PDA

View Full Version : Buying USED car...Need Help

Jynx
07-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, im considering buying a used car for the first time and wanted some help with the proper precautions which need to be taken...

What things do i need to get checked out prior to purchasing a car?

BTW im a total newb with cars and buying them, so please have patience.

The car im looking into purchasing is a 2002 Acura RSX (if that matters)
Thanks in advance.

Weapon_R
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Check and compare it to other similar trim 2002 RSXs with similar mileage and see if it drives the same. Check and see if there are any indications of body damage or replaced panels.

Take it to a certified and trusted mechanic and have a thorough inspection done. The dealer is generally a good place to take it as the mechanics are most familiar with these types of vehicles.

Make sure you are paying a fair price for the mileage/year of the vehicle. You shouldn't be paying more than 17-20k for the car if its a base/premium, so theres a good starting point.

Jynx
07-27-2005, 04:54 PM
what about getting the VIN and what not checked?
how does that work?

Arthur Dent
07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
with a car that new I'd be mostly worried about accident damage. An inspection and VIN search should be done.

Arthur Dent
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Jynx
what about getting the VIN and what not checked?
how does that work?

get the VIN num, go to registry, give them money and they give you a report.

statick
07-28-2005, 09:25 AM
before u buy the the car, get a lien check done from your local ama office.

freeeked
07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I haven't had much luck going to the registry to get info. I would think you are dropping a few bucks so go to the dealership and get and inspection. (should include compression and leakdown test - although it is a new car so you shouldn't have any problems). Stuff that wears out like tires should be checked. Get all the maintenance records (likely it was taken to a dealship so they should be complete).