PDA

View Full Version : wider wheels on AWD

civicrider
07-26-2005, 06:18 PM
my car is AWD but i want to put 8" wheels on the front and 9.5" on the back, ive been told its a bad idea but why? what would this cause in the long run?

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Just do it.
Some people will tell you that its a bad idea because the set up is meant for rwd cars, but screw them. Staggered setups own and it will look killer on our cars.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
so it wont damage my car?

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
HELL NO!
There is no way it will cause damage.

nismodrifter
07-26-2005, 06:32 PM
wurd to the :bigpimp: factor of staggered y0!!
Slam, stretch and poke should be words you guys live by :D

civicrider
07-26-2005, 06:33 PM
do the ones in my sig look like they are 8" in the front and 9.5 in the back?

civicrider
07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
ive herd they are TSW volcanos but is there anyway to blow up the center cap and see what they are for sure????

GTS Jeff
07-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by DC2uned
Just do it.
Some people will tell you that its a bad idea because the set up is meant for rwd cars, but screw them. Staggered setups own and it will look killer on our cars. Staggered setups "own" on oversteer prone cars, which isn't an AWD car, that's for sure.

Your AWD car will understeer pretty bad with a staggered setup IMO.

And as far as damage goes, I don't really see what could happen, except for maybe stressing your center diff with the constant difference in traction.

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
wurd to the :bigpimp: factor of staggered y0!!
Slam, stretch and poke should be words you guys live by :D

:werd:
Your car=:drool: :drool:

Originally posted by civicrider
do the ones in my sig look like they are 8" in the front and 9.5 in the back?

You can't really tell by looking i don't think, but probably close.
Here is a link of :bigpimp: staggered setup with 8" front and 9.5" rear.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56943

tsi_neal
07-26-2005, 06:41 PM
my car is AWD but i want to put 8" wheels on the front and 9.5" on the back, ive been told its a bad idea but why? what would this cause in the long run?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Staggered setups "own" on oversteer prone cars, which isn't an AWD car, that's for sure.

Your AWD car will understeer pretty bad with a staggered setup IMO.

And as far as damage goes, I don't really see what could happen, except for maybe stressing your center diff with the constant difference in traction.

If the OD of the tire is near identical there 'shouldnt' be a problem with anything breaking, but as jeff pointed out if you like your corners then the center diff might take a massive beating. And it was also mentioned that youll kill the handling balance of the car

And IMO staggered wheels dont look anybetter than massive wheels all around. But if your a show car weenie and have to have a look thats wrong for your car and are willing to suffer potential consequences then go nuts

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
If the OD of the tire is near identical there 'shouldnt' be a problem with anything breaking, but as jeff pointed out if you like your corners then the center diff might take a massive beating. And it was also mentioned that youll kill the handling balance of the car

And IMO staggered wheels dont look anybetter than massive wheels all around. But if your a show car weenie and have to have a look thats wrong for your car and are willing to suffer potential consequences then go nuts

So if you like a certain look you are a car show weenie??
And how is a look wrong for a car? As far as things breaking, there is no way in hell that the center diff will face enough stress to break, from the WHOPPING 1.5" difference. Get your head out of you ass.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
hmm i do like corners and i want to have good handling, will it effect it that much?

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 06:50 PM
hmm i do like corners and i want to have good handling, will it effect it that much?

NO!
You will not noice a difference in corners at all.

tsi_neal
07-26-2005, 07:20 PM

So if you like a certain look you are a car show weenie??
And how is a look wrong for a car? As far as things breaking, there is no way in hell that the center diff will face enough stress to break, from the WHOPPING 1.5" difference. Get your head out of you ass.

NO!
You will not noice a difference in corners at all.

I think your head is in your ass, first of all ive played around with different tire sizes on RWD cars, and the difference in handling just from going from a 205 to a 215 to a 225 in the rear all while keeping a 205 in the front was VERY dramatic.

Secondly audi differentials are very sensitive to different tire sizes, any difference in OD and id call breakage, difference in width, im not sure and would probably depend on driving habits, but i wouldnt risk it.

This is assuming that there will be wider tires on the wider wheels of course, and if there isnt then the wider wheels will look worse...

Oh and car show guys are weenies when they do gay things because they think it looks better, make it drive better and look better at the same time and there is a good mod.

CIVICRIDER, the smart thing to do would be figure out how wide you can fit on the front and get that all around, and cram as wide a tire on as will fit, things will look extremely good.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 07:28 PM
yeah but it might look dumb with a fat lip on the front wheels too

tsi_neal
07-26-2005, 07:34 PM
yeah but it might look dumb with a fat lip on the front wheels too

Naw, keep it the same, Beemers run deep rims on the front all the time and they look good.
i dont have any pics but i helped fit some 265's on all 4 corners of a talon not long ago, and it looked SICK. Had to roll the front fenders to clear the tires. Stuck out just a touch on the front, and just tucked on on the back. awesome looking, and makes my 245's feel tiny. Now doing this we werent so much into the look of it, but rather getting as much rubber on the ground as possible. but neither of us could deny how good it looked.

R-Audi
07-26-2005, 09:18 PM

You can't really tell by looking i don't think, but probably close.
Here is a link of :bigpimp: staggered setup with 8" front and 9.5" rear.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56943

Did you read this thread? It clearly says the wheels are 19x8.5.. (Both front and rear)

Axis wheels do differemt offsets to allow for these lips, they are the EXACT same width. If you want lip, and dont want to possibly screw with your differential, go for Axis or Jazz wheels, as I think they both do this. (Same company at one point)
Looking at the wheels on your sig, it appears they are the exact same size, most likely 8.5 width.. any more and you WILL rub, I can almost guarantee! (I rub with 8.5's and my drop isnt that drastic)

If you want more info about why staggered wheels is a poor choice try a real Audi website like Audiworld.. IMO AZ =Kraut!

civicrider
07-26-2005, 09:24 PM
the wheels in my sig are 8's on the front and 9.5's on the back its all they are available in

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Did you read this thread? It clearly says the wheels are 19x8.5.. (Both front and rear)

Axis wheels do differemt offsets to allow for these lips, they are the EXACT same width. If you want lip, and dont want to possibly screw with your differential, go for Axis or Jazz wheels, as I think they both do this. (Same company at one point)
Looking at the wheels on your sig, it appears they are the exact same size, most likely 8.5 width.. any more and you WILL rub, I can almost guarantee! (I rub with 8.5's and my drop isnt that drastic)

If you want more info about why staggered wheels is a poor choice try a real Audi website like Audiworld.. IMO AZ =Kraut!

Uhhh first off calm down.
Second read his response as to what the wheel size is, he answers 19x8.
And since the lip is obviously different from the front to back i figured 19x8 front and 19x9.5 back.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 09:54 PM
is there anyway to pull out the back fenders without major bodywork, like maybe an inch?

R-Audi
07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks....

My mistake on the 8 instead on the 8.5.. My point was they are the same width...

Check out the Axis website.. you can have different lip on the exact same width of wheel. I think they call it Maxxis lip. If you want different lip on the front and back, this is the way to go.

You can roll the fenders.. Im not sure about pulling them without having to re-paint the entire piece. Last I heard you could rent a roller from Tunerworks... or use a heat gun and a baseball bat

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Thanks....

My mistake on the 8 instead on the 8.5.. My point was they are the same width...

Check out the Axis website.. you can have different lip on the exact same width of wheel. I think they call it Maxxis lip. If you want different lip on the front and back, this is the way to go.

You can roll the fenders.. Im not sure about pulling them without having to re-paint the entire piece. Last I heard you could rent a roller from Tunerworks... or use a heat gun and a baseball bat

That would be the best option, I had no idea you can have more lip on one wheel then the other, yet have the same width.

As far as rolling the fender, me and my buddy did it on his TL with the machine from Tunerworks. Super easy, and fast.

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/mod/mod.html

Check the side diagram. R-Audi is right. Thats would probably be the best choice, if you are afraid of a true staggered setup.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 10:19 PM
what does rolling the fender do just pull it out a bit?

yeah ive herd of the maxxis lip but i think its only available on a couple of their wheels the mods being one of them

DC2uned
07-26-2005, 10:26 PM
what does rolling the fender do just pull it out a bit?

yeah ive herd of the maxxis lip but i think its only available on a couple of their wheels the mods being one of them

You are just bending the fender outwards. It won't really look any different, but it will give you more room to tuck the tire.

civicrider
07-26-2005, 10:27 PM
and what did it cost you to rent that?

R-Audi
07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
New Axis Wheel!!

Hit!!! (http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/penta/penta.html)
Allthough these dont have the "maxis" lip, they have a 2 1/4 lip.. which wouldnt look bad all around!
I thought the Milano's had the Maxxis, but it turns out they only have different widths..

I think the roller was something like $75 to rent? Ask Rob.. it may be lower...

civicrider
07-26-2005, 10:35 PM
thats a decent looking rim yeah only the seven mods have that maxis lip available

heres a guy with 8's in the front and 9's in the back and he said theres no problems
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/b5europaa4/newtails.jpg

im really into those TSW's staggered but i dont want to chance it messing up my ride, and no ones can get milanos in there on back order