PDA

View Full Version : where are some places near calgary that have beaches?

Canadian 2.5RS
08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I have a friend in from out of town and we want to hit a beach. can someone tell us the various beaches around town. are there any good beaches close to town?

civicrider
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
theres that nasty swamp that people call a lake by fish creek i cant remember what its called, dont reccomend swimming there.

EDIT: its sacomie lake (sp) lots of people some hotties but the water sits all summer has no flow

t-im
08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
I have a friend in from out of town and we want to hit a beach. can someone tell us the various beaches around town. are there any good beaches close to town?

Beach + Calgary is pretty non-existent.

I say Kelowna.

~Leah~
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Around Bragg Creek somewhere is really nice

Nalgene
08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I heard that "Writing on Stone" is amazing and apparently has a beach.

After a quick search on yahoo i found this link... looks like not a bad beach seeing as its pretty close to Calgary.
Beach Link (http://www.thecampgroundcritic.com/writingonstoneprovincial_park.htm)

I plan on checking it out later this month

2002civic
08-06-2005, 03:56 PM
sylvans not to far

BokCh0y
08-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
sylvans not to far

:werd:

sylvan lake is only about an hour away depending on how fast you drive. other than that sicome is the only other place but like civicrider said - sicome = gross.

Si_FlyGuy
08-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Who comes to Calgary to see the beaches? :nut:

Elbow Falls is nice if you really want some water, but I'm not sure if you can swim in it though.

Sikome is dirty. A friend of mine saw a diaper floating out there once. :barf:

powerslave
08-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Nalgene
I heard that "Writing on Stone" is amazing and apparently has a beach.

After a quick search on yahoo i found this link... looks like not a bad beach seeing as its pretty close to Calgary.
Beach Link (http://www.thecampgroundcritic.com/writingonstoneprovincial_park.htm)

I plan on checking it out later this month

Wow, never heard of this one. Does anyone have any more info about it? How long of a drive, the easiest way to get there and overall impressions in general?

Hey, when you do check it out make sure to post about it, I'd definitely like to hear more about it.

Nalgene
08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by powerslave

Wow, never heard of this one. Does anyone have any more info about it? How long of a drive, the easiest way to get there and overall impressions in general?

Hey, when you do check it out make sure to post about it, I'd definitely like to hear more about it.

Will do. I actually heard about it on the radio. They were interviewing this couple that claimed to be to every single place in Alberta. They said Writing on Stone was their favorite. The Hoodoos their are apparently 100x better then the ones in Drumeller and there are hikes you can do where you can see the oldest evidence of cave writings on the North American plains. Seems like a good weekend trip.

"Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park
One of the largest areas of protected prairie in Alberta's parks network; preserves significant coulee & prairie wildlife habitats; an archaeological preserve protects the largest concentration of native rock paintings & carvings on the North American Plains; reconstructed Northwest Mounted Police outpost depicts the area's role in bringing law & order to the Canadian west."

Location: 32 km east of Milk River on SH 501 and 10 km south on access road
Distance to Calgary: 350 km

Looks like its not really near Calgary, thought it was alot closer. Still seems like something worth checking out.

dooman24
08-06-2005, 09:53 PM
:werd: silven lake.. big lake..

civicrider
08-07-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah for driving 350K i would goto invermere or sylvan

Nalgene
08-07-2005, 05:08 PM
true. But im not really going there for just the beach. The hikes in the back country with hoodoos and cave paintings would be really cool.

k_dawg
08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by civicrider
yeah for driving 350K i would goto invermere or sylvan

I agree invermere is only 280k as well so not a long trip.
Other than that the only places I know that resemble a beach in calgary is probably sylvan lake, elbow falls or Sandy beach (its called sandy beach but its not really a beach at all more like a place to bbq, throw a football around, and theres a mini river that flows through). Its in calgary though which is the only good thing because you don't have to travel far.

mo_virgin
08-08-2005, 08:52 AM
The best ones are the private communities lakes... bonivista, midnapore, sundance... they are all nice enough. Still pretty dirty though. Its a real shame that Calgary doesnt have a coast... it would be the perfect city.

Phats
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
writing on stone is really fun, nice campground cool hoodoo's for hiking nice beach. not quite 350 k's, we made it there in about 3 hrs and that was with a stop in lethbridge for supplies. I definitely recommend it, fun times for sure.

DannyO
08-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll throw in McKenzie Lake since it wasn't mentioned, its pretty nice, it is a community beach though, so you'll need a friend that lives there that will have a pass card, but its not too far, and theres always nice eyecandy there.

asp integra
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
The best ones are the private communities lakes... bonivista, midnapore, sundance... they are all nice enough. Still pretty dirty though. Its a real shame that Calgary doesnt have a coast... it would be the perfect city.

i was at midnapre yesterday for a friends b day party and it was alot of fun, the lake was pretty clean too, i went for a swin and it was nice

creeper
09-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Gull Lake, bitch!

:hijack: