PDA

View Full Version : Disabling router firewall?

GucciBoy
07-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Is there any possible way? Opening ports, doing this and that is too much bloody trouble, and too confusing. I just want to be able to disable it when I download and turn it back on when im not. Simple as that.

eblend
07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
go into your router setting and set your computer to dmz and it will now have a direct connection to the internet with no firewall or anything holding you back, altough might want to disable that after your done with all your downloading

GucciBoy
07-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by eblend
go into your router setting and set your computer to dmz and it will now have a direct connection to the internet with no firewall or anything holding you back, altough might want to disable that after your done with all your downloading

did that, still nothinh

what i dont is, i had all the ports open and added the dmz into my router itself, but after reformatting the HD, it is all defaulted it seems. HD format should have nothing to do with router F/W, settings etc

old&slow
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Goto the routers manufacturer's site and read the faq,try a search for DMZ that sort of thing.
It's generally straight forward.
If your trying to get it to work with Bittorrent,or other p2p they also give support for that on their websites.
Not too hard normally!

kaput
08-01-2005, 03:12 PM

eblend
08-01-2005, 08:40 PM
you did disable the firewall thats build into windows xp right?

kaput
08-01-2005, 09:37 PM

koopkoop2
08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I have the same problem with my linksys router. Nothing I do lets anything open up. Forwarding and DMZ and all that is useless with this damn thing.

Are you sure those are your problems, then? Connect the cable modem directly to your computer and see what happens (If you haven't done so already).

Maybe there's a firewall built into your modem.

googe
08-02-2005, 01:57 AM
its not a firewall problem. its a problem with NAT (network address translation). disabling your firewalls will not only not fix this, but itll put you at unnecessary risk.

most software can deal with this though, especially if youre in a DMZ. what isnt working exactly?

sputnik
08-02-2005, 07:40 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Disabling the firewall is rarely necessary and is potentially risky.