PDA

View Full Version : New York City Attractions

iamchris
07-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I'm going to NYC in 2 weeks. This is my 2nd time there. The 1st time I went to all the major tourist attractions such as Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc.

This time around I would like to visit some lesser known attractions. What do you suggest?

K271
07-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Depends on if you want to spend the cash or not. There's lots of free stuff in NYC during the summer but be prepared, NYC in August is going to be ridiculously hot. Here are my suggestions.

1. Check out a Yankees game at the Stadium even if you don't like baseball, the history of the place is worth the price of admission.

2. Republic Noodle House - Best eats for value in NYC, right in Union Square - 14th St.

3. Cloisters - Up in Washington Heights (185st of the A/C train) A bit of Europe in NYC. It's 4 acres of French Medieval art and architecture.

4. Sylvia's Queen of Soul Food Restaurant - Harlem (Lenox and 125) Great eats!

5. Frick Art Museum - 70th St. and 5th (on museum row) A collection of Danish Art. Maybe the best art museum in NYC.

6. Time Warner Building - Columbus Circle - There's a cool store called the Samsung Experience, they have Samsung Technology from all over the world that you can try. While you're in the Time Warner Building swing by Food Emporium down stairs and buy a pack of freshly baked sugar cookies... always worth a couple bucks.

If you want more info on things to do in NYC while you're there, buy TIME OUT magazine, it's a weekly mag that lists everything going on in town from sample sales, to restaurant openings, to specials at museums, and clubs.

TheXplosion
08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Rucker Park:eek: 155th street and 5th ave....

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Yeah when I went there I only had about 1 day so I had to see most of the main attractions. However some must do things are:

- visit the Bronx. I took a 4 hour tour of the Bronx trying to find the most ghetto parts of it. I had always heard so much crap about it but it was very eye-opening to see it in real life being the only white guy in the neighborhood.

- eat at a New York City Deli

- visit the church down by ground zero which somehow had no damage to it after 9/11 even though almost everything around it had been destroyed.

- take a walk down wall street

- visit Trump tower or at least the lobby, it's pretty much all brass and gold

- brooklyn bridge

- if I could go back and I went with a girlfriend I would spend an entire afternoon in Central Park. There is so much to see there.

- since I'm becoming a Calgary Firefighter I went to the New York City Fire Zone which is like a museum for the Fire Department, the whole job changed drastically after 9/11

Those are some more ideas, although I'm sure you could go to New York hundreds of times and still have more to see.

K271
08-11-2005, 07:15 AM
I live in NYC and haven't seen everything! Just shows you how much there is to see and do.

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by K271
I live in NYC and haven't seen everything! Just shows you how much there is to see and do.

Cool man where bouts do you live?

JAYMEZ
08-11-2005, 03:01 PM
eat at a New York City Deli

Thats a :thumbsup:

Check out ground zero , go to that apartment bar thats in the old train station , cant remember the damn name... Anyone?

Go shoppin at the cool malls...

Get drunk and go into the part of downtown where all the brown buildings are :rofl:

Brooklyn bridge...

sputnik
08-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Eat at this deli!

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

AWESOME sandwiches... and HUGE! Also, be prepared to wait in a LONG lineup before you get a seat.

K271
08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I live right in midtown manhattan, in the 50's. I'm 5 mins from everything! It's great.

Carnegie Deli is not worth the hype. They just give you a sandwich with 3 inches worth of meat. You line up a feel you're jipped. If you do decide to go there, avoid Sat. and Suns. Go on work days and you'll have no trouble, or between the hours of 8pm to 10pm because everyone is at a theatre show and the place is empty.

If you want a good sandwich, goto Say Cheeze on 46th St - 9th Ave.

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by K271
I live right in midtown manhattan, in the 50's. I'm 5 mins from everything! It's great.

Carnegie Deli is not worth the hype. They just give you a sandwich with 3 inches worth of meat. You line up a feel you're jipped. If you do decide to go there, avoid Sat. and Suns. Go on work days and you'll have no trouble, or between the hours of 8pm to 10pm because everyone is at a theatre show and the place is empty.

If you want a good sandwich, goto Say Cheeze on 46th St - 9th Ave.

Cool check your PM:thumbsup:

koopkoop2
08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
1.USS Intrepid - A decommissoned aircraft carrier that's been converted into a four level museum. The top deck has an SR-71 Blackbird.

2.NBC Studios

3.Rockefeller Plaza

4.Dave Letterman

5.See a Broadway Musical

6Visit P Diddy. I tried to visit him and got stopped the moment I walked in the door. It's funny cause he has a white guy for a secretary.

7.Ride the subway

8.United Nations