PDA

View Full Version : Hustle and Flow

AznDragon2004
07-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Anyone here know why Hustle and Flow isn't playing in Calgary???

I find that kinda weird since this movie could make some money.

jumperman8
07-24-2005, 06:22 PM
not out yet

rahim
07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
actually it is, just limited release, if it does well we will probably get it eventually

AznDragon2004
07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by jumperman8
not out yet

It came out on Friday but not in calgary

illeagle
07-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by AznDragon2004

It came out on Friday but not in calgary

they had the posters up at the chinook theater:dunno:

AznDragon2004
07-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

they had the posters up at the chinook theater:dunno:

Ya i saw that but they don't show it. That is messed up.

01RedDX
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM

samo147
02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
isnt it out on video already?

s dime
02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by samo147

Yes, this is just a really old thread :closed:

toyboy88
02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by samo147

:rolleyes: :rofl:

Jimmy99
02-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Is it any good?? :dunno:

sputnik
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Its not a bad movie. There are some really good scenes and lines. Like most movies the plot is a bit contrived but its pretty entertaining nonetheless. Good cameos from Ludacris and Isaac Hayes too.

Its a shame that John Singleton hasnt done anything as good as Boyz In The Hood (Four Brothers was TERRIBLE).

Great quote from the movie...

There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin'. Now, people who talk the talk, when it comes time for them to walk the walk, you know what they do? They talk people like me into walkin' for them.

Alterac
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Hustle and Flow was a poor movie. Their were some good spots, but most of it just dragged. It did do a good job of depicting what it meant too, but the film failed to make me want to keep watching it.

I completly disagree about four brothers, I rather enjoyed it.

Oz-
02-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Haven't seen this movie yet, but one thing I have learned about the "Urban" type movies in Calgary. If you don't catch them the opening weekend then you have to wait till video.

b_t
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Hustle and Flow was a poor movie. Their were some good spots, but most of it just dragged. It did do a good job of depicting what it meant too, but the film failed to make me want to keep watching it.

I completly disagree about four brothers, I rather enjoyed it.

if you enjoyed four brothers but didn't like Hustle and Flow you obviously just aren't into smart movies at all. hustle and flow was a really good flick.

Alterac
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Hmm, personal attack instead of justifing your claims.. You must watch alot of "Smart" movies.

01RedDX
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM

aram1000
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Hustle and Flow I thought was really good, good soundtrack and a good story. I would recommend this movie to any avid movie fan

Alterac
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
No, I got it.

Its just my opinion that its poor.

Justifying movies from their nominations can bring up a lenghty list of terrible movies.

Alterac
02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
This pretty much sums it up from my perspective.

This is from IMDB

Howard's performance is brilliant... Too bad the rest of the film isn't up for the same challenge..., 28 May 2005
6/10

Hustle & Flow:

DJay (Terrence Dashon Howard, "The Best Man") is a Memphis pimp looking for a better life for himself when he recognizes his dire situation. Financed by his stable of hookers (including Taryn Manning, Paula Jai Parker, and Taraji Henson), DJay reignites an early love for music, and flirts with a career in "crunk" rap music. Calling on an old friend (Anthony Anderson) for help, DJay starts to lay down some tracks, and soon the singular power of his voice and persona become a viable, if elusive, ticket out of his bleak surroundings.

One cannot write about "Hustle & Flow" without centering praise on the lead performance from Terrence Howard. As DJay, the conflicted, oily pimp looking to break free from the game and satisfy his long held dreams, Howard delivers a career-best performance. On paper, the character arc for DJay doesn't veer far from the familiar, including instances of DJay seducing his stable of hookers and vicious displays of his red-hot temper. What Howard accomplishes with his acting is making DJay a human being – albeit an icy one, but there's a fire behind his glare that screams out more character motivation than anything in the speech-heavy screenplay could. Howard is ferocious, funny, and most significantly, capable of expressing DJay's inner thought process. He brings believability to the way the character does business, most importantly the "flow" of the title. Building off his grand work in "Crash," Howard has finally come into his own, with "Hustle" capturing his Oscar-worthy concentration brilliantly.

Too bad the rest of the film isn't up for the same challenge. Patterned off pimp cinema of the 1970s (complete with static yellow opening titles), along with a little taste of the struggling-for-rap-stardom genre found in "8 Mile," "Hustle" is a familiar cocktail that assumes freshness with its pioneering take on the "crunk" genre of hip-hop. Written and directed by Craig Brewer, "Hustle" is a very entertaining picture for people who like their protagonists morally questionable and their dialog as thick and insufferable as the Memphis summer Brewster impeccably recreates. The picture is a memorable creation if only for its setting and texture, in which Howard helps Brewer immensely by selling his surroundings with laid-back grace. I'm also deeply impressed by the performance the filmmaker dragged out of Anthony Anderson. In a rare non-screaming role, Anderson is likable and dramatic in ways he's never registered on film before. Brewer deserves a standing ovation for that little trick alone.

While "Hustle" trucks along proficiently enough, even creating some future crunk hits through DJay's flow along the way (with song titles like "Whoop That Trick"), the film's goodwill is obliterated in the final 30 minutes. If the film wasn't teetering enough on the edge of formula for the first two acts, it sinks like a stone into absurdity when tempers flare and guns are drawn for the finale. Brewer had a curious way of mounting a big audience-pleasing urban film experience with "Hustle," but his instincts turn to dust with this closer, which props up DJay as some type of hero when the film wisely never bothered to take sides before. Brewer also sees fit to hand "Hustle" a happy ending, which is preposterous, and taints the entire experience. Even DJay wouldn't swallow that much good fortune coming to him. ---- 6/10

HuMz
02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
It was a good movie....hated the ending though, they could have made a whole another movie on all the shit that wasn't resolved

01RedDX
02-28-2006, 03:53 PM

nusneak
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
about crunk? :dunno: lol

if you ask me that movie fucking sucked and it was not worth the 2 hours I spend downloading it, quit making shitty movies with terrible storylines

Alterac
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, I know it was Nominated for and won 2 Oscars.

Its just like the two thumbs up, two thumbs down thing.

Its other opinions, not mine.

I do not conform to others opinions on things like that.

Im sure you love a ton of movies I hate and vice-versa, but thats everyones personal preference.

I also have no problems with the main actor, and the music composition, both of which won awards. Its just the movie itself.

01RedDX
02-28-2006, 04:23 PM

Xtrema
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

2006 Oscar nominations for Hustle & Flow:

Best Leading Actor

Best Original Song (Music)

Don't say it was a "poor movie" when you obviously didn't get it.

It didn't get best picture or screen play, so it could still be a poor movie.

Even if it did get best picture nom, it still doesn't guarantee to be a good movie (like Crash which I thought it's ok but got a best picture nom anyway).

turbo'dGSR
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Stomp that trick, GIT 'EM!

canadian_hustla
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I thought it was a good movie, the g/f sure as hell didn't like it tho.

i liked how they showed the progression from just lyrics to actual music

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: /:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sputnik
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
Stomp that trick, GIT 'EM!

Wasnt it... "whoop that trick"?

jaysas_63
03-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It didn't get best picture or screen play, so it could still be a poor movie.

Even if it did get best picture nom, it still doesn't guarantee to be a good movie (like Crash which I thought it's ok but got a best picture nom anyway).

crash was a beautiful movie.....best one i've seen for a while

turbo'dGSR
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Wasnt it... "whoop that trick"?

Hmm I think you may be right, either way....aha.

Xtrema
03-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
crash was a beautiful movie.....best one i've seen for a while

I didn't like crash because it's too full of itself. Each character also have polar personalities which doesn't feel real. While I agree with the message, screenplay sucked with total unbelievable characters.