PDA

View Full Version : Considering puchasing a bike

Phats
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Ok, so I have always wanted to get a sport bike, but never had the time or the money, now, I have the money, and the opportunity to buy a bike from a friend. It is a 1990 Suzuki Katana 600 that has been dropped on one side but is in really good looking condition, obviously I would need to get it checked mechanically but other than that the bike looks great. I want to know a couple things, do these bikes have a good mechanical reputation, or do certain things like to crap out on them, and would 2k be a good price for it, having 38000 kms. Any opinions would be helpful, thanks.

eclipse00
08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Buy it, use it for a year or so, until you learn how to ride then sell the thing. You wont lose money on it.

You're going about it the right way, chances are that you will crash in the first year, maybe just in your drive way or at slow speeds, but its better not to fuk up a new bike.

38K on a bike is nothing at all, they arnt like a car. IT not really the type of bike that you bag the shit out of, so it should be in good condition. If you know someone that rides, get them to take it for a spin and make sure that their are no weird noises.

YamaLube
08-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Its pretty hard to find a bike that's 1990 something for under 2 grand, most are from the 80's. Obviously ensure there are no major mechanical problems. But also some more "minor" maintenance issues that people overlook, like chain condition, tires, battery, suspension maintenance etc. This stuff can get overlooked when you are focused on the engine, but really cost you if you have to retire it and buy a chain.

Here's a bike for you off bargian finder......89 GSXR 750 41k blue/wht, new front tire & chain in 04 new rear 05, K&N filters, runs great, good starter, $1800 obo, 403 669 1489

There is also a katana in there for 1700, so the price is right on your buddies bike.......