PDA

View Full Version : Official Edmonton Oilers Thread!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Kimchee
08-02-2005, 11:27 AM
May the games begin!!!...ok ok, i know i live in Calgary now, but there's no way i'd ever turn my back on the OIL....

so far....theres been minimal action with the oil but they just traded Isbister (awesome trade to free up some cash for needles)..

but this is what im really waitin to hear.....haha

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050802_115843_5072

First battle of alberta ...Oct 15/2005!!

tictactoe2004
08-02-2005, 11:31 AM
thank god im in here first to tell you that those BITCHES ARE GOING DOWN!! MWHAHAHAHAHA OILERS SUCK!

:drama:

:whipped: :whipped: :guns: :guns: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

:angel:

big mooe
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
thank god im in here first to tell you that those BITCHES ARE GOING DOWN!! MWHAHAHAHAHA OILERS SUCK!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OILERS SUCK!!!

gonefishing
08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
i'm in the same boat as you . moved here about 4 years ago but still love my oiler's. i'm also watching closely to see who their gonna pick up. i hope they don't make a huge mistake again like they did with adam oates.

thinmyster
08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
ill bet he comes to calgary before edmonton...
but calgary's defense is already strong it would suck to have to let someone go

anyways go flames go!!!

duffspec
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

:werd: nothing like crushing the grease monkey's from the north.

rmk
08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
who have they resigned? is smyth back? salo laraque? there should be some good battle of albert's this year given the messed up schedule... don't they both meet like 8 times??? can't wait to watch some hockey and get drunk. :poosie:

00Celica
08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Oilers will and always be better than the flames. Second place is for losers and thats the farthest the flames are gonna get.

Kimchee
08-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by rmk
who have they resigned? is smyth back? salo laraque? there should be some good battle of albert's this year given the messed up schedule... don't they both meet like 8 times??? can't wait to watch some hockey and get drunk. :poosie:

salo's gone....signed over in sweden somewhere....were countin on conlin or markkanen to hold the fort this year....

they gotta sign smytty yet....and i think laraque is good to go....

can't wait for the heroine beer at the dome....hahaha...:thumbsup:

Kimchee
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing
i'm in the same boat as you . moved here about 4 years ago but still love my oiler's. i'm also watching closely to see who their gonna pick up. i hope they don't make a huge mistake again like they did with adam oates.

agreed...oates and isbister were wash ups....and dvorak better step it up this year....i'd like to see niedermayar in edmonton....we need someone to quarterback the pp and have a number one defender...smith or brewer just aint cuttin it....

oil also need to pick up another forward....

toyboy88
08-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by 00Celica
Oilers will and always be better than the flames. Second place is for losers and thats the farthest the flames are gonna get.

im hoping your drunk or sumthing:banghead: :whipped: :dunno:

:D FLAMES RULE!

rmk
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Second place is for losers

17. EDMONTON 82-36-29-12-5

dino_martini
08-02-2005, 03:12 PM
More like Deadmonton Oilers AHAHAHAHAH Go Flames!:bigpimp: :guns: :drama:

v8killah
08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Ahahahah calgary better than the oilers ok thats funny. You make it to the finals pretty luckily but shit that was your first time ot the playoffs in 9 years. complete fluke and will not happen ever again.

ahahah man im killing myself laughing right now.

edmonton is going to be a totaly different looking team this year.

Def_3
08-02-2005, 03:54 PM
hey man Oilers, are good for something....MAKING THE FLAMES LOOK GOOD:D

Wildcat
08-02-2005, 08:42 PM
:werd: get thafuckout :rofl:

CdnSilverStreak
08-02-2005, 11:04 PM
As posted in the last thread..

Saw this on Sportsnet...

Oilers got Pronger.... Brewer, Lynch, and Woywitka go to the Blues...

DelSoln
08-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Wooohoooo Pronger! Our first marquee player in quite some time. :thumbsup:

ronaldo
08-03-2005, 12:17 AM
thats a great pickup for the oilers..but it still wont be enough to take the flames

Choice
08-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Great deal! But, hoping St.Louis ate some of the salary......still too small of a market to afford a $7 million d-man. Gotta save some $$ for a 1st line centre, then we're set!

00Celica
08-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Flames lost gelinas to florida and are not resigning niemenin. And you cant be serious, the flames are a better hockey club than the oilers? If they could field a consistant squad that makes the playoffs 7/8 years then talk, not just one fluky year.

GTS Jeff
08-03-2005, 03:01 AM
In Edmonton, I see more Flames fans than Oilers fans. :rofl: :rofl:

tapout
08-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Flames lost gelinas to florida and are not resigning niemenin. And you cant be serious, the flames are a better hockey club than the oilers? If they could field a consistant squad that makes the playoffs 7/8 years then talk, not just one fluky year. flames are a fluck?are you on crack three division leaders ko that was not a fluck

mac_82
08-03-2005, 05:28 AM
I like how Oilers fans think their team is the best because of how good they were 20 years ago. What have they done lately? Pronger will be a good pickup for them, it is nice to see teams like Calgary and Edmonton actually signing players like Pronger and Amonte these days, instead of loosing all our big name stars to big market teams.

gonefishing
08-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I just read the Oiler's signed pronger to a 5-year deal this will keep our defense strong for years to come. now we just need a couple of forwards and were good to go.

heavyD
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Oilers gave up far too much for Pronger. They traded away their best defenseman plus their two best defense prospects for and elete player that is past his prime for $6.25 million/year.:confused: Unfortunately for Oilers fans Pronger can't be on the ice for 60 minutes per game. No starting goaltender, no firstline forwards (Ryan Smyth is a 2nd liner at best), one elite defenseman, no playoffs for the 'City of PAST Champions' for the forseable future.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
amazing deal...brewer was over rated anyway...

oil need to pick up a forward still....and maybe another defender...

pronger-smith
staios-cross
bergeron-ulanov
ferguson-semenov

we need one more LOWE!!!....maybe put fergusen on reserves....

fordo_11
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
poor deal, I agree with heaveyD, the truth is the oil didn't gain much in this trade. Pronger adds a little but not enough to change the fact the Oilers will be bad, just like everything in Deadmonton. The fact is they still have a week offensive core and Smyth will never be as good as Iginla, and they just wasted their money to sign some scoring on someone who doesn't improve their D that much. Good luck but the only reason the oil won't be basement dwellers is becuase the Wild still haven't done anything to improve.

88CRX
08-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by fordo_11
poor deal, I agree with heaveyD, the truth is the oil didn't gain much in this trade. Pronger adds a little but not enough to change the fact the Oilers will be bad, just like everything in Deadmonton. The fact is they still have a week offensive core and Smyth will never be as good as Iginla, and they just wasted their money to sign some scoring on someone who doesn't improve their D that much. Good luck but the only reason the oil won't be basement dwellers is becuase the Wild still haven't done anything to improve.

so true... edmonton gave up ALOT to get an older defenceman.

rmk
08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
10 bucks says pronger gets injured right at clutch time every year.

sputnik
08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pronger for $6.25M per YEAR? Is Edmonton RETARDED? :nut:

The Oiler organization better hope that he doesnt get injured and miss a season again.

sputnik
08-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Oilers gave up far too much for Pronger. They traded away their best defenseman plus their two best defense prospects for and elete player that is past his prime for $6.25 million/year.:confused: Unfortunately for Oilers fans Pronger can't be on the ice for 60 minutes per game. No starting goaltender, no firstline forwards (Ryan Smyth is a 2nd liner at best), one elite defenseman, no playoffs for the 'City of PAST Champions' for the forseable future.

:werd:

Edmonton is done. Anyone who thinks that they will be good competition against Calgary is kidding themselves. Just look at the lineups and compare the depth in each organization.

Edmonton has NO ONE, and they gave up WAY too much just for Pronger (not to mention paying him a retarded salary). Pretty sad when Hemsky and Dvorak are their "star" players.

gonefishing
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pronger for $6.25M per YEAR? Is Edmonton RETARDED? :nut:

The Oiler organization better hope that he doesnt get injured and miss a season again.

How much do you expect one of the top 3 defenseman in the NHL to make 2-3 million? i would say around how much one of the top 3 forwards would make 5-7 million.

And as for being too old i didn't know players only play 10-13 seasons these days , i believe he still got at least 5 good years in him.

hjr
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
jesus... do you people have so little going on in your lives you need to spam some dudes thread about how some other team sucks?

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Realistically speaking, the oil picked up an all star defender and is paying the premium salary because of it....watch neidermayer to make the same or more and gonchar just signed for $5mil/year...

if pronger had signed oun with the flames, would you all still be talkin smack??...i don't think so...

sputnik
08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kimchee
Realistically speaking, the oil picked up an all star defender and is paying the premium salary because of it....watch neidermayer to make the same or more and gonchar just signed for $5mil/year...

if pronger had signed oun with the flames, would you all still be talkin smack??...i don't think so...

With Iginla signing for $7M the Flames cant afford Pronger. Even if they could they would realize that Pronger isnt worth half of what Iginla is. Calgary already has enough depth in their defence anyways. While Edmonton doesnt even have a star player.

Compare the 2 rosters and Calgary KILLS Edmonton. You Edmonton fans better PRAY that Dvorak and Hemsky have amazing seasons.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Lowe seiously needs to look up front....dvorak, smyth, york, hemsky, torres, reasoner, horcoff all have to step up....we need a number 1 line centre....

InfiniteJoy
08-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I like how Oilers fans think their team is the best because of how good they were 20 years ago. What have they done lately? Pronger will be a good pickup for them, it is nice to see teams like Calgary and Edmonton actually signing players like Pronger and Amonte these days, instead of loosing all our big name stars to big market teams.

And Calgary is not sackriding last year's playoff performance at all right? Over the past 10 years, the Oilers have pretty much consistantly outplayed the flames.

duffspec
08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Pffffffft edmonton has just threw away money and prospects for a single D man.They need to focus on a well rounded team to compete with other teams in their conference IMO.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
prior to having Pronger, Edmonton has been consistently in the playoffs 2/3 times...Pronger has only made Edmonton a stonger team...last season, edmonton had 21 more goals than the flames...now with pronger back there, hopefully their goals against improve.....

duffspec
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I hope that Edmonton becomes a better team, it will just make the battle of Alberta that much more amazing. I think Edmonton needs a #1 tender and a strong forward that can give them a little size up front. It will be fun this year. :thumbsup:

sputnik
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
prior to having Pronger, Edmonton has been consistently in the playoffs 2/3 times...Pronger has only made Edmonton a stonger team...last season, edmonton had 21 more goals than the flames...now with pronger back there, hopefully their goals against improve.....

Since Edmonton sucked last year (2003/2004) perhaps you should look at the players Edmonton is missing from 2002 and earlier (when they actually made the playoffs).

Mike Comrie
Doug Weight
Janne Niinimaa
Anson Carter
Todd Marchant
Tommy Salo

(just to name a few...)

Now who do they have? They have an overpriced defenceman and a bunch of rookies and 4th line players. They actually look a lot like the Pittsburg Penguins but without Crosby.

d-UNiT
08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
pittsburg is developing a pretty sick team

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
exactly my point, oilers were 2 points shy of making the playoffs last time, and only 5 behind the flames....hopefully with the acquisition of pronger and maybe one more forward, the oilers should be gold to make the playoffs.....

sputnik
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by d-UNiT
pittsburg is developing a pretty sick team

Other than Recchi, Gonchar and Crosby (which is still a big maybe)... I dont see them with a great team.

They have no goaltender and really only one like of decent players.

gonefishing
08-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Now who do they have? They have an overpriced defenceman and a bunch of rookies and 4th line players. They actually look a lot like the Pittsburg Penguins but without Crosby.

You keep talking about Pronger like he's all washed up or something. He is still probably one of the best if not the best defenseman in the NHL. He's coming off of one injuried season but has proven himself as a monster on the blue line his whole career.

If i were you i would worry more about how Kipper will play this year rather than ranting mindlessly on about the oiler's. i hope for your sake he doesn't turn into another Giguere.

heavyD
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Oilers didn't sign Pronger as a free agent. They traded their best defenseman who happens to be younger than Pronger and threw in their two best defense prospects.

I would be talking smack if the Flames traded Regehr & and two prospects for Pronger. I would be pissed that the Flames would send away younger, cheaper players with upside for a player on the downside of his career.

heavyD
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing
i hope for your sake he doesn't turn into another Giguere.

Or even worse he could turn into Ty Conklin.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sputnik
08-03-2005, 02:57 PM
The difference between the Oilers and the Flames is that the Flames arent relying on one or two players. You would have to know NOTHING about hockey to not be able to recognize that Calgary has much more depth than Edmonton.

Pronger isnt washed up. But does Edmonton really need one superstar to boost the team or would they be better of building a more experienced team with a number of experienced players?

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 03:07 PM
i agree, oilers will need another number one guy up front sooner rather than later...i have faith in Lowe...haha...he'll pull sumtin outta his ass in the next couple days....

sputnik
08-03-2005, 03:09 PM
i have faith in Lowe...haha...he'll pull sumtin outta his ass in the next couple days....

You probably arent that far from the truth...

(unfortunately it will probably be the boot that kicked him out of the door)

duffspec
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
^^^^ as long it's not a trade or someone from the Rangers.........you guy's were looking like the Ranger farm team.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by duffspec
^^^^ as long it's not a trade or someone from the Rangers.........you guy's were looking like the Ranger farm team.

haha...damn sather...and he still managed to somehow not make the playoffs even when the oilers did...

v8killah
08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Ya no kidding what are you doing trash talking pronger. he is a premier defenceman in the league and is as old as niedemeyer so i don't see where you argument is. we also have jason smith who was our best defenseman not brewer.

Just face it you guys dumped moiney into a old washed up player like amonte and got rid of a blood and sweat player in gelinas good job guys
:rolleyes:

7 mil for iginla is good hes a awesome player im not going to argue that i love that guy. but kipper jeez that guy had one good playoffs big shit its not going to happen again mark my words.

im out!

sputnik
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Another bonehead move by Lowe

Mike Peca to EDM for Mike York. Looks like he only knows how to trade away his team.

heavyD
08-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Another bonehead move by Lowe

Mike Peca to EDM for Mike York. Looks like he only knows how to trade away his team.

OMG! Newsflash to Kevin Lowe. Mike Peca is washed up. He's no better than Darren Mccarty and makes 4 times as much. Mike York was their second best forward and they trade him for a checking center?:dunno: Sean Donavan looks like a sniper compared to Peca's 11 goals in 76 games.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 04:06 PM
shitty, i was lookin forward to yorkie this year....oh well, peca has good leadership and with the oil being such a young team, can bring alot of benefits....looks like lowe is lookin at special teams this year with pronger and peca....thats where they were hurtin last year.....

gonefishing
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
i'm not too happy about this trade myself , how much was York supposse to be making this year?

v8killah
08-03-2005, 04:13 PM
This might not be to bad, they both have similar speed and york has always been a streaker player. but we will see how this one pans out.

limecorrado
08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
York was a restricted free agent with a bum wrist

I see few downside in the peca trade for the oilers, we still Need a scoring forward though.

The western conference is gonna be exciting this season.

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 04:29 PM
shit, the west is always the best to watch!!....

either shits gonna hit the fan or everyone will praise Lowe...hopefully its the latter...hahaha....

Peca will be great on the penalty kill.....

Kimchee
08-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Oiler Player Contracts

Chris Pronger $6.25 million
Michael Peca $3.99 million
Jason Smith $1.976 million
Steve Staios $1.615 million
Radek Dvorak $1.596 million
Ty Conklin $1.14 million
Ethan Moreau $1.102 million
Georges Laraque $1.083 million
Cory Cross $874,000
Alexei Semenov $760,000
Fernando Pisani $611,800
Marc-Andre Bergeron $608,000
Todd Harvey $528,200

13 Players $22,134,000

still need to sign: smyth, hemsky, horcoff, Markkanen, Reasoner, Stoll, Torres, and maybe Ulanov??

probably close to $31 million after they are all signed.....

sCream
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
i dont need to debate this topic. im more than confident that the oil will do better than calgary this season, and im sure most non-calgary fans agree.

88CRX
08-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sCream
i dont need to debate this topic. im more than confident that the oil will do better than calgary this season, and im sure most non-calgary fans agree.

bwahahahahahah!!!!

whos there goalie lol...... ya, thats what i thought.

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2005, 06:47 PM

lol, hell no.

who does the oilers have for :
---goalie..? some chumps... Salo might have passed his prime, but still a much better goalie than those kids.
--- D? Pronger ... and who else... plus they traded brewer for him. I agree that Pronger is good, but with just himself and no backups their D line is pretty weak...
--- Forward? Smyth and Peca.. Peca is old and well passed his prime, he's leadership might help build the club but thats about it.

Calgary:
Forward: Iggy + Amonte + Langkow --- killer first line
Simon + wiemer + McCarty --- Fuck you up second line that can also score

Defence: Probably one of the deepest D core in the league
Goalie: Kipper, even if he does bust, he'll get tons of help from his D.

88CRX
08-03-2005, 06:49 PM
haha, i was just arguing with someone on hondatech about this exact issue.

Defence:
Regher, Lydman, Leopold, Warriner, Ference, Phanoff(oh snap!) compared to Edmontons defence? Come on man, Calgary has one of the leagues best defensive cores, most hockey fans will admit that atleast. All our d-men are young and all are continuing to get better every year. I'll give you one thing, Pronger, but he is ageing and has been somewhat injury prone as of late.... we'll see how he does this year.

Forwards:
Bwahahahaha. Ryan Smyth and Mike Peca VS Ignla, Amonte & Lankow? Edmonton is full of unproven forwards that are ok. Just ok.

The rest of our offence consiting of Reinprect, Donovan(over-rated), Simon, Mccarty, Nillson & Yelle blows Edmonton out of the water. Who knows whats happening with Lombardi and McAmond.

Serioosly though, besides Ryan Smyth and Mike Peca (neither are snipers themselves) who does Edmonton have? Dvorak, Horcoff and Torres. Wow, you guys are in trouble lol.

Goalies:
Atleast you didnt try to argue that one.

Hell Turek as our backup at under $1mill/season is better then either of your goalies.

sCream
08-03-2005, 06:56 PM
your putting down Peca, and praising those two first lines like your gonna make it to the finals again...lol.

Enough talk, we'll just have to see whose eating their words when the season starts.
But one more thing.. Peca/Horcoff > Amonte/Weimer

88CRX
08-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Enough talk, we'll just have to see whose eating their words when the season starts.
But one more thing.. Peca/Horcoff > Amonte/Weimer

weimer? who gives a shit about him.

peca is a hack. and horcoff just sucks.

would you like me to draw you a picture

Edmonton

Ryan Smyth 23-36-59
Radek Dvorak 15-35-50
Shawn Horcoff 15-25-40
Raffi Torres 20-14-34
Ales Hemsky 12-22-34
Ethan Moreau 20-12-32
Mike Peca 11-29-40

Calgary

Jarome Iginla 41-32-73
Shean Donovan 18-24-42
Jordan Leopold 9-24-33
Dean McAmmond 17-13-30
Mathew Lombardi 16-13-29
Steve Reinprecht 7-22-29 (only played 44 games)
Chris Simon 17-11-28
Tony Amonte 20-33-53
Daymond Lankow 21-31-52
Darren McCarty

Nuff said

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2005, 07:22 PM
^^ Game, set and match:rofl: :rofl:

smokedog
08-03-2005, 07:42 PM
where can you buy tickets...went online(offical website) couldn't get any...even went to ticketmaster(online) no luck...is their an oilers office i can go to...to get tickets for upcoming games...

sCream
08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
How does Horcoff just plain suck? If your just basing players on their offensive production.. then i hope you realize that he was only 4 pts off the scoring title in the Swedish Elite League. He wasnt sitting around doing nothing this off season.

Peca is also probably one of the best defensive offensemens in the league, no one expects him to have an 80 pt season, but im sure he will crack 60 this season on this team.

88CRX> The Offence cant be 1 dimensional, your basing everything here by strictly points, and by saying so and so sucks, doesnt lead me to believe you have much of an arguement, no offense. Im not here to debate who has better offence, because i really dont care, it comes down to which team finishes off with most points in the end.

Last year The oilers finished 8-10th in the league in scoring, which is pretty damn good, especially with the pitiful payroll we have, beating St Louis, Boston, NJ, NYR, which had significantly larger payrolls.

limecorrado
08-03-2005, 10:14 PM
The oilers finished 5 points back of calgary in the reqular season.

Give oilers a scoring forward and a coach and we'll have a good battle of alberta.

NO MORE SIMPSON PLEASE

88CRX
08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
How does Horcoff just plain suck? If your just basing players on their offensive production.. then i hope you realize that he was only 4 pts off the scoring title in the Swedish Elite League. He wasnt sitting around doing nothing this off season.

Peca is also probably one of the best defensive offensemens in the league, no one expects him to have an 80 pt season, but im sure he will crack 60 this season on this team.

88CRX> The Offence cant be 1 dimensional, your basing everything here by strictly points, and by saying so and so sucks, doesnt lead me to believe you have much of an arguement, no offense. Im not here to debate who has better offence, because i really dont care, it comes down to which team finishes off with most points in the end.

Last year The oilers finished 8-10th in the league in scoring, which is pretty damn good, especially with the pitiful payroll we have, beating St Louis, Boston, NJ, NYR, which had significantly larger payrolls.

And your baseing your defence on the oilers beating other high payroll teams?

And what else do you want me to compare the two teams players on? Experience? Wait, the Oilers didnt make the playoffs. Team chemistry? Edmonton prolly did a good job of that too.... on the golf course.

The Oilers have shit all for a team..... its the Flames turn to be the Alberta team now back off lol :D

And I WILL be back and bump this thread once a month with a current update as to how far the Flames are ahead of the Oilers in the standings.

Ty Conklin for life!!!!!

88CRX
08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
btw, stats dont lie :thumbsup:

suranga
08-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Stupid hicks from Calgary don’t know shit. Peca is renegotiating his contract, oilers want to sign him long term for around 2 million per. Peca brings a lot more to the table than York: grit, defensive play, and leadership. The oil just added two former captains into their lineup, while the flames just got amonte; a washed up loser who can only max out at 20 goals. I can’t wait to get this season started with the new rules; the oilers are built around speed, and should excel with the new rule changes.

88CRX
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by suranga
while the flames just got amonte; a washed up loser who can only max out at 20 goals.

haha. even without amonte the flames are still a better team.

man oh man, i am gonna rub it in soooo bad when the oilers are once again shitting the bed, crying there small market team bullshit.

suranga
08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

man oh man, i am gonna rub it in soooo bad when the oilers are once again shitting the bed, crying there small market team bullshit.

My god man! Give it a rest, your SEVERLY underestimating the Oilers here. With the recent additions, the simple fact remains that they are a better team than last year. Is Calgary a better team? Its probable, but you can’t give me a definite answer until the season gets underway.

v8killah
08-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Lol who do we have in net?? conklin, yah thats right conklin.

he has the fastest reflexs in the league(proven) and is a team usa goltender.

and you talking about experience for us missing one year of playoffs, how about the previous 7 years we made it vs. your previous 9 years not even comign close.

you are being a retard man.

Team_Mclaren
08-04-2005, 12:56 AM
lol, sure they are consistent, consistentily getting beat by dallas in the first round 4 years on a road. :rofl: :rofl:

conklin is a good goalie? fastest reflexs? wtf are you talking about. team usa goalie doesnt mean shit when Mike Dunham is your starting goalie (not a top goalie in the league)... Not that he's horrible, but he's not good enough to be a starter

00Celica
08-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Haha This is exactly what i predicted last year. After the flames LOSE in the finals everyones talking like there the greatest team on earth. Face it, your team isnt that great. Are they better than the oilers? Perhaps on paper, but I am not too sure if they are on the ice. When Calgary can put together 5 or more consistant seasons of making the playoffs and competing,then you guys can talk, cuz rite now we could all predict that they could end up like the Carolina Hurricanes after there run or Anaheim. As for flames being Albertas team, they will never ever reach that status. 5 cups in 7 years? That is a dynasty,something Calgary has never had. Edmonton developed the G.O.A.T(greatest of all time) with Gretzky, and even won a cup without him. Once Calgary can put forth an effort like that, then they can take the name of The City Of Champions,but until then, they dont have shit on E-town.

sputnik
08-04-2005, 07:07 AM
It seems like 9/10 Oilers fans live in the past only remembering the glory years and seem to neglect the past 2 years where their decent team has been completely decimated.

Talk all you want about the years that Calgary didnt make the playoffs. The fact of the matter is that in the past 2 seasons Sutter has put together a kickass team with great chemistry. Meanwhile the Oilers have McTavish/Lowe leading the team not because they are intelligent or good leaders, but because they have a couple Stanley Cup rings. Edmonton will need to clean house behind the bench before you will see them successful. All that Lowe seems to be doing lately is buying a team. Sure Pronger is an all star defenseman, Peca is a good defensive forward and both were captains of their previous teams. Unfortunately Lowe got rid of a number of prospects and decent Oilers in the process. The Oilers need to concentrate on building a team that will work together and improve their players, instead of just assembling a team based on numbers from a statbook.

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 08:16 AM
FYI...if you are worried about Edmonton's scoring power, they had more "Goals for" than Calgary did last year with this same team...

now with one of the best D-man Pronger and the one of the best defensive forwards in the league, our Goals against are bound to drop...

we'll let the oil do the talkin on the ice....

88CRX
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
It seems like 9/10 Oilers fans live in the past only remembering the glory years and seem to neglect the past 2 years where their decent team has been completely decimated.

Exactly what i was about to say.

Nobody gives a shit if you won some cups in the 80's :thumbsdow

88CRX
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
FYI...if you are worried about Edmonton's scoring power, they had more "Goals for" than Calgary did last year with this same team...

now with one of the best D-man Pronger and the one of the best defensive forwards in the league, our Goals against are bound to drop...

we'll let the oil do the talkin on the ice....

so why didnt they make the playoffs then? gf/ga mean shit when you cant win games.

lets talk about goals against and your teams goaltending.

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 09:06 AM
western conference predictions:

1) Vancouver
2) Detroit
3) San Jose
4) Colorado
5) Edmonton
6) Los Angeles
7) Calgary
8) Phoenix

Sorry...no dallas, st louis or nashville gonna make the plyaoffs this year....

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 09:15 AM
any takers on the top five scoring titles this year???....lets see

1) Forsberg
2) Iginla
3) Naslund
4) Heatley
5) St. Louis

limecorrado
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Hoiw bout the 5 previous seasons calgary shit the bed...or how bout the cup final....Guess all that talent could'nt put tampa away.

sputnik
08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by limecorrado

Hoiw bout the 5 previous seasons calgary shit the bed...or how bout the cup final....Guess all that talent could'nt put tampa away.

Fortunately those 5 season were pre-Sutter and the Flames roster has almost no one that played for them back then.

Sure, Calgary lost in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. But they took out Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit on the way there. Im sure when game 7 against Tampa came along there were bookies in Vegas shitting their pants.

Again, quit dwelling on the past and look at the current rosters. There has yet to be one of you oil-fanboys that have done a line by line comparision of each team.

Here are my Flames lines. Lets see how the Oil stacks up.

Line 1 - Amonte/Langkow/Iginla
Line 2 - Reinprecht/Lombard/Donovan
Line 3 - Nilson/Yelle/Clark
Line 4 - Simon/Wiemer/McCarty

D1 - Regehr/Leopold
D2 - Lydman/Warrener
D3 - Ference/Phaneuf

G - Kiprusoff/Krahn

Extras - Loyns (LW), Ritchie (C), Kobasew (RW), Montador (D)

Tough as to chemistry. Lots of centers that can play the wing, but few natural left-wingers to speak of. I still think that fourth line would kick ass. Put them up against Dvorak-Pisani-Hemsky and see what happens.

suranga
08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
RUMOUR: Oilers get Kariya!?!?! and have almost signed Whitney?!? :clap: :clap: :clap:

duffspec
08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
^^^^^ those two are wicked players. Going to be fun if you guy's do get em.

88CRX
08-04-2005, 05:00 PM
if the oilers get kariya then we'll talk about evenly skilled teams :thumbsup:

Hakkola
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Whitney is great too, I'll respect Edmonton if they get both, and if Kariya is true then that's really cool. They still have to do something about goaltending though.

I don't know why there is so much hate in this thread, hockey will be exciting and I'm happy more Canadian teams will be able to compete.

SOAB
08-04-2005, 05:33 PM
there is hate because its the BATTLE OF ALBERTA!!! how much fun would it be if there was no animosity??

suranga
08-04-2005, 05:41 PM
sorry guys, its just a rumour for now.

cujo_cjc
08-04-2005, 06:18 PM
ty conklin means nothing being a goalie on the usa team!
who do they really even have as far as goalies go anyways :rolleyes:
kipper was starter for finland and took them to the finals before losing to canada :drama:

i think you lose that one there v8killah

sputnik
08-04-2005, 07:58 PM
marc andre fleury was the team canada goalie and top rated goalie draft pic in 2003... look at him now

v8killah
08-04-2005, 10:20 PM
yah look at him, hes the best fucking young goaltender in the league. he is going to be unreal in a few years watch as pitsburg becomes a contender.

last year conklin finished with a 2.43 gaa thats not to shabby for his first year.

sputnik take your head out of your ass calgary isnt he only good team int he league.

all you posts have shown that you have a very limited knowledge of the game.

im out!

suranga
08-04-2005, 10:30 PM
RUMOUR: Oilers trade Reasoner for Handzus

http://www.flyersphans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43857&page=1&pp=15

EDIT: Just another damn rumour.

DelSoln
08-04-2005, 11:05 PM
marc andre fleury was the team canada goalie and top rated goalie draft pic in 2003... look at him now

Oh I didn't realize you were supposed to give up on players after their first year. You should have told Boston to do that with Thornton and Tampa to have done that with Lecavalier. In fact get Ottawa on the phone right now and tell them to do it with Spezza as well!:nut:

mac_82
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I am just happy that Canadian teams are able to pick up and trade for the calibre of players that we have been since Aug 1. 2 years ago would anyone have thought the Flames or Oilers would be getting players like Pronger or Amonte, or being able to afford to keep and sign a player like Iginla? Over the past 10 years, the Flames and Oilers have lost more star players than I care to think about to big market teams.

Calgary and Edmonton both have a great shot at making the playoffs this year, and there will be some intense games for sure! Here is my prediction for the west:

1. San Jose - pacific
2. Vancouver- nw
3. St. Louis - central
4. Detroit
5. Calgary
6. Dallas
7. Colorado
8. Edmonton
--------------------
9. Anaheim
10. Phoenix
11. LA