PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here Helicopter Pilots

RawB8figure
07-27-2005, 05:45 PM
hi

Anyone here helicopter pilot. if so what school you go to and how much was it to attend? What was the lenght of your program.

Thanks

Ichigo
07-27-2005, 10:31 PM
nice... Do you need perfect 20/20 uncorrected (no glasses) vision to be a pilot?

broken_legs
07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
hi

Anyone here helicopter pilot. if so what school you go to and how much was it to attend? What was the lenght of your program.

Thanks

get your wings and get paid to do it

you have to be rich or broke to get your license any other way

RawB8figure
07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
ya I just found a site with prices and its quoted to be $40,000 to 65,000 for the course. then you have to get your first job which is going to be hard.

I woonder what kind of money these guys make

broken_legs
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
i think pilots make around 100,000 K

if you go the air force route you will get WAY more flying experience and might actually land a nice job when your done your 3.5 years

Just think of it like going to school :)

RawB8figure
07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Ya i looked into the canadian air force route and you need a degree of some sort and 20/20 uncorrected vision

so it looks like i wont be going that route

Goblin
07-28-2005, 02:11 PM
springbank airport mate, best group of people.

tt398
08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
If you don't want to enter the military try

Embry-Riddell Aeonautical University in Daytona Beach Florida.

Weapon_R
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Pilots do not typically make 100k+ unless they are flying the very large airplanes (a330, 767s etc) and those need TONS and TONS of hours and certification. From a friend who is a first captain (co-pilot) at Westjet, they make about 40-50k. Other airliners outside of Canada have much larger budgets to attract pilots and do pay much more.

The problem with becoming a pilot is that there are only a few ways of becoming one. One way is to go to a flight school and pay for your hours, but you really need to have a good $75,000 to get enough training to land a decent first job. Another way is to join the RCAF, but it is very hard to get to where you want (as a fighter/transport pilot) because of Canada's VERY limted budget and airplanes. Keep in mind that there are only a few dozen CF-18's in operation, and very limited opportunities for similar positions, at any one time, and you can see how aspiring pilots have already flooded this route. Another would be to join the USAF, but I imagine there would be some tight restrictions and red tape for Canadians. The last way I can think of is to land a job in Britain, where many passenger airliners actually train their pilots from the ground up. This can be a great way to earn the hours and experience, but its very hard to achieve. Helicopter pilots have even more limited job opportunities.

There are other ways I imagine, but i'll let others elaborate.

ecstasy_civic
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Get your commercial, become a bush pilot for about 5-10yrs, THEN apply for an airline/helicopter pilot.

Straight from numerous airline pilots mouth's.

This was once my plan for a career until I found out it would run me $60 grand, and I would be flying for $15/hr for a few yrs before anything happend.

Good career if you can stick it out, theres about 10 pilots at my work, who either cant afford to keep going or have lost paitience and given up completely.

LancerShelby
08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Do something else with $50K, I'm a helicopter tech at Eagle Copters in town, I know.