PDA

View Full Version : n00b car questions...

natejj
08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Alright, i can accept the fact im a car noob! Here are my following noob questions

1. There is tiny tiny tiny piece of rust at the back of my car! What are my options to halt its spread?

2. My car has coilovers. How hard is it to raise my car back up to its original height? Its currently lowered 1.5 inches in the front.

3. Winter tires... i need... people were saying something about steel rims? wtf are those?

4. My car doesnt have a horn. Where can i get a horn? How much is a horn? how hard is it to install a horn?

Thanks in advance :D.

90Tegra
08-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

natejj
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
My bad, how can i do that?

Khalil
08-05-2005, 09:45 PM
why to ask leo??

Steel rims or 'steelies' are the full steel black rims with little holes in them.

THey are commonly used in winter, so that you dont have to use your summer rims, or factory rims etc. and ruin them.

A horn can be found pretty much anywhere, i'd just go to your local pick your part. On this topic, they are very easy to install as well.

Audio_Rookie
08-05-2005, 10:08 PM
halting rust..it depends how far its gone through the metal...usually you can sand down the rust until there is shiny metal, and then primar and paint overtop of that.

coil-overs...your on your own man...have never had or used.

steelies, basically a steel wheel with winter tires on it that you can swap on your car in a few minutes. the point of steelies is to keep your nice rims stored somewhere for the winter so they dont get rusted, and to do whatever damage might come to the steelies (that plus they are usually thinner = better traction with narrower tire in winter)

Horn, any junk-yard with the same car....or local auto shop like autozone, autovalue, perp boys, napa, ect....
easy or not....usually pretty easy, although if its a compressed air horn installed like mine was it will be a B*!&# to install....would never have expected it to be that hard...

its atleast usually pretty self explanitory to replace, get the new part, find the part on your car...remove the part and put in the new one.

EK 2.0
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
move this to ask leo

:rolleyes:

Phy
08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Rust is like gangrene for your car. It's absolutely true what they say - rust NEVER sleeps. It's an electrochemical process, and the only real way to stop it is to grind it off, resurface and repaint, or to swap out the rusty bit entirely. (If it's structural or mechanical, you'll want to swap out.) Fortunately, unlike an arm or a leg, they make proper spare parts and resurfacers for cars.

Technically you're supposed to be able to slow it down by use of a sacrificial anode such as zinc, which will react more readily with atmospheric water and oxygen than would iron. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with cars. If you were worried about your boat it'd be a different matter.

Edit: A steelie also works well as a full-size spare, if you don't have (or don't want) the minispare that is often included with cars.

natejj
08-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Alright, i understand... heres a pic of the rust.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5592/rust5qh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

powerslave
08-05-2005, 11:40 PM
The spot doesn't look that bad, however it could've spread underneath the paint which would pose a bigger problem, but even then it shouldn't be too hard to take care of.
Like it was mentioned above ALL of the rust must be removed completely then primed/painted, otherwise it will come back.

PS. Thumbs up for a nice looking Rocco! :thumbsup: It's my car's older brother :D