PDA

View Full Version : Slap on turbo kits? well sort of..

CryoCarnage
07-23-2005, 11:50 PM
i met a guy who has a RX7 Twin Turbo (FD not sure on year). I looked in his engine bay and the set up was nice with bigger fuel lines, injectors etc. But what asonished me was that he said he took the twin turbos out of a 300zx TT because he was low on cash and those were the only non shaft play ones he could find for cheap. I was completely unaware of this. It this a normal thing? is it true you can just slap turbos on from other cars onto yours? Its still weird. Either then that i call bs. Oh and spottings for today in mississauga: about 6 older vettes, 1 dune buggy :D 1 small tiny car (not sure what it was), 1 Ferrari and 1 lamborghini. what a day it was today driving to Micro play. :bigpimp:

theken
07-24-2005, 03:17 AM
you can put any turbo onto any car, you just need to make flanges for it and make sure the motor will be able to spool them, why would he switch from rx-7 turbos to a smaller 300zx set?

iceburns288
07-24-2005, 05:28 AM
If you can get the right piping (or make it) then you can use any turbo you want I'm sure:dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
07-24-2005, 09:32 AM
The RX-7 has a twin sequential setup. The 300ZX has a twin turbo system, but it's once turbo per bank, so really it’s a "dual single turbo" setup.

You are not going to retain the stock sequential function using 300ZX turbos for sure. I can't imagine any company making a exhaust manifold to mount 1 300ZX turbo per rotor on an RX-7, so it is a very custom deal. Also the IC piping has to be different as well as the stock IC is setup for single entry/exit. Not to mention running new oil feed and drain lines....or even coolant if the turbo is water cooled.

BUT if he going through all that trouble removing the stock twins and getting 1 300ZX turbo per rotor....he could have just gone single turbo and made is car faster and more simplistic under the hood, not to mention that the 300ZX turbo characteristics might make it a bad match for the free flowing rotary engine which can be determined by looking at the turbo's compressor maps.

At the end, yeah you can use any turbo you want, but you want to use one that is suited to the flow characteristics of your engine to make sure the turbo is being used efficiently. After thta all the matter of mouting it on the exhaust manifold to mate with the engine and running the IC pipes. Need to look at fueling as well since you are adding more air, need more fuel which entails injectors, pump, FPR usually. Of course you want to run a aftermarket EMS to control the fueling and timing of the engine as the turbo would be different from stock.

Probably leaving some details out but you get the picture.

Originally posted by CryoCarnage
i met a guy who has a RX7 Twin Turbo (FD not sure on year). I looked in his engine bay and the set up was nice with bigger fuel lines, injectors etc. But what asonished me was that he said he took the twin turbos out of a 300zx TT because he was low on cash and those were the only non shaft play ones he could find for cheap. I was completely unaware of this. It this a normal thing? is it true you can just slap turbos on from other cars onto yours? Its still weird. Either then that i call bs. Oh and spottings for today in mississauga: about 6 older vettes, 1 dune buggy :D 1 small tiny car (not sure what it was), 1 Ferrari and 1 lamborghini. what a day it was today driving to Micro play. :bigpimp: