PDA

View Full Version : compustar vs Viper

chrisgushue
01-29-2003, 12:49 PM
What are the main differences in reliability an dfeatures between the viper pager/alarm/starter vs the compustar pager/alarm/starter? a guy at visions sai dthat the compustar has a 18% failure rate while the viper has only a 1% failure rate, i dunno if thats true since they only sell viper but does anyone know? thanks

That.Guy.S30
01-29-2003, 01:02 PM
my compustar has never failed on me.. its could be possibly becuz visions doenst carry compustar?.. or do they? i havent been there for awhile..
it could also depend on how good of a install it was..
but im thinkin of gettin the new viper since it has the pager/ perimeter warning.. but it costs so much compared to the compustar..

Autodream
01-29-2003, 03:28 PM
I have been installing and selling both viper and compustar. The first 3 viper 790XV that I have sold so far hasn't come back yet but I also sell about 10 compustar per week and only about 6 came back for some minor problems like shock sensors or reprogramming. so for problems with compustar there is no problems to be aware of.

prophet_ca
02-14-2003, 02:28 AM
i don't know about the viper 790xv, but my compustar lcd cracked and bleed out everywhere.. now i have to pay 200 for a new one

Ajay
02-14-2003, 03:08 AM
If I can get the Viper 790 to work with my manual Honda I'm getting that one for my car!

I have a feeling the person I'm gonna talk to to install it for me will do it no problems as well!

I really like the Compustar unit but as far as reliability and quality goes, can't go wrong with anything made by DEI!

95acc
02-14-2003, 08:49 AM
DO NOT put the viper in you standard unless you like getting sued by the person it runs over when you leave it gear. oh you say you NEVER park in gear, well there is a first time for everything, and this does happen. Don't be a dumbass just get the copustar and be done with it.There are no quality issues with it, they invented the 2-way lcd alarm/starter, if there are going to be bugs they will be in the brand new viper unit.

boi-alien
02-14-2003, 11:54 AM
compustar is the only way to go

Ajay
02-14-2003, 02:02 PM
I ALWAYS leave my car in gear. It's a habit since my valet days.

But even with the Compustar I would have to develop the habit of leaving it out of gear anyway.

95acc
02-14-2003, 10:22 PM
yes so when the viper goes in and you leave it in gear hit the start and BAM your car runs over some little kid, Shit that sounds like a REAL good idea to me!!

CrAzY_PLaYa
02-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by 95acc
yes so when the viper goes in and you leave it in gear hit the start and BAM your car runs over some little kid, Shit that sounds like a REAL good idea to me!!

e-brake?

Ajay
02-16-2003, 09:16 PM
I got the 790XV for super cheap from a friend of mine....well actually I got it for free for now, gotta pay him back when I get some cash.

I have a manual but I'm not a dumbass....I'm breaking my habit of leaving it in gear just cause even if I got the Compustar I'de have to do that anyway. Sure the Compustar can be programmed not to start when it's in gear but even if I got it I would leave it out of gear anyway.

Talked to an installer I know...said he'll do it for me under the table but if I get in trouble like you mentioned he doesn't know me. Which is absolutely fair.

But like I said...I'm not a dumbass!

lammer
02-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by CrAzY_PLaYa

e-brake?

car still moves in a way doesn't it?

Ajay
02-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Ebrake with a manual that's in gear and has a car starter is gonna have the same effect as compared ot when you have the ebrake on and you physically start your car while in gear and forget that it's in gear. It lurches forward.

But with a car starter alot of the times if it's in gear it won't start obviously but it'll lurch forward and keep lurching and keep lurching and keep lurching. That's one of the reasons why DEI says their products are designed soley for automatics. No lurching in an auto so no worries about lawsuits!

CanadaCivicSIR
02-17-2003, 01:05 PM
DEI is the biggest alarm company in the world, you can't go wrong with a DEI product.

They own almost every alarm company there is!!!

I love my Viper 790!!!

Ajay
02-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by CanadaCivicSIR
DEI is the biggest alarm company in the world, you can't go wrong with a DEI product.

They own almost every alarm company there is!!!

I love my Viper 790!!!

I agree with that completely. Even the keyless entry systems on a Ferrari are made by DEI. Gotta be producing good products if companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini use DEI products!

Is your car an auto or manual?

Weapon_R
02-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Every manual alarm/starter combo i've ever used works along these lines:

You have to somehow "program it" by having the e-brake in the upwards position, among some other small task. If this is not done, the starter WILL NOT WORK. I don't see how anyone will get run over if you follow this simple task.

With my starter:

I have to turn off the headlights. Then pull the ebrake. Then push start on the remote, and take the key out of the ignition. Easy as that. Sure it's a hassle, but sure as hell beats finding your car a few blocks down the road. If this isn't done, the car won't start.

If you are stupid to install a starter that doesn't require you to put it in ready mode, then you deserve to have a lawsuit on your ass. Spend a few dollars more, and have the starter know when you are in neutral, and when you are in gear.

CanadaCivicSIR
02-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

I agree with that completely. Even the keyless entry systems on a Ferrari are made by DEI. Gotta be producing good products if companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini use DEI products!

Is your car an auto or manual?

Auto

szw
02-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I have to turn off the headlights. Then pull the ebrake. Then push start on the remote, and take the key out of the ignition. Easy as that. Sure it's a hassle, but sure as hell beats finding your car a few blocks down the road. If this isn't done, the car won't start.

Unless your ready mode also makes sure your car must be in neutral, seems kinda useless.

Weapon_R
02-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by szw

Unless your ready mode also makes sure your car must be in neutral, seems kinda useless.

Thats a given. The engine stays on even if I take out my keys, and shuts off when I shut the door. Then it's ready

Autodream
02-20-2003, 10:12 AM
please don't assume that you will be the only one that drive the car. What if you bring it in for service, told the guy not to park it in gear but those dumpass never read what on their work order anyway. park it in gear, then accidently hit the start button. the car won't drive down the street but it will jump quite far. but they can sue you for it. think about it.