PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Yellowstone

cidley69
07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Anyone know any good campsite halfway between Calgary and Yellowstone?

I was thinking of going to Lewis and Clark Caverns, there is supposed to be a campground right near there. Has anyone been that way before?

Godfuader
07-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Dont know about places half-way to yellowstone, but when we went to yellowstone last we stayed outside of the park. They have tons of private huts styled lodges and campgrounds too. Its cheaper, quieter, and the views are better. Plus the park is like a 5 min ride. If you are going from the north end, there is a small town. We went from the east side where it was thick forests, which in my opinion, was better.

cidley69
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip.

Ya, I have heard that all around the park is national forest, which means you can camp whereever you want to.

So, you came in from the Wyoming side? Any places in particular that one should check out in the park?

Did you go to the Grand Teton Park just south of Yellowstone?

milesmcewing
07-27-2005, 09:22 PM
There is a campground at the caverns, the caves are worth the trip as well.

Heading south on I-15 just south of Great Falls take the recreation road exit it is a great twisty road that follows the river and then rejoins the I-15 again, a nice detour on the way.

Have a great trip

cidley69
07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Sweet, thanks for the tip, I will take the detour. I love meandering places, you ind the best scenery when you are loose on the route you take. (its the journey.......)

We are gonna go Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, BC, home. Gonna spend at least one night in each state. Should be a great camping road trip.

If you know any other cool detours or campspots let me know.

Cheers!

:burnout:

Godfuader
07-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I dont remember the lodge we stayed at but there were a whole bunch of campgrounds around there. The lodges were fun too. private huts with no tv/phone. were told to hide food under the bed to avoid wildlife wanderings. woke up in the morning to find scratch marks all over the rental. think a moose was humping it all night.