PDA

View Full Version : Got mileage?? 1247kms on a tank...and still going

nismodrifter
07-29-2005, 02:17 PM
So..this is for the diesel haters around the world :D :

2 weeks ago we made a trip out to Kelowna using 2 TDI's (the black Jetta that I drive..and my dads 00' TDI Jetta).
Both cars were full to capacity: 5 people in each vehicle, trunks loaded to the TIP with luggage. Just to give you an idea of how much was in the car....I was tuckin wheel in the rear like a mofo.

Both cars were filled up at Gas King down in Midnapore. I "vented" both of them (venting allows you to fill the tank to MAX capacity..gets rid of the air pocket at the top of the tank) so it came to around ~50ish liters of diesel in each car.

Aight, the drive begins, there was a ton of traffic on Highway 1 so average speed on the trip to Kelowna was 120ish km/h.
Distance to Kelowna is like 600 something kms.
Made it there with a little more than a half tank left in both of the cars.
Spent 2 days there and the time came to come home.
This time, the trunks were empty, 2 people in one car and me alone in the other (relatives had been dropped off at family's house in Kelowna).
Average speed on the way home was quite decent...I'd say around ~130-140ish kms an hour, there was little to no traffic so the only thing holding us back was fear of police which there was tons of. We didn't drive slow by any means...kept a real fast pace and ripped through some sections at some nice speeds.

Made it to Banff and the fuel needle had JUST hit the redline in the Black Jetta. My brother who was driving my dads silver Jetta still had a little bit of space left before hitting red.
Last stop to fill up before the Petro Canada is the Husky at Dead Mans flat....I decide (very nervously) to keep going and forget about filling it up ahhaa.
So a couple minutes past the Husky the fuel light comes on...beep..I think SHAT, will I make it to the Petro?? I have no idea what the reserve capacity is. This was at 1147kms.

I was shittin my pants the whole way..if I run out its going to be a pain in the buttocks to get it started again (believe me..you DO NOT want to run out of fuel in a diesel..daaamn that is not fun). I make it to the Petro Canada station with 1169kms on the trip meter. Probably could have gone further (I've heard of people getting 80kms on the reserve) but I didn't want to risk it as it was 12 at night.
Black Jetta: 1169kms before fillup
Silver Jetta: STILL GOING!!! No fillup at Petro.

So we made it home and checked the trip meter on the Silver 00 TDI Jetta...its at 1247kms!!!! and still the fuel light has NOT come on!!! Crazyness. Yes its pure highway driving but damn I was impressed, its the first time that we've gotten over the 1k mark.

Moral of the story: Diesel > you.

lastprodigy
07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
psh whatever 675 on 44 litres of gas aint bad at the price of now ugly smoke and stank :poosie:

USED
07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
That's pretty good, ~59mi/g!:eek:

QuasarCav
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Damn!!

Those commercials were not lying.

Is this the best they can do? What is stopping diesels from reaching 1500+ a tank? I'm not hating, just wondering what the next big innovation will be.

GQBalla
07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
hehe thanks crazy mileage!!!

question: how do you vent the gas tank???

EK 2.0
07-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I call B.S. hahaha

I think your Odo is off Nav...I want to see pics, no wait you can porlly chop those to read what you want us to see...haha...

statick
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
:eek: crazy gas mileage, i wish had that considering the increasing gas costs.

nismodrifter
07-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
hehe thanks crazy mileage!!!

question: how do you vent the gas tank???

easy as hell, when filling there is a little switch on the left side of the opening, push down on it using the circular opening of the nozzle and you'll hear a PSHHHHHH sound of air...keep on filling while pressing this down :)

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-2.html#m

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 06:16 PM
wow thats crazy!! hoe much do base TDI's go for anyway, i need to replace my daily driver

Kirbs17
07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow, thats awesome. Even non-diesel jetta's get amazing gas mileage. I pushed 675 kms out of my 49 litre tank (all highway)

fast95pony
07-29-2005, 09:30 PM
You were speeding in the National Parks ??

7thgenvic
07-29-2005, 10:01 PM
thatssss crazyyy, the best i've ever got outta my civic was 695km when the gas light came on! and that was all highway.

A2VR6
07-30-2005, 03:09 AM
Wow thats pretty good! :thumbsup: and thats going at a good rate of speed too! I wonder how far you can go if you drive at a slower average speed like around 100 km/h... wow

Fluidic
07-30-2005, 03:16 AM
TDI's own. Extremely efficient! :)

Maxt
07-30-2005, 06:52 AM
The only saving grace of the POS mercedes/dodge I drive is the mileage, 1200 km's on about 65 bucks worth of diesel..Incredieble mileage for such a large vehicle.. To bad the rest of the vehicle sucks ass..

Phuqu
08-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
What is stopping diesels from reaching 1500+ a tank?

The smaller tank is.

achca
08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
WOW that's pretty good i will think about the diesel for my next car:thumbsup:

dino_martini
08-02-2005, 11:45 PM
WOW that is freaking amazing mileage, and at the rate of speed you were going. :eek:

Ekliptix
08-02-2005, 11:56 PM
That is awesome!!

Although I just got 32mpg from Golden to Sicamous in the Mustang.

bennyhanna
08-11-2005, 12:08 PM
The celica

from vancouver to calgary(100% hwy)
got
1006 KMs
took 48litres to fill up
4.7 L/100 km
or
59.0 MPG

Just recently
got
720kms (fuel light just on, 60% hwy)
44 to fill
6.1 L/100 km
or
46.1 MPG

dreamchaser
08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by statick
:eek: crazy gas mileage, i wish had that considering the increasing gas costs.

Its diesel Mileage , not gas mileage

QuasarCav
08-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by bennyhanna
The celica

from vancouver to calgary(100% hwy)
got
1006 KMs
took 48litres to fill up
4.7 L/100 km
or
59.0 MPG

Just recently
got
720kms (fuel light just on, 60% hwy)
44 to fill
6.1 L/100 km
or
46.1 MPG

:bullshit:

60MPG on a Celica? Who was pushing?

viffer
08-11-2005, 12:48 PM

no shit, maybe he turned the car off going down the big hills? :rolleyes:

OrderedCHAOS
08-11-2005, 01:32 PM

Seems possible if driving very conservative. I pushed over 50MPG Canadian, 5.5L/100km driving to Nelson BC with the same engine but in a Corolla. I drove mine hard up the Salmo-Creston pass and decently fast on the straight highway. If I kept my left foot out of it, would have been a lot better.

QuasarCav
08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS

Seems possible if driving very conservative. I pushed over 50MPG Canadian, 5.5L/100km driving to Nelson BC with the same engine but in a Corolla. I drove mine hard up the Salmo-Creston pass and decently fast on the straight highway. If I kept my left foot out of it, would have been a lot better.

Most hybrids could not pull that off, let alone going up mountain passes.

The 1.6 in my old integra was in great shape and the best I could do was 7/100, even in my new integra 40MPG is about the tops.

OrderedCHAOS
08-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Most hybrids could not pull that off, let alone going up mountain passes.

The 1.6 in my old integra was in great shape and the best I could do was 7/100, even in my new integra 40MPG is about the tops.

Hybrids are garbage for highway driving and are only decent in the city. On a big hill, it would sap the battery dry quickly and then has to rely on it's tiny gas engine to power heavy car. Nice. Notice how the city mileage is better than the highway?

Integra is tuned for top end performance and no torque down in the revs, the Corolla is not. The Corolla is 2,500ish lbs , 130HP, 125 ft-lb, 1.8L DOHC with continuous variable timing via camshaft phasing, where Honda usually only has the on-off VTEC system until recently.

It can be done, did it several times. The mileage adversited by the EPA and Toyota is better that what I achieved. City mileage is way off though, I get about 7.8L/100kms in the city, but that's because of my driving style and not the car.

QuasarCav
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS

Hybrids are garbage for highway driving and are only decent in the city. On a big hill, it would sap the battery dry quickly and then has to rely on it's tiny gas engine to power heavy car. Nice. Notice how the city mileage is better than the highway?

Integra is tuned for top end performance and no torque down in the revs, the Corolla is not. The Corolla is 2,500ish lbs , 130HP, 125 ft-lb, 1.8L DOHC with continuous variable timing via camshaft phasing, where Honda usually only has the on-off VTEC system until recently.

It can be done, did it several times. The mileage adversited by the EPA and Toyota is better that what I achieved. City mileage is way off though, I get about 7.8L/100kms in the city, but that's because of my driving style and not the car.

The B18 in the older integras is known as the "torquey" honda engine. It makes some good torque (for a Honda!) around 3-5500rpms.

The specs are nearly identical, 140hp/126lb-ft, 2600 lbs, 1.8 DOHC, No VTEC, 5spd.

I understand that hybrids are better suited for city driving where the electric motor can be of more use. Still a 1.5 engine is going to use less fuel that a Corolla.

Let's compromise, the 60 MPG figure is way too much. I would say the high 40's is more realistic.

snowboard
08-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Mayland Heights To Chestermere and back. 3/4 tank of gas in my camaro.

when i got home just over empty. and thats premium gas. now thats some rad milage :D

ElPietro
08-15-2005, 09:55 AM
This article might be of interest to some of you comparing fuel economy.

Seems like there are a few cars right up there, with regular gas instead of diesel as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/50-litre.htm

nismodrifter
08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
bah...they ran them till they ran out heheh...could have added another 80-100k to my number if I did that ahaa.
The Civic did pretty good!

So is anyone on here planning on making the switch to diesel anytime soon???

ElPietro
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
True enough.

On a related note, do you guys really think gas prices can keep the way they've been?

It's always been thought that demand for gas is relatively inelastic, however, I'm guessing it's getting to the point now, where most folks that wouldn't have considered hybrids, or compact cars, are giving it serious thought over bigger V6 or V8s.

If more and more people start getting 700+ to a tank, then there are gonna be a whole lot less people hitting the pumps.

Can they sustain this, or keep raising the price to compensate? Or do they lower it before they have no other alternative?

You can consider as well, that the hybrid market is getting set to take off, with Hybrid SUVs and even pickup trucks. So now the traditional gas guzzlers, will not require as much fuel as well. With more models, there will be more competition, which means prices on hybrids will probably become more affordable, and a viable option as an entry level auto.

Sorry if this would be hijacking your thread, your VW rocks! :D

OrderedCHAOS
08-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
This article might be of interest to some of you comparing fuel economy.

Seems like there are a few cars right up there, with regular gas instead of diesel as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/50-litre.htm

Cool article. Pretty much concides with the experience I had with my Corolla getting 5.5L/100kms on the highways as I previously mentioned, but got doubted.

JAYMEZ
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
This reminds me of the top gear show where he drives the Audi from London to Edinburugh (sp) and back.. 800mi each way... Crazy TDis , I need to get me one!

Khyron
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
"vented" both of them (venting allows you to fill the tank to MAX capacity..gets rid of the air pocket at the top of the tank) so it came to around ~50ish liters of diesel in each car.

Bah u puss, our cars have 55L tanks. You could have gone even farther!

I got 694kms on 53L - didn't have the balls to push any farther.

BTW anyone doing MPG calcs, use only American gallons (smaller) as that's the only unit allowed for mpg. Ie (Kms/L *2.352) .

The guy above who got 60+ with his celica used imperial. The correct mpg would be 49mpg which is still amazingly good. That CD article made the same mistake to inflate the numbers.

Khyron

old&slow
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
True enough.

On a related note, do you guys really think gas prices can keep the way they've been?

It's always been thought that demand for gas is relatively inelastic, however, I'm guessing it's getting to the point now, where most folks that wouldn't have considered hybrids, or compact cars, are giving it serious thought over bigger V6 or V8s.

If more and more people start getting 700+ to a tank, then there are gonna be a whole lot less people hitting the pumps.

Can they sustain this, or keep raising the price to compensate? Or do they lower it before they have no other alternative?

You can consider as well, that the hybrid market is getting set to take off, with Hybrid SUVs and even pickup trucks. So now the traditional gas guzzlers, will not require as much fuel as well. With more models, there will be more competition, which means prices on hybrids will probably become more affordable, and a viable option as an entry level auto.

:D

I think the high prices are here to stay!
For reasons other than what we hear about.
Both the Oil companies and the goverment pocket near the same per litre. 43% Oil folks and 38% taxes.
Once we become accustomed to the higher cost and people saying things like "it's not as much when inflation is considered" neither the Oil companies nor the govverment
will want to give up all those extra dollars.
So in the end we are fucked!

ehos
08-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I hope oil hits 100/barrel (G&S Estimate).

Need my stocks to go parabolic.