PDA

View Full Version : Question for the cops: radar detectors

googe
07-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Just wondering how any of the cops on the forum view radar detectors. When you pull someone over, and see a radar detector, what do you think, and how does it change your attitude?

I heard for some cops it could be the difference between a ticket and a warning. Just curious how most LEOs view people that use them.

ryder_23
07-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Well not a cop (yet atleast :D) anyways, I was pulled over before with my v1, it was sitting up by the rear view. He saw it, commented on how he hasnt seen one like this before. Had a little talk about it, then just told me to slow down. I was radard/laser'd, just saw me driving faster then i should have been. Also had my police scanner blaring, which he also said a few things about. This was back when i was 17 or something, cant really remember. I think it all depends on the cop, your attitude and such.

I read on a police forum (think its realpolice.com) or something like that, forget havnt been there in a while. But this topic has come up alot of times, and most of the highway patrols from the US say, if they catch someone using it, its pretty much an auto ticket. I'll get that link for you googe.

edit:

here you go googe, just sign up, and search for it, i know its been discussed.

http://www.realpolice.net/

ryder_23
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Bored, this should help

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=33144

Kobe
07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Bored, this should help

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=33144

well im glad i dont have one :thumbsup:

2.4l
07-25-2005, 03:53 AM
fuck those cops are homos:thumbsdow

Ben
07-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 2.4l

Elaborate. I thought the points they made were 100% accurate and I agreed fully with them.

What IS the purpose of a detector, and would you give someone a break when they use a device to cheat you out of something in the first place?

LOL, you kids on this forum are hilarious

benyl
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM

hahahahha.

When some dude driving way to fast and out of control crashes into someone you love, I will bet that you will be on of the first people to say, "Why aren't the cops doing their job? Why aren't they stopping these speeders?"

I guess ignorance is bliss.

Zero102
07-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I didn't know there were radar detector detectors?...
I thought that detectors just watched for signals, they didn't emit any?

ryder_23
07-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Says the guy with a pink dsm in his sig.

Cant believe people are so bitter about getting in trouble when they break the law. I wont even get into it.

Originally posted by Zero102
I didn't know there were radar detector detectors?...
I thought that detectors just watched for signals, they didn't emit any?

Heres from v1 website.

The real question is, can V1 be found by an instrument called a "radar-detector detector?"

Good radar detectors, like good AM/FM radios, are super-heterodyne receivers, and they all share a common trait. They receive, but they also transmit a signal; it's called "local oscillator emissions." This transmitted signal can be found by another radio if it's tuned to the right frequency. A radar-detector detector is merely a radio tuned to the right frequency range for most detectors.

Radar detectors with vg2, essentially shut off when it senses this. Nice thing about v1, its magnesium case or whatever it is, prevents it from emiting these signals to be picked up.

A_3
07-26-2005, 09:12 AM
^ Take it from the guy who goes Mach 10 around a turn on Old Banff Coach Road (yes, the road where everyone dies) in his Prelude (proper suspension of course, don't try this in your stock civic kiddies) and somehow talks himself out of the ticket...

Officer: Speed limit is 40 around the turn, you were doing 120
Jaret: Sorry Officer, err my friend needs to get to the hospital
Officer: Right...
Alex: BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA OWNED!

*5 minutes later*...

Officer: I know these cars handle really well, just take her easy next time
Jaret: Thank you officer
Alex: *Look of shock* WTF

RickDaTuner
07-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by A_3
^ Take it from the guy who goes Mach 10 around a turn on Old Banff Coach Road (yes, the road where everyone dies) in his Prelude (proper suspension of course, don't try this in your stock civic kiddies) and somehow talks himself out of the ticket...

*5 minutes later*...

:hijack:

there is really only one section of the !a that is worth mention, and its between Morley and Exshaw, a good 30kms of decent twists and risers, other than that that road is pretty tame. I've been down more technical roads in my days.. but i have to admit a Stock STi will make nice of that road pretty dayum good

A_3
07-26-2005, 10:49 AM
:hijack: hahaha so bad...

I've never been down that part of the road, been meaning to make a trip of it one of these days, maybe when I get my suspension in. I personally love the section between Where Old Banff turns into Sbank Road and Highway 1. Unfortunately so do the police thanks to the high amount of major accidents there. It's a sketchy road to drive if you don't know it well.

403Gemini
07-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by A_3

*5 minutes later*...

yea but jaret has a fucking horseshoe up his ass ;)