PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer install help!

eur0
01-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Ok I got a wiring kit a while back for my amp and hooked it all up, all of a sudden when i was driving my sub just shut off...the power to the amp just stopped and the light turned off...

i did a diagnostic and all seems fine:
- there is power running to the amp
- both amp fuses are fine
- all dash fuses are ok
- rcas and remote wire is hooked up the the deck
- ground is connected to the car frame

yet the damn thing still wont turn on?? :dunno: anyone got any ideas?

jdmakkord
01-28-2003, 01:09 AM
your ground isn't good enough or the amp is fukked

James
01-28-2003, 01:11 AM
try a different spot for your ground...or ya , your amp might be fucked. :dunno:

eur0
01-28-2003, 01:13 AM
haha well shit, i think i had a surge because at the same time when my sub went so did my daytime running lights, i replaced the daytime running light fuse but that doesnt work either :dunno: i hate wiring! :banghead:

12V
01-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Check your remote wire, or just jump power to it with a test light or short wire.

ramminghard
01-28-2003, 01:24 AM
make sure the ground is on bare metal. Painted isn't good.

eur0
01-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
make sure the ground is on bare metal. Painted isn't good.

uhoh

rayray
01-28-2003, 02:35 AM
check your ground wire. like mentioned... it should be on bare metal... not on painted metal. take some sand paper and go to work.

also... depending on the size of your amp... you should have at least a 4 guage (8 at the very least) for your ground wire. and it should be less than a foot long. the shorter the better.

-rayray

boi-alien
01-28-2003, 03:09 AM
check the ground wire... if it's off then make sure it's grounded to bare metal. if that doesn't fix it check the remote wire make sure that it's getting triggered and then if tha tdon't help your amp is done

eur0
01-28-2003, 03:22 AM
alright thnx guys, ill double check the ground wire tommorow and let you know how it goes, its an 8 gauge ground wire but its on painted metal, i never had a problem for a few months though so i dunno

bol
01-28-2003, 10:16 AM
If all of the suggestions here don't do anything or shed any new light on what the problem is, the amp is probably fried.

del-lude
01-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by tbk49
haha well shit, i think i had a surge because at the same time when my sub went so did my daytime running lights, i replaced the daytime running light fuse but that doesnt work either :dunno: i hate wiring! :banghead:

if one of your fuses blew then most likely you have a short somewhere and possibly damaged your amp when the short occurred. Check your remote and power wire and see if there are any cuts in the insulator that may be shorting to the body of your car (bare metal). A loose ground wire isn't gonna blow any fuses.