PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a Ducati here?

Buster
07-31-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new Ducati Monster, but the insurance rates have given me pause.

$1200 - $1600 seems a little excessive...or am I wrong?

Does anyone else own one of these? Which insurance co. is most fair for these exotics?

I know this is a car site...but it's the first place in Calgary I thought of to get some insight.

Thanks,

A_3
07-31-2005, 06:30 PM
PM "anyone", he's got one for sale so i'm assuming he knows all the logistics of owning one.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=95529

shakalaka
07-31-2005, 06:31 PM
02 748R Superbike
AMA, only have full coverage of half a year. Summer months. Paying around $850. The price you have quoted sounds pretty fair to me. If its for full year and its with full coverage. It also depends on how old you are and experience if any.

Kobe
07-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Buster
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new Ducati Monster, but the insurance rates have given me pause.

$1200 - $1600 seems a little excessive...or am I wrong?

Does anyone else own one of these? Which insurance co. is most fair for these exotics?

I know this is a car site...but it's the first place in Calgary I thought of to get some insight.

Thanks,

First bike? how long have you been riding for... any accdients, tickets???? Etc...

Age? and you want full coverage right...

Buster
07-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Wow...gotta love Beyond...good community.

(When are you guys having track days again this year. I went to one Fuji had hosted a couple years back, but haven't kept up. Now that the 9-2X is here, I wanna see what lap times I can get. :) )

Not my first bike...been riding a few years. My Kawasaki KLR has been good to me, but I got into riding to get a Ducati. Period.

I have a clean driving record, 28 year old married guy.

I haven't done a ton of calling around...but I have hit the major companies: Meloche. Primmum. TD. Jevco.

I didn't know you could get full coverage for only half the year. That makes a lot of sense, really. AMA does bike insurance? As in the CAA people?

$850 seems reasonable. I think a lot of companies list 750 cc as the cut off point, so your 748 might be a bit cheaper than the M1000 I'm looking at (992 CC)...but the 748R is also a lot more bike in many ways.

That 2001 SS looks like a great deal...but I'm a monster guy.

shakalaka
07-31-2005, 06:49 PM
I am not too sure but I think, your insurance could be a lot cheaper then if you are 28 and with a clean record. I have a clean record but i am only 19. Half a year is the best thing to do, I mean its not that you can ride bikes in winter anyways. We got all our car insurances and house insurance from AMA/CAA as well and have been with them for over 5 years. So i am sure we get some advantage cauz of that as well. From what I have heard Meloche Monnex has one of the best prices out there. Since you are going for the bigger bike, that explains a lot about the higher insurance rate, and since Ducati's are expensive to fix, full coverage would be quite a bit.

Buster
07-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Might have to consider the baby monster...the 620.

I'll call CAA and see what they say. Most insurance companies I spoke with didn't even mention the possibility of only getting coverage for half the year. My understanding (probably erroneous) was that the price was basically the same for going with half a year. I'll have to check into it.

shakalaka
07-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Buster
Might have to consider the baby monster...the 620.

I'll call CAA and see what they say. Most insurance companies I spoke with didn't even mention the possibility of only getting coverage for half the year. My understanding (probably erroneous) was that the price was basically the same for going with half a year. I'll have to check into it.

Yes its quite possible that some insurance companies might not give full coverage for 6 months. But either way if you are going with a 1000CC then might as well be ready to pay higher insurance premiums. Also if you have 6 month insurance, and if anything happens to your bike in the rest of 6 months, i.e. gets stolen, or dropped or whatever. Its not their problem. Possibilities are quite less, but are still there.

Buster
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Interestingly (and perhaps luckily), the 1000 Monster is actually only 992 CC.

Most insurance companies have a 750 - 999 CC category, so I might be just in under the wire.

Off to find a 6 month insurance company. Winter storage isn't a problem, so I'm not too worried about the non-riding months.

Weapon_R
07-31-2005, 11:49 PM
That sounds pretty steep for bike insurance. Even though its a Ducati, I imagine you should continue to shop around. My friend has just insured his CBR 600 for 300 for the half year...

Buster
08-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Can you ask your friend where he insured it?

Originally posted by Weapon_R
That sounds pretty steep for bike insurance. Even though its a Ducati, I imagine you should continue to shop around. My friend has just insured his CBR 600 for 300 for the half year...

Weapon_R
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Sure can, ill get back to you today