PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Digital SLR Camera Buying.

Celica TVS3
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I know there are some pretty good photographers on this site who will be able to provide me with some good advice. I'm planning on buying a dslr camera within the next week or so. I've read the reviews and i think I have the cameras narrowed down to the Canon Rebel XT 350d & Nikon D70.

What do you guys think of these to cameras? Which would you choose?

Also, if I were to buy the Canon Rebel would you suggest buying the kit lens with it or just buying the camera body and picking up better quality general multi-purpose lens. If so which lens would you recommend - keep in mind I’m just getting into SLR cameras and don't want/need to spend $2k on my first lens.

What DSLRs are you using?

Thanks for the help.
Aaron.

mac_82
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I have used a D70 and a D100 before, they are great cameras. I haven't heard many good things about the lens kits that come with the camera bodies, so you might want to look into upgrading to a slighty better lense.

DJ Lazy
08-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I haven't heard many good things about the lens kits that come with the camera bodies, so you might want to look into upgrading to a slighty better lense.

Especially with the "new" lense they include in the kit with the 350D. The camera is amazing, however I've read a few reviews (http://www.dpreview.com/) that the 350D suffers at the expense of the new lense.

SportTwin
08-01-2005, 08:15 PM
^^^

:werd:

The Rebel XT is a great body, but the stock lense isn't. I bought mine back in March and its awsome. I highly recommend the XT.

BTW if you do end up buying an xt, spend the extra $35 and get the infrared remote control if you want to be in any of your own pictures. Totally worth it in my opinion.

DJ Lazy
08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by SportTwin
^^^

:werd:

The Rebel XT is a great body, but the stock lense isn't. I bought mine back in March and its awsome. I highly recommend the XT.

BTW if you do end up buying an xt, spend the extra $35 and get the infrared remote control if you want to be in any of your own pictures. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Did you go with just the body? or the kit?

D'z Nutz
08-01-2005, 11:21 PM
What's the "new" lens?

The 18-55 lens is okay. If you don't know what sort of shooting you'll be doing, it should get you started until you figure out what you want. If you don't have any other lenses or don't know what you want, may as well go with it. Isn't it just like $100 more?

To anyone looking for a Canon lens, I might sell my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM by the end of the month if I get around to replacing it with something more suitable for my needs.

I can't comment about the bodies performance-wise. All I know is the D70/D70s felt a lot more solid in my hands than the Rebel did when I was screwing around with them at Best Buy. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

SportTwin
08-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Did you go with just the body? or the kit?

The kit for $1299 from Vistek the day it came out. Those guys where totally helpful too - they where really candid about lenses and accessories when I went in to talk with them.

turboMiata
08-02-2005, 08:20 AM
i'd go with the xt over the d70. the cmos sensor isn't as noisy as the nikon's. but that's my opinion.

the very first lens i recommend every new canon slr owner to buy is the 50mm f/1.8 II. it's only 100bux and is amazingly sharp. i used it to take this month's calendar shot.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96299

if you can afford it right off the bat, get the 17-40 f/4L. that's another good value for your money.

DJ Lazy
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata
if you can afford it right off the bat, get the 17-40 f/4L. that's another good value for your money.

You and Ben think alike... Thats the same lens he recommended to me... :)

DJ Lazy
08-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
What's the "new" lens?

EF-S 18 - 55 mm II (still no USM)

Celica TVS3
08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I've decided to go for the Canon 350d body and pick up a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 instead of the kit lens to start with.

C4S
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is a great lens, works much better then the kit lens, and only $650 .. however, the kits lens is only $100-150 .. not bad, and it offers good range, 18-55

~~ 28-88mm range .. which is good for daily use .. 28mm with 1.6X factor, = 45mm .. which is not wide enough ...

I bought my camera with the Kit lens another, even I have rarely use it .. ( just the first few days ) but it is a good lens for the price, and it is very light too! :D

If you buy the 350D, I highly recommend the battery grip .. :)

sputnik
08-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by C4S
Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is a great lens, works much better then the kit lens, and only $650

If you buy the 350D, I highly recommend the battery grip .. :)

For $650 I would rather get the Canon 28-135 f/3.5 USM IS. My wife has this lens for her 20D and it is VERY clear with quick focusing. The Image Stabilization (IS) also allows you to shoot at slower speeds than you would normally be able to.

http://www.vistek.ca/details/detail_over.asp?eCode=156636&TYPE=&Specs=N&Box=N

:werd: about the battery grip... heavy but a great upgrade. Its also a bit cheaper if you can get the "Accessory Kit" since it is bundled with a simple bag and additional battery.

http://www.vistek.ca/details/detail_over.asp?eCode=219724&TYPE=&Specs=N&Box=N

C4S
08-09-2005, 10:23 AM
28-135 is a good lens .. but it is 3.5-5.6 even at 75mm area .. it is still at F4.5 .. which is almost 2 stops from F2.8 ..

again, it is good to stay with factory gear (same as car) depends what you want!

I still love the kit lens from my D70 .. :D

mb3k
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Would anyone recommend the D50? It's slightly cheapter than the D70/70S but is it worth the savings?

Obscura
08-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I shoot D100's and D70's so I looked at the D50 just to get and idea...

The kit lens is kinda junky on the build quality and only moderatly sharp.
the D50 uses SD cards instead of compact flask so that ruled it out for me buying it as a gift for a friend.

It's okay if you don't want to push it too hard. Try it and see how it feels though. It will work just great for most hobby photgraphers.

It's not the gear that makes a great photographer as much as their creativity though..