PDA

View Full Version : My Golf5 Review

bart
08-03-2005, 08:11 AM
So I rented the new golf tdi (105hp version i think) over the weekend for 98€. Did about 2000km in total. Went from Berlin, to Copenhagen, then into Sweden for a few hours, then back to Dresden to finish off my trip seeing the VW Glass Factory where they make the Phaetons, that was awesome.

Anyway, I must say the new golf is probably a better golf. The ride is a bit better, so is the handling. It has more gadgets it seems too. My favorite is the way the hatch opens, but everyone knows that one by now. A few new things I noticed:

-sensor for passenger wearing no seat-belt if they are present
-rear wiper doesn't come on if hatch is open
-the magnasteer crosswinds steering correction thing, kinda noticeable and weird
-one touch signaling, tap it and it blinks 3 times and shuts off
-more cubby holes and lots of cup holders
-everything you shift the tranny makes a weird 'electronic', almost as if its shift-by-wire or something, you shift and maybe a computer actually makes the gear changes, or some sensor telling the ecu what gear the car is in.
-the tdi model gearing is taller every gear, 1st goes to 45, 2nd to 80, and 5th from 2000rpm is at 100
-the 4th to 5th change is not a long to the right reach anymore if anyone notcied this in their golfs, its less side to side, like the 2nd to 3rd.
-you can sit really low if you wish, its nice, i kinda like how the dash is higher and kinda dont, 50/50 i guess.
-the way the new climatronic functions is nice.

some bad things:

-the horn, omg, so dinky, it makes like a oinnnnk sound, pathetic!
-the dash looks cheap compared to the golf4 if you get a basic golf, looks better in a gti, just gets more things.
-if it rained and you open the window, it seems the water drips much easier into the cabin off the roof for some reason, in gobs.
-bongs like american cars for not having seat belts on, hopefully can disable this.
-4 doors :)
-not sure if i like the gas pedal, seems like it should stay on a truck.

To sum up, I wouldnt mind having a Golf5, but at the same time, wouldn't mind keeping the Golf4 either. It would be a coin toss. The new one does some things better then the old one, and a few things worse I say.

Here is a vid from the autobahn I made, hit top speed of 215 down a slight hill, notice the A3, A4 avant and A8 I drove with :D. I dont know if its the PD engines or what, but the low oil lamp came on, so I stopped after like 200km to refuel and reoil. I guess driving about 1100km at 200ish might burn some oil? LOL

http://www.pagesteps.com/temp/golf5tdiautobahn.wmv (save target as)

And a pic of the actual car once I got to copenhagen and parked it:

http://servfiles.com/4107/

tictactoe2004
08-03-2005, 09:31 AM
sounds good man, i have a 01 gti vr6 right now... i cant wait to test drive the new one. I don't know if I want to get a brand new GTI next year or get a used bimmer... decisions decisions decisions....

bart
08-03-2005, 09:53 AM
the new gti5 coming out i would definately get, but if its just a golf, coin toss that one.

lastprodigy
08-03-2005, 11:52 AM
lol that was a long video.....pretty boring for 200km/h though :poosie: ...nice vid/music none the less