PDA

View Full Version : Sleep and Weight Control

Tyler883
08-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Just finished reading an article in "The Canadian Juornal of Diagnosis" from a Calgary Doctor. I'm not going to type it out for you but here some highlights of his conclusions:

"patients having trouble losing wieght or maintaining weight should have a screening sleep history. The history should focus on total sleep time and the restorative quality of sleep.

treatment of a primary sleeep disorder such as sleep apnea may improve a patient's ability to manage their weight

patient who are having troubles losing weight or maintaining weight should be screened for SAD( seasonal affective disorder) and preference for night owl sleeping pattern.

patients with metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes mellitus who are not progressing or stabilizing should have a screening sleep and mood history to determine if there are other biological barriers to progress in the management of their condition"

His findings provide evidence that support the assumption that currrent trends toward an overweight, tired population with high risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease are linked to stress, mood and sleep behaviour/patterns.

argh!!!! my fingers are cramping :rofl:

hockeybronx
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
I guess it's a pretty good article, not sure where it was really going however I do agree that regardless of your fitness goals adequate sleep patterns are absolutely imperative.

The body burns more calories when you are sleeping than just sitting there resting as it repairs body tissue, breaks down food, regulates blood cell levels, and digests stored energy. Your body can only regenerate optimally when it's in it's ideal (rapid eye movement (R.E.M)) state.

Sleep is probably my most overlooked part of my fitness regime.

blueripper6
08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I have type 1 mellitus and with workin out and eating great im still hovering after i lost a bunch of weight, MAYBE?? im gonna ask my doctor tmr.. thanks

Tyler883
08-03-2005, 12:20 AM
There are many articles about "overtraining".

When you think about it, not getting enough sleep will easily produce the same results.

Don't be guilty of working your ass off, if you aren't getting enough sleep.

Stress is another one to watch out for, stress produces a hormone that causes a release of glucose into your blood stream, leading to weight gain and long term insuline desensitivity.

Tyler883
08-03-2005, 08:18 AM
The reason why I mentioned this is for reasons related to myself. I'm overweight, and I agree with the basic need for me to make improvements to my diet and activity level.

However, I've experienced little improvement over several years of high volume weight training because I had sleep apnea and I wasn't receiving treatment for the sleep apnea.

So, now that I've got a good idea what it's like to get a good night's sleep, I can remember back to my early 20's and remember feeling like crap all the time. How is it that I can feel better at 350lbs than I did in my 20s at 200lbs? From what I have learned, it is unlikely that a 200lb persom would have sleep apnea, but other things might have effected my health such as worrying too much, cronic fatique from not sleeping enough, perhaps my diet was really screwing with my insulin and energy levels?

Makes me wonder, if the underlying reasons why a person falls out of health might be more preventable if more people in their 20's would go see their doctor, and stay more aware about what is normal, and what is not normal.

blueripper6
08-04-2005, 12:08 AM
What do you mean type 2 mellitus? Children rarely get type 2. Mellitus means childhood onset, so wouldnt it be type 1?

Tyler883
08-06-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know what he means by type 2 mellitus. I double checked the article and I got it right, but maybe its a mistake in the article?