PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Vancouver- Fastest way? Tips?

Pages : [1] 2

yohan4ws
07-25-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm going to drive to Vancouver tonight. Last time I took this drive I took the coq. highway and basically followed mapquest directions and headed right into Seattle. Took me 13hours to get there including ga&lunch stops.

Is there a quicker way at all to get into the City from here (Calgary) ? I'd like to hear it.

Also, any cop hotspots ?

D-Man
07-25-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm driving to Vancouver on friday morning, looking for fastest way too...

Ben
07-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Calgary
Banff
Field
Golden
Revelstoke
Salmon Arm
Kamloops
Merritt
Hope
Vancouver

My average time is 10h with a fastest of 7 and slowest of 12. This includes stopping for gas, sit down restaurant food, and bathroom.

THis is the fastest way IMO.

HRD2PLZ
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Calgary
Banff
Field
Golden
Revelstoke
Salmon Arm
Kamloops
Merritt
Hope
Vancouver

My average time is 10h with a fastest of 7 and slowest of 12. This includes stopping for gas, sit down restaurant food, and bathroom.

Thats the way I go when I drive out there too. My average is probably in the 10hr range also.

Crasian
07-25-2005, 10:57 AM
^^^ Definately the fastest way to go. Me and my friends just drove up there about 2 weeks ago and that the way we took. It took us a little over 8 hours with 3 or stops. We left at 1:30am. If you can, thats probably the best time to leave NO traffic, probably no cops and its really nice when the sun is rising and ur driving though the mountains!:thumbsup:

ryder_23
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
I'm going to drive to Vancouver tonight. Last time I took this drive I took the coq. highway and basically followed mapquest directions and headed right into Seattle. Took me 13hours to get there including ga&lunch stops.

Is there a quicker way at all to get into the City from here (Calgary) ? I'd like to hear it.

Also, any cop hotspots ?

Wait till 5am ish, and i'll roll with u to sicamous.

BokCh0y
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Calgary
Banff
Field
Golden
Revelstoke
Salmon Arm
Kamloops
Merritt
Hope
Vancouver

:werd:

This too is also the route i travel. 7 hrs is insanly fast. Fastest i've done it with gas stops is 8hrs. 15min.

Cop hot spots: Calgary to BC Border especially in towards lake louise and a a little past it.

Best time IMO to leave is like between 12am and 4am. Less cops and traffic. Only thing about that time is the darkness and the damn truckers.

rage2
07-25-2005, 11:21 AM
7 insanely fast? I did it in 6 hrs flat, that included a lunch stop and multiple gas stops. I know someone that did it in 5 without stopping for lunch, just nascar style gas stops lol.

AcuraTl
07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
7 insanely fast? I did it in 6 hrs flat, that included a lunch stop and multiple gas stops. I know someone that did it in 5 without stopping for lunch, just nascar style gas stops lol.

must have been driving at autobahn type speeds...

BokCh0y
07-25-2005, 11:55 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

6 hrs flat including lunch ad gas stops!!!!!!!!! now that is crazy. here i was thinking 8 hours was impressive. what was the average speed you were doing?

HRD2PLZ
07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Best time IMO to leave is like between 12am and 4am. Less cops and traffic. Only thing about that time is the darkness and the damn truckers.

Thats a good idea, I had never thought of that before. I always ended up leaving at 5 or 6 am. I might have to try leave at 12am when I head out there in August :thumbsup:

ryder_23
07-25-2005, 12:02 PM

Yeah, my friend did it with his dad in 6 05. same style of stops as you described, and a friendly encounter with an RCMP officer :rofl:

dufferson
07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
tons of speed traps near fernie

Mr. Burns
07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Calgary
Banff
Field
Golden
Revelstoke
Salmon Arm
Kamloops
Merritt
Hope
Vancouver

:werd: to that. That is the way I always go. usually takes anywhere between 8 and 10 hours for me depending on stops, and whatever heat shields I may be blessed with. Last time I followed a red Trans-Am the whole way doing ~180ish.

benyl
07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dufferson
tons of speed traps near fernie

Fernie is no where near being on the way using the fastest route. Thanks for coming out.

Canmore can be done in 35 minutes and Golden in less than 2 hours. Provided there is no traffic. 6 hrs isn't unreasonable.

BokCh0y
07-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

Thats a good idea, I had never thought of that before. I always ended up leaving at 5 or 6 am. I might have to try leave at 12am when I head out there in August :thumbsup:

yeah dude that is the best time to leave. get a good sleep the night before and a killer power nap or alternate with someone and your set. usually when i go, leaving at 12am or so i hit kamloops at between 530-630 depending on how fast i am travelling. I stop at the shell, fuel up, hit the 24hrs mcdicks on the way out and eat and drive. get into van at between 830-930 BC time. So usually about 9-10 hours but with that much less traffic you really could take your time and not worry bout trying to pass some slow ass you passed before but caught up when you stopped for gas.

see you there in august :D

dufferson
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Fernie is no where near being on the way using the fastest route. Thanks for coming out.

never said that. it was an offtopic comment.

HRD2PLZ
07-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

yeah dude that is the best time to leave. get a good sleep the night before and a killer power nap or alternate with someone and your set. usually when i go, leaving at 12am or so i hit kamloops at between 530-630 depending on how fast i am travelling. I stop at the shell, fuel up, hit the 24hrs mcdicks on the way out and eat and drive. get into van at between 830-930 BC time. So usually about 9-10 hours but with that much less traffic you really could take your time and not worry bout trying to pass some slow ass you passed before but caught up when you stopped for gas.

see you there in august :D

Awesome! I'm definitely gonna try that this time around. That would work out great, the worst part about the drive I find is the amount of traffic on single-lane highways. It drives me :nut:

FiveFreshFish
07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Another good reason to drive at night is because it's cooler so you don't have to run the air con. Good headlights are a must for fast nighttime driving.

BokCh0y
07-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Another good reason to drive at night is because it's cooler so you don't have to run the air con. Good headlights are a must for fast nighttime driving.

2.0turbo
07-25-2005, 03:55 PM

Canmore can be done in 35 minutes and Golden in less than 2 hours. Provided there is no traffic. 6 hrs isn't unreasonable.

6 hours in incredibly unreasonable. :rolleyes:

I don't belive for one second that anyone here has done the trip in 6 hours.

It's 970.22 kms from 14th street to downtow Vancouver. thats 160 km/h the whole way not considering traffic, stops for gas and police officers.
I once took the plane and it only took 10 minutes. (maybe these people didn't take the hour difference into consideration but even still.....)

yohan4ws
07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Wow, lots of action on this thread but wicked tips ... I never considered doing it at night, I was going to drive right after work and head out and then catch a campsite somewhere with the tent and airbed... however, catching some sleep when I get home from work and leaving at midnight could be the way to go ... hmm.

btw, I've made banff once in 45mins (doorstop to Aurora) .. doing peaks of 170km/h holding steady 150 .. .. as fast as my lil 85 Prelude would go.

ecstasy_civic
07-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Ive done that trip NUMEROUS times and the fastest ive done it was 8hr 4min including 2 gas stops and lunch @ wendy's:D

That includes the time difference too:burnout:

From Harvest Hills - Westwood Plateau, Coquitlam.

Khyron
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I go to Merritt all the time, and the only real traps I find are on both sides of Revelstoke.

Did the drive at night and while it was clear most of the way, the Rogers pass is murder if it gets foggy. Top speed of 40 and it felt too fast.

Rage's NSX buddy would have had to be topping out at 260+ km/hr the whole way to Van on the Coquahala though to make up for the Rogers/Golden stretches - did he have some sort of immunity or just didn't care that that's a huge jail sentence?

Khyron

skyline19
07-25-2005, 10:33 PM
i did it in give or take 10 hrs. that was driving w/ a truck towing a flatbed on may long in the middle of the day. i was wheaving in and out like a mad man. only had one stop though. I plan on going again in a week or so. ditching the truck and taking the ol' T-Bird. 160 all the way. :nut:

Deer, moose, elk and every other mammal is bad in and around banff, canmore, gloden:banghead: so watch out especcially if you are driving at night.

rage2
07-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Rage's NSX buddy would have had to be topping out at 260+ km/hr the whole way to Van on the Coquahala though to make up for the Rogers/Golden stretches - did he have some sort of immunity or just didn't care that that's a huge jail sentence?
How'd you know it was an NSX?

Yea, we were all young once, when we didn't give a shit ;).

max_boost
07-25-2005, 10:45 PM
^^^

You guys are insane. I made the drive once and it took me over 10 hours, I enjoyed the scenery. :D

K271
07-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Just did the trip in 9 hours, one stop in revelstoke for gas, bathrrom, and one stop at Roger's Pass for lunch. You have to slow down at Roger's Pass but time can be made up afterwards through Salmon Arm and on the Coquihalla. No cops when i went up last week. Traffic was ridiculous near Abbotsford.

CalgaryB5
07-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Looks like no one mention about possible RCMP tickets or crashes. Let’s do a Gumball thing point to point from YYC to YVR. :D :burnout:

TheBenzo
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
7 insanely fast? I did it in 6 hrs flat, that included a lunch stop and multiple gas stops. I know someone that did it in 5 without stopping for lunch, just nascar style gas stops lol. :werd: 6 hours 45 minutes from limit to limit. Motherfuck was that ever the craziest workout my enzo ever did. Av speed of 190 km/h with stops. Just bought shitload of food in Vanc and pissed once.

RCMP Hot spots (Ive seen):
Kamloops
Revelstoke
Sicamous
Princeton
Hope

So slow down from 240 to 100 through there.

LOL. Idiots.

TheBenzo
07-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo

I don't belive for one second that anyone here has done the trip in 6 hours.

It's 970.22 kms from 14th street to downtow Vancouver. thats 160 km/h the whole way not considering traffic, stops for gas and police officers.
I once took the plane and it only took 10 minutes. (maybe these people didn't take the hour difference into consideration but even still.....) wtf is so absurd about that? 160km? Are you driving a governed half ton or something? I dont know what yar driving.. but I can stay steady at 2bills (if I wanted to of course) bursts of 240ish... You leave at 2am and the only traffic is really truckers and the odd road crew.. I even got to do some drifting on the Hope-Princeton :D

BokCh0y
07-26-2005, 08:11 AM
^^^^:werd:

I've done banff to calgary in 35 minutes flat. As long as you leave at like 12am or something around that time there isn't any traffic but truckers. Can open her right up.

lude_grl
07-26-2005, 08:24 AM
im going mid august :) to van
anyone else going then?

TheBenzo
07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Im going to Burger King in 15 minutes...

rage2
07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
It's only incredibly unreasonable if you are a law abiding citizen ;).

Remember, you can easily cruise at 250 on the coquahala without getting busted.

yohan4ws
07-26-2005, 12:44 PM
is there ever cops on the coq ? I was flying through at 180km/h .. could by why I made seattle in an even 12hours ..

I was chasin some veedub.

Ben
07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
is there ever cops on the coq ? I was flying through at 180km/h .. could by why I made seattle in an even 12hours ..

I was chasin some veedub.

Never seen one, and I've pulled some pretty crazy speed through there.

QuasarCav
07-26-2005, 12:56 PM

I heard all these rumours about it being really fast and I thought I would take it easy. After the 4th car passed me at well over 180km/hr I decided it was time to cruise. Time flies on that highway. Best $10 I've ever spent.

BokCh0y
07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I've seen cops on the coq but usually during the day or late afternoon but more so during long weekends.

gkAeris
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
i drove last month, cops at kamloops,

i once saw cops in the Coq Highway!

ummm

going again this friday going to be fun! leave at 2am, like they say it's the best

last month we left at 4pm, stupid stupid traffic!

Khyron
07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
My relatives live in Merrit and I've seen them all the time on the Kamloops/Coq run.

I don't know if they still use planes but they did before and would just call ahead to a rcmp roadblock on the other side of the hill. A friend of a friend got tagged that way. They also setup the laser ontop of the overpasses and then again call ahead to the road block a few miles down. This is usually right at the top peak of the merrit->kam run. Or just a few kms from the Kamloops entry at the bottom of the hill if you're going Van-Cal.

Khyron

2.0turbo
07-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I used to live just on the west side of Kamloops, the cops would set up all the time at the top of the hill on your way out of the loops right by the truck stop. So watch for them there.

I guess I'm just too nice to my car, cant justify sitting 5500 rpms for 7 hours. It's a nice drive anyhow.

crazytou
07-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I do this drive every second weekend. And i assure you anybody that says 7 hours on this drive is a liar...And last weekend if one of you were driving a red lambo through golden then you can see why the speed limit is 40kms around the snake corners cause a lambo couldn't even do them at 90kms and finished up in a rock wall and seriously hurting his woman.

7 hours what crap!

nambis
07-28-2005, 03:49 PM
fools = kids who claim to drive 240 km/h straight to vancouver :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

Pacman
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm doing the drive from Calgary to Vancouver tomorrow.

Can someone suggest a good town to stop over for the night? Looking to do 4-6 hours of driving the first night.

Also, if anyone can suggest a hotel too, that would be great.

Thanks
james

HondaKid
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I would think with cell phones and nothing else for people to do for ten hours, they would call you in if you were driving like a mad man. All they need is a plate number and model. I would not risk it, but enjoy reading of those who fought the law. That song ended badly for some as well.

So would you call in someone blasting by you at 160? Would it depend on the make of the car?

I find the important part of the trip is avoiding rush hour on the Van end. Never get it right.

If you have a female in the car add an hour for pee breaks, or bring a piss jug.

revelations
06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
My god some of you guys ARE nuts. I did it in 10 hrs on a crotch rocket - but that was about an hour extra because I had limited range on the bike with a small tank (180kms) so it means stops every few hours.

Still, I hauled (what I thought was) some serious ass through the mountain bits, I even tailed a Viper on the CoqaCola for a good distance doing 170+.

But 6 hrs.... wow

HondaKid
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by revelations
My god some of you guys ARE nuts. I did it in 10 hrs on a crotch rocket - but that was about an hour extra because I had limited range on the bike with a small tank (180kms) so it means stops every few hours.

Still, I hauled (what I thought was) some serious ass through the mountain bits, I even tailed a Viper on the CoqaCola for a good distance doing 170+.

But 6 hrs.... wow

10 hours on a bike is more impressive than the anything so far. How could you walk after that?

Freeskier
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by nambis
fools = kids who claim to drive 240 km/h straight to vancouver :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

:werd: 6 hrs is fuckin horse shit. The coq is not long enough to be able to make up for all the single lane highway.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM

HondaKid
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
And factor in the highway construction delays:

This really caught my eye:

Motorists are advised that they should fuel up at either Revelstoke or Golden as no fuel is available at the Rogers Pass Summit until further notice. Updated on Thu May 20 at 8:27 am. (ID# -21015)

BC:
http://www.drivebc.ca/byRouteEvents.jsp?eventType=current&routeOne=H1_E%7CH1_W&routeTwo=H5_N%7CH5_S&routeThree=&routeFour=&x=25&y=11

Alberta:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=roadconstr&Province=Alberta&searchby=all&CourseName=

C_Dave45
06-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Ive done that trip NUMEROUS times and the fastest ive done it was 8hr 4min including 2 gas stops and lunch @ wendy's:D

That includes the time difference too:burnout:

From Harvest Hills - Westwood Plateau, Coquitlam.
And you're still another 45 minutes to Vancouver...So 9 hrs. Which is about right. 6/7 hours=bullshit.

Originally posted by Pacman

Can someone suggest a good town to stop over for the night? Looking to do 4-6 hours of driving the first night.

Thanks
james

Salmon Arm is your mid way point. There's a nice little hotel on the way down the hill by Maguire lake called Podollan Inn (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=801-20th+Street+NE,+Salmon+Arm,+BC&sll=50.700127,-119.284717&sspn=0.001563,0.003959&g=salmon+arm&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=801+20+St+NE,+Salmon+Arm,+Columbia-Shuswap+Regional+District,+British+Columbia+V1E+2R7&ll=50.705441,-119.274852&spn=0,0.024011&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.703468,-119.268407&panoid=zG4mxHTi_PLJ1Z-8RuLn_A&cbp=12,132.89,,0,-1.91) on your left. Fairly reasonable prices. They used to have a real good greek food restaurant in there. The pool has bar service too! For breakfast go back up the hill to the "Home" restaurant. Huge portions and really good waffles.

Bizzareo
06-09-2010, 10:06 PM
14 hours... ( i was too young to drive..) I love going to kewlona for all the curvy parts... To bad you can't see oncoming traffic. With the new bridge in the pass you save like 30 min..

Kloubek
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
The distance, according to Google is 976km.

In order to get it done in 6 hours straight (no stopping), one would have to travel an average of 162km/hr. That is excluding slowing for any construction zones, traffic, or adverse weather conditions.

Include a stop to pick up a drive-through bite and a piss break, any kind of daytime traffic, and going even double the posted speed in cities like Salmon Arm, you'd have to go in upwards of 200km/hr or more the rest of the way.

And while I realize some cars can handle those kinds of continuous speeds, I don't think I could do that and call myself anything remotely resembling responsible - especially when you factor in driver fatigue.

HondaKid
06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

And you're still another 45 minutes to Vancouver...So 9 hrs. Which is about right. 6/7 hours=bullshit.

Salmon Arm is your mid way point. There's a nice little hotel on the way down the hill by Maguire lake called Podollan Inn (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=801-20th+Street+NE,+Salmon+Arm,+BC&sll=50.700127,-119.284717&sspn=0.001563,0.003959&g=salmon+arm&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=801+20+St+NE,+Salmon+Arm,+Columbia-Shuswap+Regional+District,+British+Columbia+V1E+2R7&ll=50.705441,-119.274852&spn=0,0.024011&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.703468,-119.268407&panoid=zG4mxHTi_PLJ1Z-8RuLn_A&cbp=12,132.89,,0,-1.91) on your left. Fairly reasonable prices. They used to have a real good greek food restaurant in there. The pool has bar service too! For breakfast go back up the hill to the "Home" restaurant. Huge portions and really good waffles.

Thanks, I too will use this plan in July.

http://www.homerestaurants.ca/

shutterbug_art8
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
My fastest time was 8hrs (border to border) with a quick lunch, stop 2 times for gas. I thought I was fast.

I gained a lot of time from Abbotsford to Kamloop, then Lake Louise to COP. 7 hrs I can see being doable, but 5-6hrs?? um...

2BLUE
06-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I have heard of people doing it in just over 6 hours before, but not recently. Seems like there are way more police out there these days. But I am sure there are still some crazy mo-fo's out there that risk it.

I typically do the trip in about 9 hours with a gas stop and lunch during the day, I can do it in about 7.5 to 8 if I go at night when there is less traffic. Nothing too crazy, maybe 10 or 20 over the limit.

....although, I was doing it at night one time a few years back and I was stopped dead on the highway at 3:00am for over 2 hours because they were moving a freaking house down the highway. :banghead: Shit like that can really screw up your schedule.

You can't do it in 6 hours ever. EVER..

eglove
06-09-2010, 11:48 PM
fastest i've ever done is just over 9hrs to the ferries

Xtrema
06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by CalgaryB5
Looks like no one mention about possible RCMP tickets or crashes. Let’s do a Gumball thing point to point from YYC to YVR. :D :burnout:

I'm down for that. :)

revelations
06-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid
10 hours on a bike is more impressive than the anything so far. How could you walk after that?

Throttle lock and fuel stops every 90 minutes helped. Wearing a backpack - not so much!

Isaiah
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
The distance, according to Google is 976km.

In order to get it done in 6 hours straight (no stopping), one would have to travel an average of 162km/hr. That is excluding slowing for any construction zones, traffic, or adverse weather conditions.

Include a stop to pick up a drive-through bite and a piss break, any kind of daytime traffic, and going even double the posted speed in cities like Salmon Arm, you'd have to go in upwards of 200km/hr or more the rest of the way.

And while I realize some cars can handle those kinds of continuous speeds, I don't think I could do that and call myself anything remotely resembling responsible - especially when you factor in driver fatigue.
Nailed it.

I just drove to Van last week and it was about 9 hours but we were doing a fairly good clip most of the way. Even hitting 180's at some points, I can't imagine doing 200+ straight through.

rage2
06-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
You can't do it in 6 hours ever. EVER..
I did it in '96 or '97 in a modded 944 Turbo. I have a friend that did it in 5.5hrs in an NSX. It can be done if you're an idiot. I dunno if it's doable today though.

I actually did it in 6.5hrs, that's because my gf at the time had to stop for food. A&W took 30 mins.

edit - I must be getting old. Looking at my original post, I have it at 6 hours including food. I can't remember which one it was anymore.

There might be some really OG's that remember this run in '94.

http://tinyurl.com/22nhalp

6 mins at 8pm. That's stopping for red lights too. To be young and crazy.

lilmira
06-10-2010, 08:47 AM
That's like doing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. :D

Let's see here.
Calgary-Louise, dist 188km, avg speed 188kph, 1hr;
Louise-Kamloops, dist 444km, avg 160kph, 2.78hr;
Kamloops to Hope, dist 195km, avg 200kph, .98hr;
Hope to Van, dist 161km, dist 161km, avg 160kph, 1hr

Providing that you don't get stopped by RCs or stuck behind anyone in the mountains, it's doable.

rage2
06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I actually did it the hard way. Vancouver to Calgary uphill. My friend did it from Calgary to Vancouver.

lilmira
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I actually did it the hard way. Vancouver to Calgary uphill. My friend did it from Calgary to Vancouver.

How much gas did you use?

2 refills and bone dry by the time you got to Calgary?

masoncgy
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

Thanks
james

A couple years back we have stayed in the Kamloops Econolodge that is just off the Trans Canada @ Vicars Road, there is a Chevron gas station on the corner, then an Arby's and I believe it is right next to the Arby's.

Cheap & clean, I would recommend it.

Kamloops is a good stopping point. You get the worst of the drive over and then just have a 3+ hour run into Vancouver the next day.

masoncgy
06-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I would say that outside of having perfect timing & a whole ton of good luck, making it from Calgary to Vancouver in 6 hours these days is impossible.

You can barely make it to Kamloops in 5-6 hours on a good day... the road between Lake Louise & Monte Creek is way too congested & littered with road construction projects to even get above 100 km/h for long periods, so whatever time you drop on the Calgary-Lake Louise run you make up on the next leg.

The only opportunity for such a quick run would be at night and I still doubt it could be done.

nj2Type-S
06-10-2010, 09:31 AM
i drove to vancouver on the may long weekend. i left calgary at around 7pm and arrived vancouver at around 5am. i was traveling with females so we had to stop quite often, lol. i loved driving at night because there was no traffic and i was pretty scared most of the time so drowsiness wasn't an issue, lol.

coming home, however, sucked balls. we left vancouver at around 8am and got stuck behind so many slow drivers. not to mention, there were tons of cops along the way. ohhh, and we got stuck for 3.5hrs at the trans canada highway near banff. that's right, 3.5hrs in the car going 5km/h.

if i could do it over again, i would've driven back to calgary at night. why risk getting caught speeding to save a couple of hours off your trip???

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
06-17-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm actually posting from vancouver right now.
It took about.... 10 hours to do the drive. The weather was pretty bad. Fog slowed us down to 50 KM/hr at one point, and the traffic kept our speeds right around the limit.

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Is anyone else curious as to why it has taken the government over 7 years to twin a 15 km stretch of the Trans Canada east of Lake Louise... in fact, it's STILL not finished!

The entire Coquihalla was built in 8 years (1979-1987) and it's a 186 km long freeway with 5-6 lanes in portions, built through some of the toughest terrain around.

The Lake Louise construction seems like an endless 'make work' project.

Pacman
06-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
I'm actually posting from vancouver right now.
It took about.... 10 hours to do the drive. The weather was pretty bad. Fog slowed us down to 50 KM/hr at one point, and the traffic kept our speeds right around the limit.

We drove back on Monday. Did the speed limit the entire way, 2 quick stops for fuel and 1 20 min stop for lunch. Took 11.5 hours.

We were stuck in traffic around Hope for a while as there was construction.

revelations
06-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Is anyone else curious as to why it has taken the government over 7 years to twin a 15 km stretch of the Trans Canada east of Lake Louise... in fact, it's STILL not finished!

The entire Coquihalla was built in 8 years (1979-1987) and it's a 186 km long freeway with 5-6 lanes in portions, built through some of the toughest terrain around.

The Lake Louise construction seems like an endless 'make work' project.

Going through a federal park, I'm sure there is a ton of red tape to wade through.

Someone please think of the animals !!

89coupe
06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I prefer taking the #3, I find there is way less traffic & the scenery is much nicer.

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=3397744

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
^ It also takes 4-5 hours more to go on the #3 to Vancouver... that's a 14-15 hr drive in one shot... ugh...

atgilchrist
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Going through a federal park, I'm sure there is a ton of red tape to wade through.

Someone please think of the animals !!

Related to that, the 90km/h limit through the parks drives me up the wall. There are many parts where having the limit that low is justified.

But the twinned highway through Banff NP, with a full meridian and animal fencing, is actually better protectd than the highway just east of there, by Canmore, but the limit is 20 km/h lower. :whipped:

89coupe
06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
^ It also takes 4-5 hours more to go on the #3 to Vancouver... that's a 14-15 hr drive in one shot... ugh...

No it doesn't, regardless of what Map Quest says.

Traffic is insane going north and then down.

The #3 gets half the traffic which means fewer stops and less delays. It averages out about the same if you drive the speed limit.

asp integra
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM
i always see cops hidden with radar between revy and sicamous, mostly pointed at traffic heading east towards revy

Tomaz
07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
BUMP!

Planning on making the trip to the Victoria next week. Has anyone recently made the trip out or back to Calgary? What was traffic like, any major construction delays?

tenth
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Did the Victoria drive on July long. Was 12.5 hours there and 15 hours back (including ferry and waiting). This actually involved a healthy amount of speeding (20-40 over when possible), but traffic was an issue. Traffic on the Sunday of the long weekend was a nightmare, and the twinning construction Eastbound at Lake Louise took an hour to get through ~25k.

For speed traps, the only consistent spot was Revelstoke, which had traps setup just east of the town heading out, and basically in-town coming back. Also, on the way back there was an RCMP car planted on one of the overpasses around Lake Louise taking speeds, with 2 or 3 chase vehicles below, something I had only seen in the states before.

I didn't book a reservation on the ferry and did fine. It's cheaper to show-up unannounced, so that was the route I went.

masoncgy
07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The #3 gets half the traffic which means fewer stops and less delays. It averages out about the same if you drive the speed limit.

hahaha... yeah 'fewer stops', except you have how many MORE little communities to pass through, thus reducing your speed even further...?

Give me a break, it is not even close to being the same travel time, even with the construction on the #1.

Sugarphreak
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM

masoncgy
07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
^ I think that overpass IS part of the construction zone now, if you're talking about the Icefields Parkway junction. It's a bloody mess there now.

Tomaz
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Hell, I was thinking of skipping the headache and going through Great Falls/Spokane/Seattle/Port Andre/Victoria. 20 hour drive over 2 days and it would be something i have never done before... Supposed to be another beautiful drive.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I didn't know how much construction was going on along the #1.:nut:

89coupe
07-21-2010, 10:15 AM

hahaha... yeah 'fewer stops', except you have how many MORE little communities to pass through, thus reducing your speed even further...?

Give me a break, it is not even close to being the same travel time, even with the construction on the #1.

I've done it many times, no difference.

masoncgy
07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
^ Then you're full of it. ;)

Freeskier
07-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Hell, I was thinking of skipping the headache and going through Great Falls/Spokane/Seattle/Port Andre/Victoria. 20 hour drive over 2 days and it would be something i have never done before... Supposed to be another beautiful drive.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I didn't know how much construction was going on along the #1.:nut:

I did that trip at the end of last summer to get back out to vic, I went down through Creston, Spokane, Tacoma (saw ACDC which made the drive all sorts of worth it) then up the peninsula to Port Angeles. The ferry comes right into the Inner Harbor in downtown Vic. Interesting change of scenery from the TransCanada, I enjoyed the drive a lot.

LadyLuck
12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
So i am looking to drive out to Van around the 27th of December for a few days and spend new years out there...anyone done the drive during the winter? Id love to hear about your experience :)

C_Dave45
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
So i am looking to drive out to Van around the 27th of December for a few days and spend new years out there...anyone done the drive during the winter? Id love to hear about your experience :)

I've done it a few times. :dunno: no big deal. You always run the risk of a big snow storm, then it gets a little ugly. You just go slow and take your time. Revelstoke area and the summit gets pretty slippery during a heavy dump. Other than that, all the roads are continually sanded and plowed. The worst part is the limited hours of driving. Gets dark around 4:30. We made the trip overnight one time. Had to spend about 6 hours parked right on the highway, as they had closed it due to an avalanche. Making it in a non-stop trip is a tough one. Might want to consider stopping overnight in Salmon Arm.

EM1FTW
12-01-2010, 06:23 PM
took me 8.5 to 9 hours last summer, including fuel and food stops. Fuel stops were quite frequent thanks to a type-r tranny :facepalm:

Saw a couple cops on the coq....V1 ftw!

you&me
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by EM1FTW
took me 8.5 to 9 hours last summer, including fuel and food stops. Fuel stops were quite frequent thanks to a type-r tranny :facepalm:

What the hell is wrong with your car that fuel stops were "frequent"? There is no reason you should've needed to stop for gas more than once :dunno:

As far as driving in the winter, plan well in advance. I've done it many times... There have been time that it's taken 9.5 hr (with stops) and other times, it's taken almost 18hrs... completely depends on conditions. Dec 27th is NOT the time to try and rush out there... leave yourself lots of time, be well prepared and have a plan B and you'll be fine.

sevewone
12-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by you&me

What the hell is wrong with your car that fuel stops were "frequent"? There is no reason you should've needed to stop for gas more than once :dunno:

As far as driving in the winter, plan well in advance. I've done it many times... There have been time that it's taken 9.5 hr (with stops) and other times, it's taken almost 18hrs... completely depends on conditions. Dec 27th is NOT the time to try and rush out there... leave yourself lots of time, be well prepared and have a plan B and you'll be fine.

good to know most the beyond morons havnt gone anywhere:rofl: . My work explorer gets 350km a tank..explain that.

LadyLuck
12-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I've done it a few times. :dunno: no big deal. You always run the risk of a big snow storm, then it gets a little ugly. You just go slow and take your time. Revelstoke area and the summit gets pretty slippery during a heavy dump. Other than that, all the roads are continually sanded and plowed. The worst part is the limited hours of driving. Gets dark around 4:30. We made the trip overnight one time. Had to spend about 6 hours parked right on the highway, as they had closed it due to an avalanche. Making it in a non-stop trip is a tough one. Might want to consider stopping overnight in Salmon Arm.

Thanks boys! I appreciate the feedback.

EM1FTW
12-02-2010, 01:09 AM

Try driving at 5000rpm and see how long your gas lasts with a 45L tank

adam c
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM

sure you can do it in one fuel stop but that's pushing it, ESPECIALLY in the winter, for 99% of the other people most pit stops are Golden and Kamloops, I prefer Revelstoke to Golden as the price of gas is cheaper there but it's not usually open late at night like Golden is

you&me
12-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by sevewone

good to know most the beyond morons havnt gone anywhere:rofl: . My work explorer gets 350km a tank..explain that.

And to think I intentionally left the fuel consumption calculations out of my initial post, thinking that anyone questioning me would either know or actually check for themselves before jumping to conclusions. Guess not.

An ITR has a 13 gallon fuel tank and gets a manufacturer claimed (usually conservative to real life experience) 30mpg. Even at, say, 25mpg, an ITR would be able to easily get to Van with a single fuel stop.

I think most would agree that it's considered average to require 1-2 fuel stops to get to Van. "Frequent" would imply much higher than average, therefore 3-4. If an ITR requires 3-4 fuel stops on a drive to Van, something is seriously wrong with his car... Or more likely he was using hyperbole so everyone knew how fast he was going and that his vtec kicked in...

you&me
12-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by adam c

sure you can do it in one fuel stop but that's pushing it, ESPECIALLY in the winter, for 99% of the other people most pit stops are Golden and Kamloops, I prefer Revelstoke to Golden as the price of gas is cheaper there but it's not usually open late at night like Golden is

Very true and relevant to Ladyluck's question about driving to Van.

As I said, anyone making a trip in the winter should plan ahead and be prepared, including possible fuel stops ;)

e31
12-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Also FYI the Trans-Canada construction has been pretty much wrapped up, so you will now have a twin-lanes from Calgary to Lake Louise. You can bet the cops will be watching this closely for sure.

Sugarphreak
12-02-2010, 01:36 PM

EM1FTW
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM

And to think I intentionally left the fuel consumption calculations out of my initial post, thinking that anyone questioning me would either know or actually check for themselves before jumping to conclusions. Guess not.

An ITR has a 13 gallon fuel tank and gets a manufacturer claimed (usually conservative to real life experience) 30mpg. Even at, say, 25mpg, an ITR would be able to easily get to Van with a single fuel stop.

I think most would agree that it's considered average to require 1-2 fuel stops to get to Van. "Frequent" would imply much higher than average, therefore 3-4. If an ITR requires 3-4 fuel stops on a drive to Van, something is seriously wrong with his car... Or more likely he was using hyperbole so everyone knew how fast he was going and that his vtec kicked in...
I had to stop 3 times with an 11.5 gallon tank.
The car was in vtec any time I wanted to go faster then 120km/h.

So no, there was nothing wrong with the car. Running any car above 5000rpm for 8 hours wont exactly do wonders for the fuel mileage.

HiSpec
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead.

But I'm heading to Vancouver, and I was wondering where is the best place to fuel up? I know I can get there with one fuel stop, and was told that after a certain point there are no more gas stations.

Thanks!