PDA

View Full Version : Sunfire problem

Smokem
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm having issues and want to know the magnitude of the problem.

Last night, after thinking my car died, I gave it some gas when starting it up and smoke came out of my engine bay, smelled like burning rubber. Two minutes later, BANG! belt flew off my alternator. The car still ran fine under battery power and I managed to get myself home (though it wasn't probably the best idea), but I lost power steering as well. The check engine, battery light and eventually ABS light came on.

It is a 95 Sunfire SE, obviously I have to replace the belts, can anyone tell me how difficult this is to do alone?

One of the very few times in my life I am thankful for not owning an import; had it been that way, I would have lost the timing belt as well. Thank GM for timing chains!

w3apon
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
If it's just the alternator belt, replace it and you should be good to go.
They are pretty easy to replace yourself.

Smokem
07-27-2005, 02:43 PM
from your experience, does the alt belt normally drive the power steering belt too or are they separate??

Strugari
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Check your idler pulley, and the A/C (if equipped) for a seized bearing. This is a common problem, but usually an easy fix:thumbsup:

Smokem
07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Turns out the belt drove the A/C, alternator and power steering. Was easy to replace once you figured out which pulley moved ;)

QuasarCav
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
ABS will be the first light to go on if your car is not generating enough power. It draws alot of power itself and is usually the first system to complain.

Smokem
07-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes, I figured that much too with my car... check engine -> battery (alternator not charging) -> ABS was the order of lights, then I just had coolant issues, but added more and hopefully that cured it.