PDA

View Full Version : VHQ Online

core_upt
07-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Has anyone signed up for VHQ Online???
Does it work as good as they claim? Any experiences?

For those who don't know, it's basically a subscrption service that allows you to have unlimited DVD's sent to you by mail, 3-5 at a time, for as long as you want for a monthly fee of $20-30. The fee covers any and all DVD rentals, plus shipping to you and back to them.

More info: vhqonline.ca

I think I'm going to sign up; I'll post my review once I'm in.

rio_rex
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I'v tried it before...its not as good as they claim it to be. I picked the 3 dvd at a time package for around 20 bucks. You make a list of movies ranking from your most favorite to least. Although u may think you can rent as much as u can....in reality with mailing time your limited to around 6 dvd's a month. Now if you rented from rogers or whatever that would come out to around 30 bucks.....but those would be movies you really wanted to see.
NOW the problem is they almost never send u the dvd's that are closest to your #1 ranking on your list. So u end up getting maby 1 or 2 of the 3 movies u really actually wanted to see and the 3rd one will just be there cause u had to order 3 at a time.

If your a real movie buff, and don't mind seeing a few movies that are "so-so", then its alright. But if your the kind of person that just wants to see the movie that u truly are intersted in, i'd say don't bother with VHQ and just rent them normally from blockbuster or rogers.

After this is said, u arn't saving any money with VHQ.....but with Netflix thats based in the states is where its at, as they have next day shipping on their dvd's, but unfortunatly they don't operate in canada. VHQ uses canada post which take a week to send back the dvd, and another week for u to get it back.

Gurpy
08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I was happy with zip.ca for the free trial period (I even went on for a month after that...then cancelled because it was a waste of money though) so i'd recommend them...huge selection..shipping times arent too horrific.

Xtrema
08-01-2005, 09:29 PM
By the way, rogersdirect which is the similar deal as the above is a total scam.

$25 claims to give you ulimited rental for the month but really is only 12 rentals. Above 12 copies, they start charging extra handling fees.

But really, there isn't any free lunches here with any of these services. All it saves you is the the gas$ going to/from the store or able to access hard to find titles (like Anime or Foreign films).

It's not a cheaper way to rent. Unlike US, we don't have enough population in Canada to make this system work.

natejj
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Alright, i work at VHQ...

It is a pretty good deal, IF you rent that many movies... to get your money's worth, you need to rent at least 6 a month... which is a lot for one person.... just come in twice a month and get the good movies! its only a real good deal if you are a pirate (like me) And burn every dvd you can get your hands onto.

yeerj
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I am currently using VHQ online and find it to be very good. I am on the 3 movie deal and generally receive about 3 movies per week on average.

The transit times are not what rio_rex stated. VHQ is located in Calgary so it takes one day for them to recieve the DVD that you send to them. However, it does take about 3 business days to recieve another DVD from the time VHQ receives yours.

So far I have had good luck with getting the choices that I desire. I have pretty much seen most of the new releases that Blockbuster or Rogers has.

Lukifer122
08-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, technically VHQ Online is based in Vancouver, and VHQ's head office is in Red Deer. How do I know this? I worked for VHQ for two years as technical support.

Nate, what store do you work in? I've probably met you before! :)

-Luke

yeerj
08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Well this is the shipping address for the DVD's

VHQ Online
P.O. Box 5804, Stn A
Calgary, AB
T2H 1Y3

rio_rex
08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by yeerj
I am currently using VHQ online and find it to be very good. I am on the 3 movie deal and generally receive about 3 movies per week on average.

The transit times are not what rio_rex stated. VHQ is located in Calgary so it takes one day for them to recieve the DVD that you send to them. However, it does take about 3 business days to recieve another DVD from the time VHQ receives yours.

So far I have had good luck with getting the choices that I desire. I have pretty much seen most of the new releases that Blockbuster or Rogers has.

When i was signed up with VHQ, my movies where being sent from B.C, i think coquitlum sp?, anyways somewhere near vancouver. This is prob why i had to wait so long for my movies in the mail.

natejj
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Lukifer122
Well, technically VHQ Online is based in Vancouver, and VHQ's head office is in Red Deer. How do I know this? I worked for VHQ for two years as technical support.

Nate, what store do you work in? I've probably met you before! :)

-Luke

I work in Westmarket... ive only been there for 3 weeks, probably havent :P