PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Oilers Vs. Calgary Flames

suranga
08-03-2005, 11:23 PM
In the upcoming NHL season the Oilers will face off against the Flames 8 times. It’s already building up to be quite a battle. Post your predictions for both teams here, in their (1) head to head battle, and (2) overall ranking in the western conference.

I’m predicting:
(1) 4-4 split in the head to head
(2) Oilers ranked 4th, Calgary 6th

88CRX
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
1 - Calgary 6 wins / Edmonton 2 wins

2 - Calgary 5th / Edmonton 9th

alky1987
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
its gonna be awesome. i say 5-3 for the series for calgary and Edmonton ranked 7th while calgary ranked 5th

SuPhistiKatEd
08-03-2005, 11:26 PM
(1) 6-2 in favour of Calgary.
(2) Calgary ranked 3rd, Edmonton 7th.

GDCivicSi
08-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by suranga
In the upcoming NHL season the Oilers will face off against the Flames 8 times. It’s already building up to be quite a battle. Post your predictions for both teams here, in their (1) head to head battle, and (2) overall ranking in the western conference.

I’m predicting:
(1) 4-4 split in the head to head
(2) Oilers ranked 4th, Calgary 6th
hahaha...
Edmonton is not going to get home ice advantage in the playoffs with Ty Conklin as their starting goaltender.

(1) 5-3 in favour of Calgary.
(2) Calgary ranked 5th, Edmonton 9th.

88CRX
08-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GDCivicSi

hahaha...
Edmonton is not going to get home ice advantage in the playoffs with Ty Conklin as their starting goaltender.

(1) 5-3 in favour of Calgary.
(2) Calgary ranked 5th, Edmonton 9th.

no but they have pronger and peca and staos and the smyths :rofl:

i think the oiler fans are beating around the goaltending issues just a weeeee bit :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aleks
08-04-2005, 07:21 AM
1) Calgary 7, Edmonton 1.
2) Calgary ranked 4th, Edmonton 10th.

sputnik
08-04-2005, 07:27 AM
1) Calgary 7-1 (Conklin will be useless in shootouts)
2) Calgary 3rd / Edmonton 9th

heavyD
08-04-2005, 07:41 AM
1) Calgary takes season series 5 - 3
2) Calgary 4th, Edmonton 8th

I am a realist here. Vancouver, Denver, & L.A. are probably gonna take 1 - 3 in the West. Edmonton should squeak into the playoffs but that is a big 'IF' their goaltending doesn't fall apart as Goalie magazine had them ranked 28 out of 30 for goaltenders.

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM
1)edmonton wins series 5-3
2)edmonton 5th, calgary 7th

Jussi Markkannen steps it up this year and has a 1.65GAA...hahaha...

Aleks
08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
^^ Ju'll see how wrong you are later this year :rofl: :rofl:

sputnik
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Kimchee
1)edmonton wins series 5-3
2)edmonton 5th, calgary 7th

Jussi Markkannen steps it up this year and has a 1.65GAA...hahaha...

... and your hyundai will be running 12s in the 1/4 mile

:rofl:

keep dreaming

limecorrado
08-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

no but they have pronger and peca and staos and the smyths :rofl:

i think the oiler fans are beating around the goaltending issues just a weeeee bit :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I Can't wait for the wheels to fall off kipper like they did with Turek.

Depth wise oiler have an edge, i'd like to see calgary's success without iggy and kipper or without gelinas clutch goals in the playoffs.

lastprodigy
08-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by limecorrado

I Can't wait for the wheels to fall off kipper like they did with Turek.

Depth wise oiler have an edge, i'd like to see calgary's success without iggy and kipper or without gelinas clutch goals in the playoffs.

i sort of agree here....kipper needs to prove himself for at least another year before being considered one of the premier goaltenders....tonnes of players have had one amazig year then gone away, but well see i guess.........

well as predicted this thread turned into calgary ppl wv. edmonton ppl with just opinions not predictions..haha......GO CANUCKS!

limecorrado
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I Don't think either team will make it past the the 2nd round anyway.

heavyD
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Depth wise? Flames had to get rid of Commodore without even adding any new defensemen just because they don't have enough room. Lankow, Igninla, Reinprecht, Amonte, Kobasew, Nilson, Simon, Yelle, Lombardi, Donovan, etc. Oilers can't match that as they have a couple of skilled palyers but two of the most skilled; Hemski & Dvorak are soft. No soft players on the Flames.

BTW: Flames didn't need Gelina's clutch goals to make the playoffs did they.:poosie:

limecorrado
08-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Oilers had scoring on every line. And calgary would not have made it nearly as far in the playoffs without Genilas goals in ot.

WOW 5 points back of Calgary in the regular season, calgary had half their team on a career year i can't think of an oiler that played above average.

I think 5 points hardly make the calgary flames the team of the century.:thumbsdow

On a side note, i do enjoy watching the flames when the oilers are'nt on.They work very hard.So i'm not a hater, i'm just trying to see how they became the NHL allstar team in the minds of some flames fans.

sputnik
08-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Oilers had scoring on every line. And calgary would not have made it nearly as far in the playoffs without Genilas goals in ot.

WOW 5 points back of Calgary in the regular season, calgary had half their team on a career year i can't think of an oiler that played above average.

I think 5 points hardly make the calgary flames the team of the century.:thumbsdow

On a side note, i do enjoy watching the flames when the oilers are'nt on.They work very hard.So i'm not a hater, i'm just trying to see how they became the NHL allstar team in the minds of some flames fans.

I figured this was worth reposting. Gelinas was nothing special. I am sure any other player could have put the puck in the net if the scenario was exactly the same. Most of his "clutch" goals were banging in a rebound not some sniper shot from centre ice. Anyhow here is what i predict for the 05/06 Flames. Anyone willing to put together an Edmonton lineup to see how the Oil stacks up?

Line 1 - Amonte/Langkow/Iginla
Line 2 - Reinprecht/Lombard/Donovan
Line 3 - Nilson/Yelle/Clark
Line 4 - Simon/Wiemer/McCarty

D1 - Regehr/Leopold
D2 - Lydman/Warrener
D3 - Ference/Phaneuf

G - Kiprusoff/Krahn

Extras - Loyns (LW), Ritchie (C), Kobasew (RW), Montador (D)

Tough as to chemistry. Lots of centers that can play the wing, but few natural left-wingers to speak of. I still think that fourth line would kick ass. Put them up against Dvorak-Pisani-Hemsky and see what happens.

Rufus``
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
hmm nice lines ^^^

the main reason that calgary made it so far thru the playoffs was that they were confident in themselves enough to keep attacking during OT vs van city and the wings, one guy doesnt make a difference if the whole team isnt fireing.

Calgary will win series 6-2
Calgary will be 4th, edmonton 11th

edmonton might as well put a beach ball in front of the net instead of conklin. they didnt fill their gaps the way they should have. kevin lowe doesnt have much hockey sense, it seems, even with the cap evening things out for the teams.

sutter played his cards right, and if kipper keeps cool all season and doesnt get injured, it should be a great season with iggy, amonte, simon, yelle, regher, leopold etc ripping it up

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 10:45 AM
1) smyth/peca/dvorak
2) torres/horcoff/Hemsky
3) Pisani/reasoner/stoll
4) moreau/chimera/laraque

1) Pronger/Staios
2) Smith/Bergeron
3) Cross/Semenov

tenders) markkannen/conklin

extras: Rita, Harvey

4th line has amazing speed (besides laraque) and lotsa grit....we'll see how the teams do...the oil look like they're in a good position though.....

dericer
08-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I figured this was worth reposting. Gelinas was nothing special. I am sure any other player could have put the puck in the net if the scenario was exactly the same. Most of his "clutch" goals were banging in a rebound not some sniper shot from centre ice. Anyhow here is what i predict for the 05/06 Flames. Anyone willing to put together an Edmonton lineup to see how the Oil stacks up?

Line 1 - Amonte/Langkow/Iginla
Line 2 - Reinprecht/Lombard/Donovan
Line 4 - Simon/Wiemer/McCarty

D1 - Regehr/Leopold
D2 - Lydman/Warrener
D3 - Ference/Phaneuf

G - Kiprusoff/Krahn

Extras - Loyns (LW), Ritchie (C), Kobasew (RW), Montador (D)

Tough as to chemistry. Lots of centers that can play the wing, but few natural left-wingers to speak of. I still think that fourth line would kick ass. Put them up against Dvorak-Pisani-Hemsky and see what happens.

:werd:

But I'd change one thing

D1 - Regehr/Phaneuf (Like Suter/MacInnis accept lets see anybody try to get into our zone)
D2 - Lydman/Leopold
D3- Ference/Warrener

IMO anyways

Flames going to take the series 5-3

Flames- 4th

Oilers- 8th (we have to admit that playing Pronger / Peca 8 times ain't going to be easy no matter who they got in net)

Kimchee
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM

4) moreau/chimera/laraque

[/B]

shitty, forgot that chimera's gone...

heavyD
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM

Besides Donovan & maybe Kipper (maybe because he has no prior years of starting to compare), no Flames had a career year. Their best player Iggy actually dropped in production.

toyboy88
08-04-2005, 12:53 PM
1) 6-2 for the flames
2)cgy=4/5th while edm=8/9th

duffspec
08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
1) 6-2 for the Flames
2) Calgary 5th Edmonton 8th

AznDragon2004
08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Imagine a Flames vs Edmonton first round playoffs. That would be insane and awesome to watch!!!

This could actually happen this year then the previous years.

Hakkola
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Hmmm, I think the series will be a draw, and Edmonton and Calgary will probably just squeek into the playoffs with the 7th and 8th spots, not in any specific order.

Kiprusoff will have a good year, he did very well in Europe this winter. What I'm worried about is the grit level of our team, it might be too high. With the nhl cracking down on obstruction I think the Flames penalties will sky rocket, although this may be true for all teams in the league, with the added skill of Amonte this might end up being good for the flames, maybe.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Anybody know what Kiprusoff's breakaway save percentage was, and how it stacked up with the rest of the league? I think shoot out's will be a huge factor by the end of the season.

suranga
08-04-2005, 10:23 PM
oops

mac_82
08-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Why is Edmonton trading so much instead of signing free agents? Just curious.

suranga
08-04-2005, 10:35 PM
They are about to sign kariya. Mark my words.

SikAssR1
08-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Clark's going to Washington for future considerations

DelSoln
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Wow I can't believe how some of you flames fans can discount what Gelinas did for your team so easily. Yes we all know it is a team game but some players thrive in the pressure while others shy away. In fact, that cheap shot artist Claude Lemieux made a career of being one of those type of guys. Anyways, Gelinas was definitely a clutch player that saved his best when it mattered most. As for the oilers players being soft, yes there is no discounting that. However with the rule changes these type of players will be the ones to benefit with the open ice. Well getting back on topic once again, I think the flames will win the season series 5-3 and that both teams will make the playoffs. Damn I really wish Lowe got a goalie though.

mac_82
08-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Gelinas was great, don't get me wrong. Sure when you compare stats Amonte may better, but that is just on paper. Gelinas was great for the Flames, we will miss him that is for sure. Plus wasn't he the fittest Flame at training camp 03/04? Legs of steel. :eek:

I see the Flames winning the series 5-3. Here is how I see the west shaping up:

1. San Jose - pacific
2. Vancouver- nw
3. St. Louis - central
4. Detroit
5. Calgary
6. Dallas
7. Colorado
8. Edmonton
--------------------
9. Anaheim
10. Phoenix
11. LA
12. Minnesota

Kimchee
08-05-2005, 08:12 AM
muahahahha.....unbelievable if this happens

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=81ec028d-1a01-4b8c-ac26-39bbb642d26e

sputnik
08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
muahahahha.....unbelievable if this happens

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=81ec028d-1a01-4b8c-ac26-39bbb642d26e

Lowe is going to have to dump some talent to be able to afford Kariya. They are already sitting at $22M with quite a few unsigned players. Not to mention the fact that Kariya would need probably $4-5M.

Kimchee
08-05-2005, 09:01 AM
true....id like to see reasoner out for handzus....get some more size upfront....

and get messier for a bag of pucks and a bag of lays.....

natejj
08-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Calgary 6
Edmonton 2

Calgary Ranked 6th

Edmonton ranked 9th

fordo_11
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Series 5-3 for the Flames, Flames-4th Oilers-8th. All Western Canadian teams will make the playoffs, and will lead to some wicked Canadian playoff battles.

heavyD
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by DelSoln
Wow I can't believe how some of you flames fans can discount what Gelinas did for your team so easily.

Nobody is discounting what he did in the playoffs but in the regular season he was pretty ho-hum and even spent a bit of time in Sutter's doghouse. Remember all those rebound clutch goals he scored was also a "right place at the righ time" thing as Iggy was on the ice getting the attention from the defensemen leaving Gelinas by himself. Take a look at the Vancouver & Detroit overtime winners. Both times the defensemen were pre-occupied with Iggy. Of course a non-clutch player like Robert Reichel would still miss those chances but I have a hard time believing that Reinprecht, Amonte, or Langkow wouldn't have scored those same goals if presented the same opportunities. Having the best player in the league on your line opens up a lot of opportunities for his linemates to overachieve.

v8killah
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
yah it does... to bad iggy isnt the best in the league.

also gelinas did alot more than just get those right place atg the right time goals.

he was a crowd favorite, and worked harder than anyone in the corners, i don't think amonte can follow that up as wel.l

heavyD
08-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by v8killah

also gelinas did alot more than just get those right place atg the right time goals.

he was a crowd favorite, and worked harder than anyone in the corners, i don't think amonte can follow that up as wel.l

Well if the Hockey News considers Iggy the best player in the world, I'm happy to agree with them.

88CRX
08-05-2005, 04:33 PM

so who is better then?

mac_82
08-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Iggy is top 5 in the NHL right now for sure. There is no one else I would have on my team. Top 5 this year will be:

-Inginla
-Forsberg
-Naslund
-Kovalchuck
-Nash

88CRX
08-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
Iggy is top 5 in the NHL right now for sure. There is no one else I would have on my team. Top 5 this year will be:

-Inginla
-Forsberg
-Naslund
-Kovalchuck
-Nash

fair enough... and since i love hockey talk i'm gonna argue this too :rofl:

Forsberg is injury prone.

Naslund isnt gritty enough, although he has more pure scoring/dangling skill then iggi.

Kovalchuk isnt a 'team' player, somewhat of a puck hog, you know what i mean. From what i've heard he's not THAT physical, although i dont think i've seen him play in the nhl yet.

Nash..... inexperinced... but he might just be iggi's replacement for best player in a year or two.

Only player i'd consider dealing Iginla for would be Martin Brodeur.

v8killah
08-05-2005, 05:41 PM
1. Joe thornton
2. todd bertuzzi
3. iggy
4. pronger
5. modano

crazyning
08-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Here's an argument against Rick Nash, he's always a minus in the plus/minus column. 2003/2004 season: -35.

Doesn't play defense.

Leekiwwi
08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Heres another argument for Nash and Kovalchuk.

ones 21, while the other is only 22

88CRX
08-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Leekiwwi
Heres another argument for Nash and Kovalchuk.

ones 21, while the other is only 22

their age is both a good and a bad thing

SOAB
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
1. Joe thornton
2. todd bertuzzi
3. iggy
4. pronger
5. modano

Bertuzzi better than Iggy?? :nut:

hustler
08-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by suranga
They are about to sign kariya. Mark my words.

ouch sorry buddy looks like the wheels fell off your little deal

Unrestricted free agent forward Paul Kariya has signed a two-year deal worth $4.5 US million per year with the Nashville Predators.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132540

88CRX
08-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

Bertuzzi better than Iggy?? :nut:

bert is a hack and a dirty hockey player

Team_Mclaren
08-05-2005, 11:50 PM
1. Joe thornton
2. todd bertuzzi
3. iggy
4. pronger
5. modano

wow, do you actually watch hockey or are you just some bandwagon jumper?

- Thornton is good, if you want to rank him up there I have no problem with it.
- Bertuzzi is a cheap fuck, he's not a *pure*goal scorer or *skilled player, he's more like a physical persent for the forward line.
- Pronger was argueably the best D man there was, but after the injury season, he's not the same anymore.
- Modano was good... like 5 years ago when the Dallas won the cup....

mac_82
08-05-2005, 11:59 PM
1. Joe thornton
2. todd bertuzzi
3. iggy
4. pronger
5. modano

here is where you best 5 players finished in nhl scoring in 03/04

thorton - 18th (23 G, 50A - 73 PTS)
bertuzzi - 35th (17G, 43A - 60 PTS)
iginla - 16th (41G, 32A - 73 PTS)
pronger - 57th (14G, 40A - 54 PTS)
modano - 111th (14G, 30A - 44 PTS)

I have to agree with team_mclaren, you have no idea what you are talking about. Atleast do some research before you pretend to know what you are talking about. :thumbsdow

v8killah
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I didnt pick my top 5 from a year of scoring. thats just my opinion... lets see yours.

mac_82
08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
here are mine I already posted them.

Iginla - will have another stellar season
Forsberg - will lead the Flyers to 1st in the east
Naslund - another season with Morrison and Bert, one of the top lines
Kovalchuck - gets better every year
Nash - less obstruction means Nash will light it up this year, possible scoring champ

My picks are not just based on scoring, they are based on the value these players have to their team. Where would Calgary be without Iggy, the best overall player in the NHL?

Leekiwwi
08-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
here are mine I already posted them.

Iginla - will have another stellar season
Forsberg - will lead the Flyers to 1st in the east
Naslund - another season with Morrison and Bert, one of the top lines
Kovalchuck - gets better every year
Nash - less obstruction means Nash will light it up this year, possible scoring champ

My picks are not just based on scoring, they are based on the value these players have to their team. Where would Calgary be without Iggy, the best overall player in the NHL?

Finally, someone who seems like he knows what he is talking about!!!
Thank you!!!

Also, honourable mention goes to Dany Heatley!
and although Joe Thorton is a beast behind the net, having less space behind there is not a good thing for him. And he suked it up in the playoffs for a franchise player.

pinoyhero
08-07-2005, 10:13 AM

fair enough... and since i love hockey talk i'm gonna argue this too :rofl:

Forsberg is injury prone.

Naslund isnt gritty enough, although he has more pure scoring/dangling skill then iggi.

Kovalchuk isnt a 'team' player, somewhat of a puck hog, you know what i mean. From what i've heard he's not THAT physical, although i dont think i've seen him play in the nhl yet.

Nash..... inexperinced... but he might just be iggi's replacement for best player in a year or two.

Only player i'd consider dealing Iginla for would be Martin Brodeur.

I agree with almost all these comments expect Iggy for Brouder? Come on that's just wrong.

/////AMG
08-07-2005, 10:31 AM
So when is the first game? I need to know when I can start downloading.

mac_82
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
-

mac_82
08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Pre-Season

Fri. Sept. 16, 2005 @ Edmonton
Fri. Sept. 23, 2005 VS Edmonton
Tues. Sept. 27, 2005 @ Edmonton
Wed. Sept. 28, 2005 VS Edmonton

Regular Season

Sat. Oct. 15, 2005 VS Edmonton
Thu. Oct. 20, 2005 VS Edmonton
Fri. Nov. 25, 2005 VS Edmonton
Mon. Dec. 19, 2005 @ Edmonton
Sat. Dec. 31, 2005 VS Edmonton
Mon. Jan. 23, 2006 @ Edmonton
Thu. Mar. 16, 2006 @ Edmonton
Sat. Apr. 1, 2006 @ Edmonton

/////AMG
08-08-2005, 12:15 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks

C4S
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
um .... probaby

2-2-4 I am sure lots of tie game between these two teams .. ( I have to say, I am a Oilers fan :D )

and Oilers -> 6th, flames -> 7th ..

hopefully, will see both teams in playoff ..

:D

tapout
08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
1 - Calgary 6 wins / Edmonton 2 wins

2 - Calgary 5th / Edmonton 9th :werd:

SOAB
08-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by C4S
um .... probaby

2-2-4 I am sure lots of tie game between these two teams .. ( I have to say, I am a Oilers fan :D )

and Oilers -> 6th, flames -> 7th ..

hopefully, will see both teams in playoff ..

:D

tie game? forgot about the shoot-outs already?

Nite_Rydah
08-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Season series:
Oil 5 - Flames 3

Standings:
Oil 4th - Flames 5th

I can't wait for the season to start! The war of words has already begun, it's a healthy rivalry though. I'm sure both Albertan teams will have an even stronger fan-base in the years to come. I hope all Canadian teams make the playoffs.

I hope Dion Phaneuf has a solid year on the Flames side.

GO OILERS!

Nissanaddict
08-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Series
Flames 6
Oilers 2

Standings
Flames 3
Oilers 7

Although I've been a casual hockey fan for a while, and haven't started reading into things recently, so I may be way off.

dericer
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
The Flames are stacked this year.

Name a better team in the West?

That includes signed players and amazing front office staff

If you say Vancouver, you should get smacked.