PDA

View Full Version : First time biker...

Mo Squared
07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
I just want to buy a new motorbike and I'm thinking a cheaper less powerful one as I have NEVER rode one before. I've always wanted a bike and my dad had a couple but sold them a while ago. I would ask my dad but he would suggest a 79 Yamaha or something. If anyone has any suggestions for a bike and the average price range let me know and how hard is it to get your motorcycle licence? thanks guys.

blueripper6
07-31-2005, 11:37 PM
old honda!!! good reliable bikes.

Weapon_R
07-31-2005, 11:38 PM
2000ish Kawasaki Ninja 250 is a cheap, relatively late model bike you could learn on.

Dave P
07-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Get your licence www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com

Invest in some good gear.

Then shop for a bike

Mo Squared
08-01-2005, 01:42 AM
aight cool i think ima take some classes or whatever i need to and then get my licence and then think about the bike. Thanks alot for the input if anyone has ne more let me know it would be greatly appreciated

:thumbsup:

mroseneder
08-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Depends on your riding style. My first bike was a 900. My second bike was a 900. I'm used to them now and I'm upgrading to a GSXR 1000 next spring...

Most people I know started on a cruiser-style bike like an old 750 Honda or 750 Virago. If you like the sport bikes, look for a EX500 Ninja or Suzuki 500. If you dont think the 500 is big enough, look for a Suzuki SV650. They're a VTWIN bike so not as insanely fast as a 4 cyl. If you're really brave, you can try starting with something a CBR 600 F4 or a GSXR 600.. but as soon as you get into the Super Sport 600 CC class or bigger, there is power bands to contend with.... Remember these bikes have as much or more power then some cars and weigh 380 lbs.

Honestly, I would start with the SV650 or a 600 Katana... Good bike.. Big and handle alright... Enough power so you wont get bored but not enough that you'll scare yourself...

Mo Squared
08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
any price ranges for those bikes??

SOAB
08-01-2005, 01:20 PM
some good advice given here.

i know that most of the faster riders i know started out on smaller bikes. it may not be the fastest or the newest, but it'll force you to learn how to ride it instead of just twisting the throttle down the straight and then going around a corner straight up and down.

for a first bike, buy used. you won't lose as much money when it comes time to sell, and it won't hurt as much (the wallet) when you crash.

decent deals on bikes can be had pretty soon. people usually try to sell at the end of the season so keep an eye out.

Mo Squared
08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
awesome thanks alot guys, will keep everyone posted on how im doing :confused: hopefully itll come easy to me, who knows!!

anyway keep up the advice if u got any and im keepng an eye out for some bikes in bargain finder and shit so once i think i got a new one ill ask all you more experienced riders if its a good price and stuff. Thanks