Calgary, AB
T2N 1V5 Canada

Phone: 403 283 5553
Number in Party - 2
Food rating - 7.5 / 10
Ambience - 4 / 5
Service - 7.5 / 10
Average Cost per person: $35 + drinks

Dined at this establishment on Saturday night based off many recommendations from people whom I respect, and enjoyed some quality Italian cuisine.

The restaurant is typical Venetian decor, dark woods with nice white table cloths and quality wines being served. The atmosphere, though it was busy (reservations were a must this Saturday night), was actually quite comfortable, where nobodies conversations took volume over your own.

We were promptly seated, and our waiter was over in no time, however what struck me as unusual for an upscale restaurant was that he failed to introduce himself. Instead his opening line was "Can we start off with some wine or perhaps some cocktails". No, "how are we this evening?" or any sort of warming chit chat to establish such rapport with the clientele. That said he was prompt and courteous.

After taking FOREVER to decide on what to order (because everything sounded so good) we made up our minds.

Order was placed and pre-dinner conversation took place. When our meals arrived everything looked to be prepared with care. I decided on a filet mignon w/ some sort of tomato based sauce, and the other half went with a cream sauce based fettuccini pasta (I'm sorry, I do not remember the names but it wasn't Alfredo haha). After slicing into the first part of the steak and enjoying the first bite quite exquisitely, the waiter returned and explained I got the wrong dish, showcasing in hand the proper one. I was disappointed, because the one I had started on, was absolutely outstanding, whereas the one I had actually ordered and began to sample, frankly left a lot to be desired. The pasta dish was however excellent.

Another short-coming in my mind was the fact that my friend ordered an Earl Grey tea with a side of honey, which we were assured they had, only to have him return some 20 minutes later to explain to her, they don’t have any honey. Now, I dunno, I could go to the Tim Horton’s or McDonalds down the street and grab some honey, and an upscale dining environment didn't have ANY? Hmmm...again, small, yet bothersome. We declined the tea as a result and settled the bill.

All in all, a decent place, however perhaps the waiter was a bit green on the service aspect. In comparisson to other fine dining establishments (namely my last review of Caesars Steak House) it was definatly NOT to the level of that. A more experienced (and truly Italian) waiter would have scored much higher on this experience.

That said, I would still likely return.

Goda il vostro pranzo

sputnik
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Ben
We were promptly seated, and our waiter was over promptly, however what struck me as unusual for an upscale restaurant was that he failed to introduce himself. Instead his opening line was "Can we start off with some wine or perhaps some cocktails". No, "how are we this evening?" or any sort of warming chit chat to establish such rapport with the clientele. That said he was prompt and courteous.

I can relate to this. My father in law is Italian and nothing irritates him more than sitting around talking without being offered a glass of wine first.