PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much put into a car

2000impreza
01-29-2003, 11:11 PM
where do you guys draw the line of how much money spend on mods is too much?

here is my situation..... i've done everything i really want to do. next step is to get some sort of real engine management, manual tranny swap, and engine build up. but now i'm starting to really question if this is worth it since all these mods will add up to more than the value of the car itself....

ninjak84
01-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Keep going until you're happy with it.
Don't try to put a price tag on everything.

Redlyne_mr2
01-29-2003, 11:14 PM
ask yourself how much would it cost for you to buy a car that performs the same as you car does..I think this will help you to find your answer

turboMiata
01-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Undoubtedly, most of us have spent quite a bit on our cars. However, I get the most satisfaction from "getting there", that is, building up the car from stock and into something unique and personal. You can't really do that from buying an M3 or an S4 when it's already done up for you. I think even if I had a 996 turbo I'd still mod it up.

How much is enough? I'll stop when I get bored of it. Until then, keep the mods coming.

Tuner1
01-29-2003, 11:21 PM
It is too much $$ when you stop having fun. It can happen, I've been there. On some cars that could mean $500, but on others it might be $50, 000 :D

Rob

GTS Jeff
01-29-2003, 11:46 PM
i sort of have the same problem. on one hand, i want to blow all my cash on my car, but on the other hand, i know that im losing money when i do that, and it would suck if i were to sell the car a year later. but then again, i wouldnt have much money to buy a better car anyway...decisions decisions

boi-alien
01-29-2003, 11:48 PM
just depends on how far you want to take your "hobby". ask yourself, am i satisfied with what i have? if yes then you've spent enough

szw
01-29-2003, 11:50 PM
depends on how much disposable income you have!

Stratus_Power
01-29-2003, 11:57 PM
i say too much is when the amount of money you spent on mod is equal the the car's worth

max_boost
01-30-2003, 12:09 AM
A balance between wants and needs.....and how much money you have to make your decision......

ConVict
01-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i say too much is when the amount of money you spent on mod is equal the the car's worth

Haha in that case I am screwed ... I have put 7 times as much into mods as it is worth ... ! :rofl:

cocoabrova
01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
No such thing as too much:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i say too much is when the amount of money you spent on mod is equal the the car's worth uh oh! :D

Glowrider
01-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Too much? Why limit yourself? Go all out :) Cars are never REALLY done. There's always room for improvement.

max_boost
01-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Gonna borrow a picture from you GlowRider, hope you don't mind!

Ok....I remember on my 2000 Prelude SH I dumped so much money into that car (modding, replacing, then re-modding, labor, parts, etc.).....like close to $30K plus the price of the car which was $39K off the lot (with bodykit and other goodies) + the $10K I have spent on my current car.....I could have bought a
http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL111/772847/1612799/18932974.jpg:D

See, thats the thing! 3 years ago, I thought I could not afford the M3.....but if I didn't go crazy on my last car, I would be owning one right now!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But modding cars is part of life, its just a whole learning process.....an expensive one to boot!:eek: :eek: :eek:

But three years from now.....hopefully I will have a 2006 M3! haha :D
Ok, done my rant....:(

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Answering the question...

no more than $20,000...instead up grade the car

max_boost
01-30-2003, 12:48 AM
And Roland....last year I was contemplating what you are thinking right now.....after spending 99.9% of your money on your car, you start to think, is it really worth it? :D

mrmattyk
01-30-2003, 01:04 AM
I have a rule, I wont put more than half the cost of the car at that time into mods. Like for example if I bought a 20 thousand dollar car, I wouldn't put in more than 10k :D

Fuji
01-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Every one has to mod a car at least once. hell you only live once, so if you got the $$$ use it! No point in regretting it and trying to mod a car up (if you have te resources to get a better car you want then do that). It's all about having fun while you can cause life is pretty short, so do what you want and worry later! :)

Glowrider
01-30-2003, 01:13 AM
I dunno. You can always make more money. Just don't let a car put you in the financial gutter. When it gets to the point when you can't eat or the pay the bills because you're modding a car...it's time to slow down a bit. LOL.

rage2
01-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
but now i'm starting to really question if this is worth it since all these mods will add up to more than the value of the car itself....

Once you past the point where the mods are worth more than the car, you will then realize it's much easier to spend money... and the car's a "lifer".

shadowz
01-30-2003, 01:23 AM
Like some said previously, when it has stopped becoming fun or its become a living hell to pay for parts

Hipermax_d
01-30-2003, 01:01 PM
ill just stick to regular parts like lowering, intake, exhaust, manifold etc.
nothing huge or costly like engine swap, turbo etc.
those kind of things i will spend as much as i want after i graduate university, get a good paying job and after i know how to really manage my money

Matrix1
01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
The skys the limit:D

Lo)2enz0
01-30-2003, 10:50 PM
untill your car is barely legal to drive on the streets, or you decide its time for a new car. Personally I have set limits but hey never know what will happen.

Laurier

davidI
01-30-2003, 11:12 PM
it's a hobby. don't stop until you're satisfied. personally I'd rather have one well known intense ride than a couple of semi-done up ones.

at the same time I can go out and find a thousand ZO6's and the like but your car is probably unique. Think of it like building your own custom car. The sky is the limit. You can tailor it to fit all of your personal needs. I've heard of a lot of people regretting all of the money they put into their cars but at the same time I think they look at it from the wrong perspective. Having a nice ride gives you the key to a whole new society. It's a passion. You meet new people, share knowledge and have somewhere for your time and money to go.

Some people go out and eat lavish meals all of the time and usually all they ahve to show for it is a big gut. Atleast you have something to show for all of your money!

HondaTuner
01-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
do what you want and worry later! :)

:thumbsup:

I live by these words!

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by HondaTuner

:thumbsup:

I live by these words!

yeah same route most of us went.... now im living in debt and i hate cars... :dunno:

GTS Jeff
01-31-2003, 12:12 AM
u know, im glad 2000impreza made this thread. its made me think about my cars future.

ive come to the conclusion that im keeping my car and that im going to modify it as much as i can. the way i see it, years from now, id rather have a really modded up $2000 car instead of a stock $10000 car.

SilverRex
01-31-2003, 12:52 AM
i think it all depends on whether you will be keeping the car forever.. if you plan to sell it or trade in after a few years.. obviously u dun want to do much. if you keep it.. and its your baby as long as you live.. I would do as much as I could.. one step at a time of course

Fuji
01-31-2003, 01:05 AM
We are all on this board for a reason. We all are interested in modifying cars... some actually execute this better than others...

Think of yourself as an elite in this group of people. At least when you are old you can still say that you "heavily" modified a car.

Matrix1
01-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
i think it all depends on whether you will be keeping the car forever.. if you plan to sell it or trade in after a few years.. obviously u dun want to do much. if you keep it.. and its your baby as long as you live.. I would do as much as I could.. one step at a time of course

:werd:

No one keeps their car as long as they live?:dunno:

2000impreza
01-31-2003, 09:19 PM
the "money" thing is sort of starting to get to me. all i see is a bottomless money pit. its always... i need this.. i need that... and so on. i'm sure most of you guys know what i'm talking about.

its not that the mods put into my car doesn't make me happy...... it makes me feel really good actually... like the first time the boost guage went over from vaccum to boost.... haha. or when working countless nights in the garage getting something installed/fixed... haha good memories.

... err... with that siad.... car goes back on jacks tonight... need to do some more work on it *sigh*

buh_buh
01-31-2003, 09:23 PM
I think I should set a budget for myself next year.

rage2
01-31-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I think I should set a budget for myself next year.

Then DOUBLE it.

Silencer
02-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Then DOUBLE it.

Hahaha, so true.

GingeRRRBeef
02-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I think modding is only "worth" the money if you are having fun with it and maybe doing it yourself too. But if you are trying to make end meet to make your car faster, it's a waste of money.

I mean, unless you are planning to go on a circuit, there's really no point in constantly try to make your car faster IMO.

HOK
02-01-2003, 01:23 AM
i would say that i am TOtally satisfied with my car... I think the most important part is to set goals for it... I have made most of every goal of my car... except getting that damn 12sec timeslip...

I just wish i could drive it more often... especially turboing a NA car... it really is a bottomless pit... i'm glad i almost done...

but i want to keep the car forever...

shadowz
02-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Man its getting expensive trying to satisfy myself with the car, but it will never end until someone takes me to a intervention or something lol

90_Shelby
02-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Spend as much money as you want; make the car so you enjoy it, but be able to afford to fix it if it breaks. What ever you do don't look at your car as an investment, when it comes time to sell you will never get what you put into it.

dogstar
02-01-2003, 06:05 PM
simple formula
# of months you will own the car X 10% of your monthly income= how much an average serious enthusiast will put in their car

thats my 2 cents, in addition.... spend as much as you want without interfering with life.

just depends how long your keeping it.

m@+CH
02-03-2003, 02:11 AM
well 4 me its a hobby
of course i'm not saying i'll spend 90 grand on tuning and parts
but i'm saying...wuteva u want out of your car??
if u're content with your car's performance..looks...
then no more cash
but if theres even more potential u see
then make use of that potential
haah i see things as having potential ..i'll make use of it
so its never ending

Matrix1
02-03-2003, 02:14 AM
whatever you want to spend, you only live once;)