PDA

View Full Version : unknown sensor

chris
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
on my ca there's a sensor on the intake side of the block, to the top left of the oil filter, it's the green thing, my buddy kind of snapped the pin.

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 02:54 PM
oil pressure sensor, or oil temp sensor

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
err edit nvm looks like the water temp sensor

dymz999
07-29-2005, 02:57 PM
That is the knock sensor. Your oil temp sensor looks to be the thing to the left of that picture. That looks like the proper sending unit. This looks like a knock sensor though.

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by dymz999
That is the knock sensor. Your oil temp sensor looks to be the thing to the left of that picture. That looks like the proper sending unit. This looks like a knock sensor though. that is definitly not a knock sensor, i have never seen a knock senor taped into the block like that, besides its obvious that its reading the coolant temp from the water jacket..

knock sensors are mearly placed on the block at a point of high rigidity wich allows any knock instance to be "heard" more clearly

dymz999
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Sorry subaru logo? do you know anything about nissans? my guess is no.

Water temp sensors are usually in the housing right after the thermostat not in the block where they will get inacurate readings. The only thing that would be coming out of the block would be an oil pressure sensor or a knock sensor. I can se the oil pressure sensor the left, well the sending unit for it.

Also the coolant temp sensors are WAAAAAY smaller than that. Now please go away...

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Sorry subaru logo? do you know anything about nissans? my guess is no.

Water temp sensors are usually in the housing right after the thermostat not in the block where they will get inacurate readings. The only thing that would be coming out of the block would be an oil pressure sensor or a knock sensor. I can se the oil pressure sensor the left, well the sending unit for it.

Also the coolant temp sensors are WAAAAAY smaller than that. Now please go away...

you are correct, about the temp sensor.. i wasnt thinkin on that one, nissan since the early 90's though has been using non tapped external type knock sensors, it was american cars that were using the tapped ones, a quick google glance did school me on that, before you had a chance to throw in your smart alleck remark

beside it would really help if you told us what engine this was on
and what you see on the left is an oil tap not a sensor at all wich probably leads to a cooler or the filter or some other oil accesory

chris
07-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

you are correct, about the temp sensor.. i wasnt thinkin on that one, nissan since the early 90's though has been using non tapped external type knock sensors, it was american cars that were using the tapped ones, a quick google glance did school me on that, before you had a chance to throw in your smart alleck remark

beside it would really help if you told us what engine this was on
and what you see on the left is an oil tap not a sensor at all wich probably leads to a cooler or the filter or some other oil accesory
maybe if you read my first post you would see that it's on a ca

chris
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
do you think i should replace it or just leave it as is?

dymz999
07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
where did you snap it? or is it just bent? if it is severe enough take the part number off of it, if you can see it and call courtesy nissan.

chris
07-29-2005, 03:31 PM
it was bent, and then my buddy decided to bend it back and he snapped it

dymz999
07-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Be safe and order a new one.

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
if its a knock sensor the part # is F6020-152056 and they cost about 80 bucks

if its the oil sending unit the part # is P4030-108898

and they cost about 20 dollars..

from the pics ive seen it looks to be the oil pressure sending unit

dymz999
07-29-2005, 03:56 PM
do me a favour and take a picture of that thing to the left of the picture. it looks like the oil sending unit. nissand doesn't have stuff that just threads into a block.

chris
07-29-2005, 04:01 PM
here, the part number on it is different from the 2 listed above

dymz999
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Call courtesy nissan with that number. The thing to the left is 100% for sure the oil pressure sensor. It can't be the coolant temp sensor since oem nissan temp sensors are located side by side. one for the gauge cluster and one for the ecu. call nissan to verify.

Boost Infested
07-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Are u not able to find CA FMS(factory service manual) pdf online?

chris
07-29-2005, 04:14 PM
i have it, but i cant find wat sensor it is

chris
07-29-2005, 04:24 PM
it is a knock sensor

Boost Infested
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by chris
it is a knock sensor

whos right now dymz999? :rofl:

i think u owe Rick an apology... :D

chris
07-29-2005, 06:13 PM
fucking 200 bucks because of my friend's stupidity.... great. ANybody know of any cheaper solutions to this problem?

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested

whos right now dymz999? :rofl:

i think u owe Rick an apology... :D

ugh other way arround.. and he doest get an apology cuz he was the one being an ass

mabey ive been working on engine that are too recent as this is the first time I see a knock sensor like that?

but yeah the part numbers i gave you are of the CA18DE non turbo, IE the Pulsar NX GE i think it was, go to partsource and have them look that up, from what i was reading the Oil sending unit and the Knock sensor are interchangable, or you can go to and online store and buy it from there

google the part # i posted and a few places will pop up

Boost Infested
07-29-2005, 06:25 PM
are u a partsman at a nissan dealer Ricky?

I've seen knock sensor in manifolds or in blocks.

:closed:

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
http://www.ignition-system.com/nissan-pulsar-engine_electrical-f6020_152056ats.html

http://shop.nissanpartstore.com/?make=NI&year=1990

take your pic

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
are u a partsman at a nissan dealer Ricky?

I've seen knock sensor in manifolds or in blocks.

:closed:

well knock sensors are always on the block, i have just never seen them taped into the block like that,

I've worked on a few differnt cars, nissans included in my day and they have all been external microphone types.

and I used to work at nissan dont currently

Boost Infested
07-29-2005, 06:31 PM
on the 2.2/2.5 dodges are on the intake manifold, not sure why they put it there... instead of in the block..

RickDaTuner
07-29-2005, 07:08 PM
first time for that too, i guess they must have put it there clear up the knock and get rid of some noise?

like they say

you learn something new everyday

chris
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
first time for that too, i guess they must have put it there clear up the knock and get rid of some noise?

like they say

you learn something new everyday
thanks for the help rick, you've been very informative, guess i wont be out 200 bucks, hopefully a partsource in the city has one in stock so i can put the head back on before i go away. As for the head gasket, man was that ever screwed up, it had like a cm wide and a two centimeter long wide tear in it.

dymz999
07-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Rick I wasn't being an ass, just dont give people advice when you don't know the familiarites of the engine he is talking about. I've been messing around with these type of nissan engines for 4 or 5 years now and know a lot of information when it comes to them :)

Inthered
08-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Rick I wasn't being an ass, just dont give people advice when you don't know the familiarites of the engine he is talking about. I've been messing around with these type of nissan engines for 4 or 5 years now and know a lot of information when it comes to them :)

Get off your high horse and contribute to a frikken thread for once. Don't start giving people shit because "you" think you're right, since you say you have 4-5 years of experience on these engines. Now go out into your garage and try to fix your car for the meet next week.

Boost Infested
08-01-2005, 02:38 AM
:rofl:

dymz999
08-01-2005, 08:52 AM
LOL your pretty funny. I've had my engine half apart this week fixing every sensor under the sun since my ecu was throwing multiple cel codes. The issue i'm having is not exactly an easy one. The car will drive perfectly until it starts making boost. Hell in neutral you can rev the shit out of the engine and it'll be perfect. I've gotten it down to the point when i'm pretty sure its fuel related, either FPR or the pump. This is not something simple, the entire system shorted out causing a few sensors and relays to get taken out. Ya re-wiring the harness and fuses was a lot of fun.

Inthered
08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, sometimes I am.:rofl: Good luck with the problem nonetheless.