end deck that can play the same quality if its mp3's or something. I'm going with the sat radio.

Jonathan@TCS
07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Car Salon has alot of information on it aswell if you guys are intersted.

I may just be purchasing a US version of Sirius over XM, no Canadian bs and it doesn't cost too much. I mean its liek $600 for a lifetime of Sirius, or its liek $500 for a hgih end deck that can play the same quality if its mp3's or something. I'm going with the sat radio.

Just to clarify, We have the Panasonic Sirius boxes that will work with any Panasonic Siruis ready deck. We also have the decks. A basic deck with det face, dual preouts, and the Satelite box is on sale for $399.99. We also have a higher end deck, with triple preouts, and MP3/WMA it is on Sale for $499.99. The benefit to having Satelite radio through your deck, is that you do get the CD Quality sound(which is better quality than MP3), and it doesn't take up extra space on your dash.

Supa Dexta
08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
dun dun dun...

bingo bango (http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=14e26b14-4408-4817-8044-55199a5fab1b)

googe
08-03-2005, 02:05 AM
meh, its legal in canada:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

;)

sputnik
08-03-2005, 07:01 AM
XM Canada

http://xmradio.ca/

RC-Cola
08-15-2005, 09:10 PM
So to all the peps who have this now, how is the coverage? IF you go under a tunnel or in a parking lot do you lose signal?

Can you still get a signal outside the city i.e. in the mountains heading to Vancouver?

Is it weather depended like some satellite tv signals?

I'm still torn between the XM vs. Sirrus, but I want to get a system before the Canadian version comes out. God only knows the goverment will figure out that they have to tax it or we'll have to listen to Paul Martin give us a daily update or something.

SWX
08-17-2005, 08:31 AM
^^^^ i would wait it will be way cheaper for the Canadian one and the channels are not going to be very different.