PDA

View Full Version : DeVry?

Canmorite
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Anyone here attend DeVry? Business students maybe? I'm looking to start into business this September.

Just looking for some thoughts.

5hift
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
With the large number of students taking business at every actually credible university/college, I wouldnt suggest going into that at Devry. I may be wrong about the business field, but I know for the Computer field specificly for my company, any resumes with devry mentioned on it go straight to the paper recycler.

A790
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
DeVry = stay away.

Ajay
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I went to DeVry for two semesters and it was a waste of time and money. I was doing the Computer Information System program but DeVry is DeVry.....should be called DeCrap.

I have a friend who works for Shaw and anytime a resume crosses his desk and DeVry is listed for education they trash it. The irony is he actually graduated DeVry as well!

If you're doing business do it elsewhere. UofC is ridiculous to get into but a couple of my friends have gone the MRC route for a couple years and then UofL for the last couple. Better schools out there for business besides DeVry. Save your time and money and research others before you go to DeVry. Plus if you ever plan on taking other courses from other schools (i.e. obtaining a masters) most schools don't give you credit for any courses you may have taken at DeVry. I found that out the hard way.

eblend
08-04-2005, 08:34 PM
if you are just going directly out of highschool then getting into business at uofc is not that bad, if your doing transfers its hard as they only accept like 160 or so students for 3rd year transfer. I got a 3.6 and got it but even then i was scared shitless that i wasn't gonna make it

Mr_John
08-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Only heard horrible stories about Devry.
Go to SAIT or MRC if UofC is not an option.

kaput
08-04-2005, 09:01 PM

Weapon_R
08-04-2005, 09:11 PM
The bottom line is that you go to school to land a good job. A growing number of employers are trashing Devry resumes the minute they see them. Good luck.

Z24_3.1
08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
my bro went to devry and they took 40gs from him and they never gave him his diploma or w\\e they are the biggest rip in the world id stay away and go to sait or somehting

Z24_3.1
08-04-2005, 11:33 PM
oh and all they kept asking is for more and more and more money but now hes almost done paying it off and hes a realtor haha if u guys needa house u know pm me ill get him to hook u up

googe
08-05-2005, 01:00 AM
i know a devry CIS grad that makes milkshakes
he didnt seem to have much good to say

WhiteNikes
08-05-2005, 01:12 AM
I know coupla females bin went to Devry. Onna bes a moms in Jamacia, a next one hit up SAIT one ain't find no job for 'bout a year, female #4 found somekinda joint in her field. One next cat ain't spend but 2 years there 'fore he decide they ain't teachin' him nuthin.

USHER
08-05-2005, 02:02 AM
:english:

Canmorite
08-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow. Bad reviews all around. Maybe i'll stay away from this place.

EK 2.0
08-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by WhiteNikes
I know coupla females bin went to Devry. Onna bes a moms in Jamacia, a next one hit up SAIT one ain't find no job for 'bout a year, female #4 found somekinda joint in her field. One next cat ain't spend but 2 years there 'fore he decide they ain't teachin' him nuthin.

Originally posted by USHER
:english:

I dun got the ish he spit...

Canmorite
08-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Anybody have any reccomendations for where to take business courses then? I've heard UofC, SAIT and MRC. Thanks guys/gals.

5hift
08-06-2005, 08:19 AM
If you are coming straight out of highschool with good marks, I would say try for U of C. If you've already taken some post secondary or didnt have the greatest highschool marks, your best bet would be to do the transfer program through MRC. I think you can do 2 years there and then the final two from Lethbridge or UofC depending on your MRC grades. I could be wrong but I dont think Sait is the place to go for business school.

pr0
08-06-2005, 08:49 AM
My dad fucking kicked me out of my home because I choose to go to MRC and do the transfer program instead of DeVry. What an idiot.

Canmorite
08-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
If you are coming straight out of highschool with good marks, I would say try for U of C. If you've already taken some post secondary or didnt have the greatest highschool marks, your best bet would be to do the transfer program through MRC. I think you can do 2 years there and then the final two from Lethbridge or UofC depending on your MRC grades. I could be wrong but I dont think Sait is the place to go for business school.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go to MRC first, then to U of C or some other university. If my MRC grades are high, do I have a good chance of getting accepted to U of C?

Thanks.

EK 2.0
08-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by pr0
My dad fucking kicked me out of my home because I choose to go to MRC and do the transfer program instead of DeVry. What an idiot.

Well as a U of C Alum...the U and MRC don't have cool commercials like DeVry and the like...thats probably why he did what he did...

Gurpy
08-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Whenever I see an ad for a college I know I won't go there...I think i've decided on working my ass off and going to the uofc, but think about it, what kind of an employer is going to take you seriously if on your resume you have "Devry, JUST LIKE IN THOSE ADS!!" I know many years from now when I start my own small business I won't hire anyone that went to devry.

kaput
08-06-2005, 06:02 PM

outrageousrich
08-06-2005, 07:17 PM
yo man stay away from Devry, i went there and it is a waist of money, i didnt learn anything, Devry is not recognized here maybe in the states. You will have a hard time finding a job if you go there. Go to SAIT of U of C. You'll end up with a mcdonald's management job, but if thats your thing go ahead. just my opinion.

kaput
08-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Canmorite
08-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go to MRC first, then to U of C or some other university. If my MRC grades are high, do I have a good chance of getting accepted to U of C?

Thanks.

Weapon_R
08-06-2005, 10:41 PM
No you don't.

FishPoo
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I know of two people who transferred from MRC last year into UofC for business, one of which was in my group...

I believe they required.. 3.7s+ to get in... I can't quite remember.

The U of L route will be definitely easier to get into and should probably be one of your top alternatives.

Canmorite
08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by FishPoo
I know of two people who transferred from MRC last year into UofC for business, one of which was in my group...

I believe they required.. 3.7s+ to get in... I can't quite remember.

The U of L route will be definitely easier to get into and should probably be one of your top alternatives.

That's what I have read as well. One of the transfer programs from MRC is to U of L. I see that U of C has the Haskayne (sp?) school of business which looks very good. Anyone dealt with them?

Thanks.

Gainsbarre
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

That's what I have read as well. One of the transfer programs from MRC is to U of L. I see that U of C has the Haskayne (sp?) school of business which looks very good. Anyone dealt with them?

Thanks.

I'm in Haskayne and I can't really recommend it. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

googe
08-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by kaput

You'll be glad he kicked you out before you went to Devry instead of after when he'll figure your finished school and shouldn't have any problems finding a job.

i think you read his post wrong. he got kicked out for NOT going to devry it says.

kaput
08-07-2005, 08:13 PM

crazyning
08-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

I'm in Haskayne and I can't really recommend it. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

Devry definitely isn't a good choice, but why is it that you wouldn't recommend Haskayne?

Xtrema
08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
1. Stay out of DeVry. Not a highly respected private school that'll cost you a bundle more because they don't have government subsidies like SAIT/MRC/UC.

2. Don't go to U of C for business if you have other options. Too many students competing for too little seats for average quality education @ top tier price. Accounting grads usually do quite well but I can't say the same for others. Usually end up back in some crappy jobs that don't need a degree anyway.

3. Try to get into a Universtiy if you can. MRC transfer students always get last dips and that usually mean you have to be like top of your class. It's not any easier being in U of C but at least you're not 2nd class citizen.

But again, you're asking these kind of questions in the beginning of August for a semester starting in Sep. I hope you step it up a notch with a decision next few days because you may be a bit late to get in for Fall.

Canmorite
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I know...It is late, but I am researching tons. This thread and members on the board has helped me a lot.

Where would you reccomind for business then, Xtrema? What Uni? Thanks!

Xtrema
08-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I've out of school for a while. All I can say is that my sister didn't think very highly of UC education she graduate from. As I do have lots of friends who completed business (non-accounting) end up with jobs that doesn't justify the cost of education.

I think Simon Fraser out in BC is one of better business school in the country. But I can tell you Accounting is definitely hot field to graduate from. Guaranteed employement.

And of course, definitely business is da place for hooking up with chicks. Sciences and engineering are such sausage fests. :thumbsup:

NRGetic
08-28-2005, 02:32 AM
You can also enroll in a distance ed program in business at Athabasca University. You can work and study part time if that or just study full time. I dont think devry's degrees are accredited but I could be wrong.

lastskpirate
09-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I challenge you to find someone who has a good word to say about Devry.

i'll challenge it....my bro went there for Computer Engineering Tech ..... he was employed a month after graduating and making good money.....so who says nobody hires Devry Grads....