PDA

View Full Version : JDM What and Why??

digi355
07-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Can someone tell me what this is and why there is so much hate/ love for it on here?

7thgenvic
07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
GODDD< this should get shut down right away before the flame war begins............

digi355
07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Not trying to start a flame war. I just want to know what it is.

JordanEG6
07-30-2005, 01:35 PM
stands for Japanese Domestic Market. meaning vehicles or automotive parts (original or aftermarket) that are made in or only available in japan.

car enthusiests that are into the 'jdm' aspect of the import scene are usually the GO crowd. finding rare jdm parts is like finding GOLD to some people...like me. :rofl: so much love for it 'cause most jdm parts are hard to find and usually are expensive. many parts such as HKS japan, mugen, spoon, endless japan, advan etc. give the car either 'top of the line' performance or 'baller status'. lol

so much hate because people find lots of jdm parts over priced (mugen and spoon etc.) and usually hated by the show crowd because they'd rather buy 18" chrome rims instead of 'ugly' 15" spoon sw388s. and hate on it because such ugly rims can turn so many heads. :rofl:

Talies R
07-30-2005, 01:38 PM
where have you been for the last 5 years?:zzz:

digi355
07-30-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks, thats all i wanted to know. Mods can close before the flamming begins.

EK 2.0
07-30-2005, 02:16 PM
No, no...I wanna see a lil flaming...haha...

I don't think this thread will turn into anything bad...but I will stand corrected if it does...

to boil down what Jordan had said...the JDM theme is usually a quest for a cleaner, sharper looking and better preforming ride.

BUT that is all subjective, and you should mod how you want to.

88CRX
07-30-2005, 02:20 PM
i like jdm rice :D

1-Bar
07-30-2005, 02:57 PM
I like JDM parts (the big names) because they are reliable and very good quality products. A lot of people hate (previously stated) because they find it 'overpriced' and maybe perhaps because its what's 'in' and want to stray for the norm.

I myself would/have purchased JDM parts for a lot more then what a different company would charge ie. wheels, but I have always stood by my decision, less headaches later on. Show me another company apart from Mugen that will get me the same fit in lets say a bodykit and I wouldn't mind buying it (if the look is right)....

But I guess it boils down to taste....if you like it buy it, don't rock something because its a 'name brand'

TypeS
07-30-2005, 03:06 PM
well when it comes to JDM cars, i think the one thing that caught my attention most was the uniqueness of a RHD car. It turns as many heads as a ferrari and they come with low km's and minimal to no rust! plus the japanese are WAAAYYY more in to the "go" scene than we are. *ehem* many MANY less civics over there with really gross white/red interiors and clear tailights.:barf:

EK 2.0
07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
well when it comes to JDM cars, i think the one thing that caught my attention most was the uniqueness of a RHD car. It turns as many heads as a ferrari and they come with low km's and minimal to no rust! plus the japanese are WAAAYYY more in to the &quot;go&quot; scene than we are. *ehem* many MANY less civics over there with really gross white/red interiors and clear tailights.:barf:

I have a wite civic with a red interior...and it's JDM...:)

uniqueness of a RHD huh??:rolleyes: I much prefer Boost Infested's S13 than any RHD one out there...

A790
07-30-2005, 03:14 PM
True enough.

JDM is usually about speed. Though, what some people consider JDM really isn't...

962 kid
07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
well when it comes to JDM cars, i think the one thing that caught my attention most was the uniqueness of a RHD car. It turns as many heads as a ferrari and they come with low km's and minimal to no rust! plus the japanese are WAAAYYY more in to the &quot;go&quot; scene than we are. *ehem* many MANY less civics over there with really gross white/red interiors and clear tailights.:barf:

If you think a JDM car attracts more attention than a ferrari, you've obviously never ridden in one... and since when did any civic with cosmetic mods become a JDM poseur? Since when did having a white civic with a JDM interior make it JDM?

Originally posted by A790
True enough.

JDM is usually about speed. Though, what some people consider JDM really isn't...

yeah, cause the japanese government loves their cars to be fast :rolleyes: those stickers around the key hole and speed buzzers must definitely be for speed. and also, putting hp limits on them is the final word in true powa!

Lorne@UrbanX
07-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by A790
True enough.

I dont know how JDM can be interpreted into speed? Theres many subcultures in the whole Japanese car industry, Drift vehicles, VIP tuning cars, Drag racing, circuit cars, JGTC the list could go on,

shadowz
07-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by sho&amp;go CRX

I dont know how JDM can be interpreted into speed? Theres many subcultures in the whole Japanese car industry, Drift vehicles, VIP tuning cars, Drag racing, circuit cars, JGTC the list could go on,

exactly example this car uses various jdm parts its fast and looks good

http://aj-racing.com/sk/ajrdc2/DSCN3305.JPG

topher91
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I bought a JDM car cuz of its uniqueness. Though there are quite a few JDM RHD s13's, its still pretty rare. The styling of my s13 coupe IMO is beautiful :love: and as a bonus the car was fast too as they previous owner had done some upgrades done to the car that I wouln't have bothered to spend my effort to do.

Right now, with this Silvia I have, I was able to scratch off my list of having one of my dream cars........

Now to finish off the list....... :banghead:

Chris

schurchill39
07-30-2005, 04:50 PM
(*Mods: why not just make a "search" emoticon.)
I am sure this guy coulda figured out what JDM ment if he read any 2 threads that mentioned it or just typed it in google.

S13 pwnz

calgarys13
07-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

If you think a JDM car attracts more attention than a ferrari, you've obviously never ridden in one...

this is true in certain occasions a month ago i was driving down crowchild beside a 328 gts on my left and an SUV with a family in it in the far left lane..we pulled up to a light and the guy in the suv started talking to me overtop of the ferrari...needless to say i laughed pretty hard after seeing the look on the ferraris guys face after getting totally looked over by a 5000 car..ownage

Originally posted by 962 kid

yeah, cause the japanese government loves their cars to be fast :rolleyes: those stickers around the key hole and speed buzzers must definitely be for speed. and also, putting hp limits on them is the final word in true powa!

the speed beep is just to tell you your going over 100kmph as this is the highest speed limit in japan..just another wierd gizmo on these cars...as for stickers on the keyholes i have no idea what your talking about..and yes the power limit is 276 but yet most manufacturers understated the power of the cars...a stock gtr can beat up on a lotta stuff so whats the use of making any more power from the factory

A790
07-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by sho&amp;go CRX

What I meant is that a lot of what people in North America call "JDM" really has nothing to do with JDM at all.

962 kid
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13

this is true in certain occasions a month ago i was driving down crowchild beside a 328 gts on my left and an SUV with a family in it in the far left lane..we pulled up to a light and the guy in the suv started talking to me overtop of the ferrari...needless to say i laughed pretty hard after seeing the look on the ferraris guys face after getting totally looked over by a 5000 car..ownage

So? one family overlooked an old ferrari for your car, its not like you rolled up next to a 360...

the speed beep is just to tell you your going over 100kmph as this is the highest speed limit in japan..just another wierd gizmo on these cars...as for stickers on the keyholes i have no idea what your talking about..and yes the power limit is 276 but yet most manufacturers understated the power of the cars...a stock gtr can beat up on a lotta stuff so whats the use of making any more power from the factory

ok, so lets see. Japan has a maximum speed limit and requires buzzers to let you know when you reach that speed, they govern the max output of cars etc etc and you think that JDM = speed?

calgarys13
07-30-2005, 09:31 PM
im not saying every japanese car is stupid fast..im just saying that japan has produced quite a few super cars and for them to be labeled slow is stupid

962 kid
07-30-2005, 09:34 PM
im not saying every japanese car is stupid fast..im just saying that japan has produced quite a few super cars and for them to be labeled slow is stupid

since when did supercars have 4 seats and less than 300hp? :dunno: they've made some great cars sure, but they're definitely not 'supercars'

calgarys13
07-30-2005, 09:38 PM
just because they're rated at 280 doesn't mean they have 280..some of these cars could compete with the supercars of today and not cost a fortune...id prefer that anyday

EK 2.0
07-30-2005, 09:39 PM

"What's retail on ones of those?..."

In this case I would have to agree with what 962 Kid said. It was a 328 (most people wouldn't even know its a Ferrari). If it was a 360, 430, 550, F50, F40, F355...I am sure your 5 G's worth of JDM-ness would have been nothing more than another car...

And Japan, as far back as I can remember hasnt produced a "Supercar" by definition. World renowned Sports and GT Cars yes, but Supercars by no means...

BUT, we are getting off of the original topic.

Skyline_Addict
07-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
...the JDM theme is usually a quest for a cleaner, sharper looking and better preforming ride.

exactly.

88CRX
07-30-2005, 10:35 PM
:rofl: the jdm threads never last on an message board.... so much hate

finboy
07-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
:rofl: the jdm threads never last on an message board.... so much hate
only thing you can do is mod your car the way you like it, and not give a fuck if people hate, because there always will :thumbsup:

calgarys13
07-31-2005, 12:30 AM
^werd

n1zm0
07-31-2005, 01:00 PM
i think Jdm is usually more about efficiency/functionality, the parts always have little things that make the product that much better.
But you do your cars mods how you want, everyone has their own style :thumbsup:

popoykid_jdm
07-31-2005, 01:33 PM
here' check out the site below

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1510

n1zm0
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
if ur saying DZ suspension (http://www.dropzonesuspension.com/) is JDM, i don't think they are..

Primer_Drift
07-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i think Jdm is usually more about efficiency/functionality, the parts always have little things that make the product that much better.:

In a way it definetly can be about efficiency/functionality when buying JDM parts.. However there is a huge demand for merely cosmetic parts, that offer very little in that department. It becomes a grey area between form and function, but that is what makes JDM so popular IMO. You can get away with "rice" as long as it is Japanese rice.. and no one is the wiser ;)

PS. I have high effieciency JDM floormats for my crx del sol :rofl:

Phuqu
08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
JDM Yo!

Seanith
08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
if ur saying DZ suspension (http://www.dropzonesuspension.com/) is JDM, i don't think they are..

Please don't even hint at such a statement :rofl: