PDA

View Full Version : A Good ExpressVu Installer

gongSHOW
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
So the normal ExpressVu installer came yesterday, but he wanted to install everything by running a long wire outside the house and refused the switches in the attic. Does anyone know a place in Calgary that would put it in the attic, or does a good job?

r_toor2002
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Yo....I will buy both your shaw boxes in cash at your asking price. can you either contact me via email at [email protected]. I will arrange for a friend of mine to pick up and pay u for the shaw boxes and he will ship them to me in vancouver. I am trying to switch from bell to shaw. I also have 3 receivers, a multi switch..that enables you to connnect 4-6 receivers in one house. All is brand new and im trying to get rid of it all. I paid 450 selling for 300. switch alone was 200. All with no contract to sign.

I did the installation myself..so let me know if i can help and please reply back regarding the shaw boxes.

rage2
07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? Gimme some more details and I'll give you some suggestions.

How many recievers, what kinda receivers, what kinda dish (91 only or 82 and 91), what existing RG6 wiring u have in your house, what entry points to the house, etc.

r_toor2002
07-29-2005, 04:37 PM
yes!..the 3 receivers are model 3100 and the dish has 2 lnb's (91 and 82). multi switch is SW-44. I am trying to get rid of them asap. price for all is 300 and has no contract!

I just got it last week and realized have to drill holes through the walls for wiring...right now the wires are comming thru windows and this is a security threat and just temporary.

rage2
07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
dude am I on crack, or are you posting in the wrong thread???

I'm trying to help gongshow out with his wiring, and you're trying to buy some shaw boxes and sell some expressvu receivers? :dunno:

gongSHOW
07-30-2005, 12:28 AM
sorry, i got the HD ExpressVu dish, so basically the Dish 500 (91 and 82). I have a 9220 (HD PVR Plus), a 6120 (normal HD) and three 3120s. The 3120s are on the top floor in three different rooms. the 9220 is on the main floor and the 6120 is in the basement. Basically the guy who came to install it was going to put the Dish on the roof, have the four wires going from the Dish across the roof going down the house and then to the Shaw Cable Box at the edge of my drive way. I guess he would be putting the switch there as well but he never really cleared that up.
Rather then going that route and having a wire exposed going across my roof and then down the side of my house, i was hoping there could be someone who could drill into my roof into my attic and then drop wires or some how get wires going to the receivers throughout my house and not usethe Shaw outlets as some would still need to be functional for Internet as well as Digital phone.

Any help is appreciated, I'm going on vacation and will likely phone around once i get back and see if any installers can do this. I'm willing to pay the extra money if I can get this done right.....

rage2
07-31-2005, 10:02 AM
That's way too complex, and tons of unneccessary wiring. RG6 ports can be split into "cable" and "satellite" by using diplexers. I purchased a huge lot of these to split/combine my cable signal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5792438184

Basically, it goes:

Sat --\ /--Sat
Diplexer--(combined cable+sat)--Diplexer
Cable--/ \--Cable

Cable runs off different freq than satellite (which also uses power for switch control, transponder selection etc), so it doesn't conflict with 1 way or 2 way such as cable modem, digital cable boxes, digital phone, etc. So, follow the bell installer's advice, then either wire up the diplexers yourself, or have him do it. Remember, you need 2 diplexers for each line, one on each end to split and combine the signal.

Also, with the 9200, 6100 and 3 x 3100's, you'll need 6 ports. So you'll need to get a 2nd SW44, and run the trunking plugs from the first SW44.

Now, the 9200 needs 2 ports, so if you don't have 2 RG6 ports to the room, then you'll need to upgrade to DPP equipment. Not officially supported by Bell Expressvu, but it works great. With DPP, you would get a DPP44 switch (DishProPlus) as well as DPP LNBs, route port 4 of the DPP44 to the 9200, and use a DPP separator to convert that single RG6 DPP signal to 2 RG6 satellite signals. It's a pretty pimp setup, allowing 2 independant satellite signals (up to 4 orbital locations!) on 1 single RG6! Saves a LOT of wiring. Ports 1-3 would connect to your 6100, and 2 x 3100's. The final 3100 would get it's signal from a second DPP44 switch, and fed with the trunking ports off the first DPP44 switch.

Confused? If so lemme know what you're confused about and I'll try to answer.

Oh, one final note. The DPP44 switches are very cable sensitive, so you MUST run RG6 everywhere, including from the LNB's to the switches. The installer should take care of that anyways so it's not a big deal, but if you're doing your own final connections or diplexer setups then you have to make sure you buy RG6 cables for the short runs. The SW44 is not as bad, I run RG59 on short segments such as off the diplexers without any problems.