PDA

View Full Version : question about accidents and appraising

LUDELVR
01-29-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm just wondering cuz my insurance told me to go to a certain place for an appraisal but I'm wondering if it's possible to go elsewhere? They said I can choose to go to any body shop for repairs but I have to go to this appraisal place? I'm just curious cuz I don't want the insurance compay to send me to a place where they're gonna say that the repairs shouldn't be that much, and then yah, I get to go to any body shop I want, but what good is the dollar ninety nine that the insurance company gave me gonna be worth besides half a happy meal!!??:dunno:

max_boost
01-29-2003, 11:01 PM
They want an accurate estimate so you can't scam them you fool!

Just go and get some estimates from a couple different shops.....

szw
01-29-2003, 11:03 PM
the appraisal is just the estimate from the body shop..you can get as many as you like. Once you find one you like, tell the bodyshop OK, and they usuall call the insurance company for you and sends them the pictures/report. They may or may not send someone to check with the car in the shop.

LUDELVR
01-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
They want an accurate estimate so you can't scam them you fool!

Just go and get some estimates from a couple different shops.....

dude, I think it's different when there's more than one vehicle involved in the collision!
hahahahahha

But seriously, they said to me to go a specific place (an appraisal place) and then I can go to a "bodyshop" to have the work done. I just can't exceed the dollar amount that the "appraisal place" quoted.

szw
01-29-2003, 11:47 PM
what kinda place did they send you to? do they just do appraisals or is it a bodyshop?

Last time i was in an accident, it was the other guys fault.

I actually called up the guys insurance company, talked to someone, and they told me you can go anywhere you like, the shop will appraise it and tell the insurance co, then they have to OK it, then they start working on your car.

boi-alien
01-29-2003, 11:50 PM
i remember whenever i got into an accident you're told to bring the car to a few different bodyshops and you pick the one you want the work to be done.

your insurance really shouldn't matter that much because it's not your insurance that pays you, it's the party at fault's insurance that pays you.

LUDELVR
01-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by crxboi
i remember whenever i got into an accident you're told to bring the car to a few different bodyshops and you pick the one you want the work to be done.

your insurance really shouldn't matter that much because it's not your insurance that pays you, it's the party at fault's insurance that pays you.

Yah, basically the insurance lady said that once i get the appraisal, I have that amount to use at the body shop of my choice and I can just bring my car there and they'll fix it but it'll be on my insurance and once blame has been assessed then they'll reimburse me. So it will initally be charged to my insurance company. I asked if I could just wait to have it repaired until I know that it will be her company that will pay for it and she said that too was an option. Like hell i want my insurance paying for this, I don't want my shit to rise!!

jdmakkord
01-29-2003, 11:56 PM
get an appraisal done at contemporary coachworks, and some other reputable shops. It is your choice who fixes your car, and that company will charge the insurance of the person at fault.

LUDELVR
01-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
get an appraisal done at contemporary coachworks, and some other reputable shops. It is your choice who fixes your car, and that company will charge the insurance of the person at fault.

I'm aware that I can go to any body shop, that's what they told me, I'm just confused as to the estimate cuz they specifically said to go to "Senteniel Appraisals".

szw
01-30-2003, 12:05 AM
you can also get reimbursed for a rental car while your car is bieng repaired. usually beats the courtesy cars! I got maximum of $35/day (alero). We didn't like it, so asked for something else. They gave us a new camry, which is more than 35, but they said it was okay since they do business with the insurance a lot.

spyderman
01-30-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't think you need to worry about the insurance company scamming you. Those appraisers they have are fairly accurrate, a lot of shops will fix the car very close to the range that they quote.

CVPP
01-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Bro, just ask them if you can take it to a dealer and see how much they would charge. Dealers charge a hell of a lot more then normal but since they are dealers they can get away with it and they can't illegally scam you they just charge you out the ass. Just see if the insurance company will let you take it to a dealership that works on your type car. Or ask if you can take it to a few body shops and get the average qupte don't let the insurance company screw with you.

del-lude
01-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Most appraisers/ adjustors for insurance companies are trained appraisers for very well known body shops. They are very professional and are not gonna scam you. they are only there so you can't scam the insurance company. Basically once you bring your car to the body shop that you choose, they will do an estimate for you as well. The insurance company's appraiser just gives them a rough idea of what repairs are needed like for instance if you have previous damage on your car that was not caused by the accident, they're not gonna pay for it. They have their appraisers so you can't go to a body shop you know and get them to quote things that were not caused by the accident. Just get it appraised by them and then go get an appraisal from the shop you intend to bring it to and I guarantee the estimates will be very close. When I had mine done, the two parties were off by like $25.

350hp_or_Bust
01-30-2003, 10:00 AM
:werd: what del-lude said ...

You aren't required by law to take it to their specific appraisal shop, but you're better off cooperating or they could try to screw you... that said, MAKE SURE you get more than one appraisal .. go to at least 3 other shops for appraisals, including the one you'll most likely take your car to in the end.

HRD2PLZ
01-30-2003, 10:49 AM
I've never had to get any of me vehicles appraised (even when a city of calgary truck hit me). All I've ever had to do was get an estimate from 3 different body shops, fax the estimates to the other parties insurance and wait for authorization. Might just be this companies policy. If I were you though, I would wait until blame is assessed until you fix your car. It sounds wierd that they want your company to pay first then reimburse you later. Wait it out and see what happens. Insurance companies suck! They never look after their clients before looking after themselves :guns:

szw
01-30-2003, 11:22 AM
I've never had to get any of me vehicles appraised (even when a city of calgary truck hit me). All I've ever had to do was get an estimate from 3 different body shops, fax the estimates to the other parties insurance and wait for authorization.

WERD...twice, with two different insurance companies..same procedure, both their fault.

Light_Speed
01-30-2003, 11:29 AM
you can go to anyone you would like too
this happened to me and they wanted me to bring it to one of the ones they recommended but i just brought it to a better one