PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water

Tyler883
07-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Tonight I googled "water calories" and found 2 sights.

The first site talked about water increasing your metabolism by 3%.

The other site explained in great detail, the difference between a Calorie, and a calorie. Apearantly, if you drink ice water, it takes about 17 Calories( 17000 calories) to bring a 16 oz glass of ice water to body temperature........so a typical 8 glasses of ice water per day would be 70 Calories per day.....not enough to replace exercise or a good diet, but these 70 calories per day could definitely add up.

Besides, there are other great reasons why we should be drinking lots of water.

hockeybronx
07-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Agreed, the advantages of hydration are endless, speeds up metabolism, improves skin condition, more energy gets to your muscles, you eat less when you are hydrated.

It goes on and on and on, but it's amazing how many people don't even have one glass of water a day:nut:

kaput
07-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Wildcat
07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
:werd: i usually shoot for 6-8 litres a day, not including water from foods. what about you guys?

hockeybronx
07-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
:werd: i usually shoot for 6-8 litres a day, not including water from foods. what about you guys?

I try for 5 litres a day, sometimes more when I'm playing hockey or running.

lastprodigy
07-24-2005, 01:20 PM
from someone who neever drank any i think im doing good at about 3 litres a day!

Davetronz
07-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I shoot for around 3-4 litres a day...
I don't "work out" other than shooting hoops, rollerblading and jogging, none of that weight lifting stuff...
I need to slam atleast that much because I have had a kidney stone in the past and I would really like to avoid having another one..

nhlfan
07-24-2005, 07:17 PM
i drink one litre of bottled water, another of tap, then another of milk (dunno if that counts or not), and another of juice.

Tyler883
07-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I have an empty dasani bottle at work ( 600ml) and a water cooler to fill it up again.

I was thinking of trying one bottle for every hour of work, but I guess that is only 4-5 liters

if I switch to a 1L bottle , that would be better, right?

BTW, when I was young I worked at a fence post mill, I used to drink about 2-3 gallons of water without any extra pissing.

hockeybronx
07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
I have an empty dasani bottle at work ( 600ml) and a water cooler to fill it up again.

I was thinking of trying one bottle for every hour of work, but I guess that is only 4-5 liters

if I switch to a 1L bottle , that would be better, right?

BTW, when I was young I worked at a fence post mill, I used to drink about 2-3 gallons of water without any extra pissing.

It's kind of fun doing having a "water schedule". In my first year of college I was convinced I could try to 10 litres a day. Basically using 500ml Nestle bottles I would drink one at 7:30am on the way to school, one during each of my morning classes, one at lunch, one in each of my afternoon classes, and one on my way home. This worked out to be about 4 litres just during my school day.

It had it's drawbacks though, I was paying more attention to my water bottles than my prof, and I'd have to leave every class to go take a piss.

Anywho yeah now I just use a 1 litre Nalgene bottle. They are great because you can freeze them to.

crazydriver
07-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

It had it's drawbacks though, I was paying more attention to my water bottles than my prof, and I'd have to leave every class to go take a piss.

LOL, i usually drink a cup or two in the mornings, then a bottle for lunch, then go crazy after i get home, that way i don't have to take a piss or 2 every class. In total, i think i'm drinking about 3L or so a day

Kirbs17
07-25-2005, 12:20 AM
At my current summer job, its about 10 litres a day ( my large cooler is 10 litres and it lasts through the day ) come winter Im at MAYBE 2 :cry:

V6-BoI
07-25-2005, 12:34 AM
So is there a recommended daily intake of water? Cuz 4-6 litres seems quite a bit to me. And isn't drinking too much water bad for you?

lastprodigy
07-25-2005, 12:54 AM
^^^ highly doubt that, but the recomended is 8 glasses which is like 2L but thats just an average ppl should try to shoot for i guess

cidley69
07-25-2005, 06:50 AM
I have read that too much water is actually a bad thing. It flushes nutrients out of the body faster than it should.

Apparently there is an actual water target that can be reached. Instead of pounding water it may be better to have a diet high in water rich foods, like melons and fresh fruits and veggies.

Has anyone else heard of drinking too much water?

It seems from what I am reading here that more is always best?

Davetronz
07-25-2005, 09:02 AM
From what I know drinking too much water is bad because it decreases the natural mineral/salt levels in the body...

Not sure how much is considered "too much" though.

Chester
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a 591ml bottle here at work that I usually fill 6-7 times a day. I piss like crazy haha. I've already had two bottles of water.

JAYMEZ
07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I must drink about 5-6 L a day , but it makes me go piss about 5-6 a day LOL...

Whenever i wake up , i drink water , go for a run , then come home at eat breakfast. :thumbsup:

Davetronz
07-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Chester
I have a 591ml bottle here at work that I usually fill 6-7 times a day. I piss like crazy haha. I've already had two bottles of water.
Werd...
I am the same way...
I usually have about 3-4 of these bottles as I fill up from the cooler at home as the water at work tastes like funk.

hockeybronx
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
So is there a recommended daily intake of water? Cuz 4-6 litres seems quite a bit to me. And isn't drinking too much water bad for you?

Originally posted by cidley69
I have read that too much water is actually a bad thing. It flushes nutrients out of the body faster than it should.

Apparently there is an actual water target that can be reached. Instead of pounding water it may be better to have a diet high in water rich foods, like melons and fresh fruits and veggies.

Has anyone else heard of drinking too much water?

It seems from what I am reading here that more is always best?

Actually you guys are right. There was a story out of the States where a woman died from trying to pound back water for weight loss because the water flushed out all the electrolytes from her body. She wasn't eating properly though either.

I'd say the recommended intake is about 2-3 litres a day, but that is for the average Canadian. If you are active you need to up that intake.

The key is spreading the intake throughout the day. At times I've drank 5 litres within and hour, just sitting there pounding it back. If you drink it in moderation throughout the day then it's easier for the large intestine to absorb it.

01RedDX
07-25-2005, 12:05 PM

snowboard
07-25-2005, 12:07 PM
thats all i do here at work all day, i pretend to be doin my drawings and just relax and drink water haha

Chester
07-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I also find that drinking tons of water helps with the heat alot. Like on those days when its 25+, I'll go outside for a break and the other guys I'm with will be dieing and I feel perfectly fine.

V6-BoI
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I'd say the recommended intake is about 2-3 litres a day, but that is for the average Canadian. If you are active you need to up that intake.

Yeah I was thinking about 2-3 litre range would be good for me, maybe max at about 4 litres. I was pretty surprised when people here said they drink like 6-8 litres if water a day. Sometimes that takes me like a whole week to drink, haha.

hockeybronx
07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Chester
I also find that drinking tons of water helps with the heat alot. Like on those days when its 25+, I'll go outside for a break and the other guys I'm with will be dieing and I feel perfectly fine.

That's no coincidence at all either. Having cool water in your body will lower your bodys core temperature, and also increase the amount of time it takes for your temperature to increase as well.

Originally posted by V6-BoI

Yeah I was thinking about 2-3 litre range would be good for me, maybe max at about 4 litres. I was pretty surprised when people here said they drink like 6-8 litres if water a day. Sometimes that takes me like a whole week to drink, haha.

Wildcat drinks 6-8 litres of water a day, but he also works out 9 times a week (at least during the school year).

I drink 5 litres and that feels about right. Usually one in the morning, one during the day, one before I'm about to workout, one during my workout, and one after my workout.

Wildcat
07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
^im down to 4 times a week during the summer trying to bulk up, ill probly stick with that up until second semester in january. the 9 time a week workout is usually more like 8-10 litres a day.

btw, if you guys are pissing all the time take that as a hint that your drinking too much water. :rofl: caffeine (coffee), ephedra, any pain killers, herbal shit, will all make you piss more, dehydrating you. but im sure most of you knew that already, so steer clear of that stuff on the hot days or if your trying to bulk up a little.

toyboy88
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
i usually try and have a 591 bottle of water every hour during school usually...totalling just under 5 litres...and then i try for another litre at home each day :)

Tyler883
07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
It's got to be extremely hard to drink too much water, yes?

Heck, there aren't that many that die from drinking too much beer......at least not directly :rofl:

pinoyhero
07-28-2005, 06:34 PM
The more the better is what they say but anything in excess is no good. If you are trying to put away 10 litres of water a day at an average body weight its too much. I would say about a litre per 50lbs. body weight is a good target.

Tai-Lun
08-01-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.h2o6water.com/

this is an up an coming company ill be workin with, we will be launchin in next 60-90days. anyone interested just pm me:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Tai-Lun

this is an up an coming company ill be workin with, we will be launchin in next 60-90days. anyone interested just pm me:thumbsup:

Hmm... would be interesting to look into. We'll have to say if it actually makes sense for fitness and not just for science.

Wildcat
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Tai-Lun

hah, doesnt work buddy. dont buy any stocks :rofl:

Tyler883
08-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Found this on another website, does this seem resonable?

"Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you’re overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely."

hockeybronx
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
Found this on another website, does this seem resonable?

"Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you’re overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely."

Seems reasonable:D